Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish driving licence renewal

Spanish driving licence renewal

Old Mar 14th 2024, 4:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish driving licence renewal

The ones I have used do the whole process, including the photo if needed and they submit iyour application online.. You do nothing apart from pay and walk out with a piece of paper to use instead of a licence until the new one arrives in the post.

If you have the Mi DGT app on your phone, the licence on it will be updated within a few days.
Old Mar 14th 2024, 4:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
You mean he went to technico place for the aptitude test.? They don't renew your licence though.
You renew your licence by going to one of the centres. They do the photo, medical, and the aptitude test. All done in one appointment. No hassle of going from place to place and the new licence arrives in the post. Perfect, straightforward, quick and easy.

Rosemary
Old Mar 14th 2024, 4:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, ha, Fred and I were typing at the same time.

Rosemary
Old Mar 14th 2024, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
You renew your licence by going to one of the centres. They do the photo, medical, and the aptitude test. All done in one appointment. No hassle of going from place to place and the new licence arrives in the post. Perfect, straightforward, quick and easy.

Rosemary
Yes that's what I thought .
Old Mar 14th 2024, 5:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I did mention the Mi DGT app and I would recommend it to anyone resident in Spain. It contains a virtual copy of both side of your licence and your current "Puntos", your insurance details and full vehicle detail. These include a copy of the car papers, all of its specifications and extras plus details of your last ITV. Also it contains all your personal details.

You can apply for documents, such as a replacement licence etc and receive details of any fine that may be due.

No need to carry any of these documents. You do need a Cl@ve or digital certificate to authorise it.
Old Mar 14th 2024, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
This morning I went with my 86-year-old buddy (yes 86) to the centre in Torrevieja to get his driving licence renewed - they agreed to renew his licence for 3 years - he read the bottom line of the eye chart (had his cataracts done in January) and said he scored well on the reactions test on the PC.(Incredible!).
I strongly doubt anyone has ever failed it!

I have a friend of similar age with Parkinsons, she needs both hands drink from a cup or a glass but passed nevertheless.

It's not how often you stray from the lines btw, but how quickly you react and get back on track.
Old Mar 14th 2024, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I did mention the Mi DGT app and I would recommend it to anyone resident in Spain. It contains a virtual copy of both side of your licence and your current "Puntos", your insurance details and full vehicle detail. These include a copy of the car papers, all of its specifications and extras plus details of your last ITV. Also it contains all your personal details.

You can apply for documents, such as a replacement licence etc and receive details of any fine that may be due.

No need to carry any of these documents. You do need a Cl@ve or digital certificate to authorise it.
Agreed Fred I find it an excellent app. We are away from home for a break and I got messages from MiDGT the other day to tell me I was within 3 months of licence renewal an excellent free app.
Old Mar 14th 2024, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
My understanding is there are places that do the whole lot for you , renewal medical apptitude test photograph all in one ? Certainly hope so as I have just had had my 3 month notice for renewal from MiDGT. I am planning on doing it through a place close to us that do the whole renewal and new licence is sent through post.
If you already have a licence the place you go to for the medical will do it all and online as well.
You only need to go to the Police or Traffico if you loose your licence...

My neighbour did his last week via IMED in Benidorm..
Old Mar 14th 2024, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Barriej
If you already have a licence the place you go to for the medical will do it all and online as well.
You only need to go to the Police or Traffico if you loose your licence...

My neighbour did his last week via IMED in Benidorm..
Yes mine is renewal of Spanish licence.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we went to a ‘Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores’ – registered driving licence medical assessment centre, who as the others say can do the whole process and obviate the need to visit a DGT office.

I think the 'health' side of the process varies greatly between centres (I have used a few) and whilst some are very thorough with the questions, eye test etc others are happy to get you in and out and take the money.

Thanks Fred, didn't know the app was so useful.

Anyway the main point of my earlier post was to say an 86-year-old got a 3 year renewal.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At these renewal centres what documentation is required for the renewal?
Old Mar 17th 2024, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Just your TIE/residencia and current licence - remember you cannot apply for a renewal more than 3 months from expiry.

If you ask them to do the DGT admin process (ie the actual application) they will take a digital photo to submit to DGT.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spainrico
Just your TIE/residencia and current licence - remember you cannot apply for a renewal more than 3 months from expiry.

If you ask them to do the DGT admin process (ie the actual application) they will take a digital photo to submit to DGT.
Thanks I need to sort it out as just had notification from the DgTI app to renew as within 3 months. I'm away from home at the moment and will sort it out as soon as I return. I have identified a local renewal centre that do the whole process. Thanks for reply
Old Mar 17th 2024, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Did mine the other day, 35 minutes in total. Eye test, co-ordination test, photo taken and left with temporary permission to drive. I was told that the replacement would take about 6 weeks and would be valid for 5 years (the maximum I could get being 68). The new drivers licence was on the MiDGT app before I got home. Brilliant service 60€ in total.
The five year´s expiry was from when the old one expired, not from the date I applied for the renewal, so no loss from applying early.

Last edited by stevesainty; Mar 17th 2024 at 5:33 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevesainty
Did mine the other day, 35 minutes in total. Eye test, co-ordination test, photo taken and left with temporary permission to drive. I was told that the replacement would take about 6 weeks and would be valid for 5 years (the maximum I could get being 68). The new drivers licence was on the MiDGT app before I got home. Brilliant service 60€ in total.
The five year´s expiry was from when the old one expired, not from the date I applied for the renewal, so no loss from applying early.
That's good to know . I will sort mine out asap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.