Reload this Page >

Setting up a Sydney Style Cafe in Gandia

Setting up a Sydney Style Cafe in Gandia

Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

ThomasRozant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Setting up a Sydney Style Cafe in Gandia

Originally Posted by avocados
Don't listen to the plebs on here; they're about as negative and ill informed as it gets.

The most popular establishments (of the kind u are referencing) for the LOCALS in my town - a German bakery and a French cafe.

If u have quality, the Spanish locals will buy it. They too, are tired of the cheap rubbish.
I thought so, I mean, the bakery/cafe franchizes like "Pans y Company" have popped up everywhere in spain... I also think people are keen to pay a little extra for something different and better than the poorly made traditional...
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
Don't listen to the plebs on here; they're about as negative and ill informed as it gets.

The most popular establishments (of the kind u are referencing) for the LOCALS in my town - a German bakery and a French cafe.

If u have quality, the Spanish locals will buy it. They too, are tired of the cheap rubbish.
A Happy New Year to you too! Sounds like an interesting outlook on humanity that you have there.

I have noticed that in some parts of Spain a cafe can change hands and the long time customers will still frequent it even though the original owners have long gone. Not so much about quality of product but more about familiar location and habit. Hence a lot of the newly owned Chinese run cafes have a loyal clientèle, due to competitive pricing and indifference on the part of the patron.
Long may they prosper! I wish the OP good fortune and if they open a place I will pop in. I of course aspire to the higher things in life, us plebs do that you know.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
A Happy New Year to you too! Sounds like an interesting outlook on humanity that you have there.

I have noticed that in some parts of Spain a cafe can change hands and the long time customers will still frequent it even though the original owners have long gone. Not so much about quality of product but more about familiar location and habit. Hence a lot of the newly owned Chinese run cafes have a loyal clientèle, due to competitive pricing and indifference on the part of the patron.
Long may they prosper! I wish the OP good fortune and if they open a place I will pop in. I of course aspire to the higher things in life, us plebs do that you know.
Well said pleb. As always a lot of research is needed and I don't necessarily agree with avocado's comment " If u have quality, the Spanish locals will buy it. They too, are tired of the cheap rubbish"

Yes everyone wants quality but it's a question if locals can afford it and if the business has the right pricing for the area. Pans & Company has a name now, so people feel comfortable going there.
It also doesn't mean that all stores are doing well and location is key.

If people can buy their coffee for a €1 they won't want to spend €2, otherwise they'll make their own coffee at home. After all we are just plebs.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:18 am
Just Joined

ThomasRozant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well said pleb. As always a lot of research is needed and I don't necessarily agree with avocado's comment " If u have quality, the Spanish locals will buy it. They too, are tired of the cheap rubbish"

Yes everyone wants quality but it's a question if locals can afford it and if the business has the right pricing for the area. Pans & Company has a name now, so people feel comfortable going there.
It also doesn't mean that all stores are doing well and location is key.

If people can buy their coffee for a €1 they won't want to spend €2, otherwise they'll make their own coffee at home. After all we are just plebs.
Thank you for your feedback, of course we know what the competition does, and in the current economy, price is a determinant factor. Although, we dont plan on competing on the price and go as low as cheap coffee prices, we know that we cannot go too high either, I mean, for 1E you get what you pay for (burnt watery mud in most cases) so of course we've got to price it up, but we'll keep it under the 2E mark, as it is psychological threshold we think.
Also, dont forget we're talking about Gandia's city center, not a small country town.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThomasRozant
Thank you for your feedback, of course we know what the competition does, and in the current economy, price is a determinant factor. Although, we dont plan on competing on the price and go as low as cheap coffee prices, we know that we cannot go too high either, I mean, for 1E you get what you pay for (burnt watery mud in most cases) so of course we've got to price it up, but we'll keep it under the 2E mark, as it is psychological threshold we think.
Also, dont forget we're talking about Gandia's city center, not a small country town.

There are some very good cafe bars in Gandia around the town hall and all charge less than 2Euro for a generally good coffee.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Gandia city does seem to have an awful lot of cafes many of which are nothing special. There are though a lot of good places and chains have been mentioned,

cafe Valiente group are a good example of a respectable chain doing fair business in the area.

Cafés Valiente

Cafe Ronda

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...83548347907518

Another style altogether is Pastisseria Salva

https://www.facebook.com/pastisseria.salva/
Old Jan 28th 2017, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

Really interesting proposition as i have just been looking at nice daytime cafes in uk cities. I know the streets of gandia you are looking at too. I fear the rents and running costs would make the business difficult. Here in Denia on a good street it could work as there is more tourism. I like illy too and its not much more, i could not see spanish residents paying 2e.

In the uk i paid 8-9 gbp for a decent coffee and 2 poached eggs on toast, it would be 5e here.

Good luck, post up any questions
Old Jan 31st 2017, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

6 plus years ago an English couple opened a cafe in the centre of Gandia in a square with 4 other cafes.One of my neighbours smiled and said they'd be closed within a year.Still going strong,good product plus hard work and it can be done.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidinspain
6 plus years ago an English couple opened a cafe in the centre of Gandia in a square with 4 other cafes.One of my neighbours smiled and said they'd be closed within a year.Still going strong,good product plus hard work and it can be done.

It can always be done. However, a busy cafe isn't automatically successful.
Some people manage to keep cafes for years but never really made money and just about cover their costs. Others keep pumping in savings and some just do it for fun.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It can always be done. However, a busy cafe isn't automatically successful.
Some people manage to keep cafes for years but never really made money and just about cover their costs. Others keep pumping in savings and some just do it for fun.
They are doing well (well enough to close for a months holiday after the Xmas period).Pumping in savings for 6 years would be some trick if you could do it (triads money launderers perhaps)