Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Query re moving

Query re moving

Old Oct 12th 2017, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query re moving

Maybe Rotor,you have had a bad experience re house purchase,which can happen anywhere in the world.I can only say that we came here in the 1980,s before Spain joined the EU & bought our house & business without a problem from Spanish owners.Just after bought another property & since then have bought & sold at least six times,again no problem.The system here is straight forward in that you have a good idea that your buyer is genuine or will lose his deposit,likewise the seller or forfeit cash.Personally the only time I ever had a property headache was selling our UK home prior to coming to Spain.The new owner who knew we were emigrating,on the morning of exchange,asked for 10000 pounds off the agreed price or "no deal",so we said"no deal chum".The UK system is so shaky,I think.However I did sell a house in Scotland under their rules,simply by a"given word" to a Solicitor which was legally binding.Maybe it has changed now but nice at that time to see"my word is my bond" working.Don't be afraid,informaniac to take the step you want otherwise you may never follow your dream.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Why would Spain kick us out??
Because you drive up house prices, you don't work, get sick, clog the roads and the beaches, because Spanish citizens might get deported from and mistreated in the UK or simply because you are foreigners... welcome to the new world of Brexit. Best advise is get Spanish citizenship as soon as possible. Only then will you be safe.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Because you drive up house prices, you don't work, get sick, clog the roads and the beaches, because Spanish citizens might get deported from and mistreated in the UK or simply because you are foreigners... welcome to the new world of Brexit. Best advise is get Spanish citizenship as soon as possible. Only then will you be safe.
But the UK trades £870 million with Spain per annum - do you seriously think Spain will/can allow that to disappear...............
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

infomaniac is an unknown quantity at this point

dougal03 and Assanah, thanks for your replies. We are going for it-and will definitely be applying for citizenship asap. Knowing our luck civil war will break out as soon as we set foot in Spain but hey ho!!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

What a ridiculous comment. Loads of us rent so have nothing to do with house prices.
I don't work but I put loads of money into the economy and pay taxes here.
In my 3 years here I've never visited the doctor and have always paid for my own meds.
I don't clog the roads because I don't drive. I pay money to public transport companies.
Very rare I sit on the beach.
The rest of your comments are just claptrap. Brit expats here are made very welcome.

Last edited by tebo53; Oct 12th 2017 at 2:53 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

The problems you mention exist everywhere in the world but Spain as a whole needs foreigners/tourists. For example, a house owner wanting to sell in a small inland town in Murcia will be happy for any potential buyer, so a few British pushing prices up might be welcome, while the person renting in Palma might think like you, as he or she can hardly afford the rent and will never be able to buy. Of course the person who knew Benidorm as a fishing village and actually likes nature will also have a reason.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by infomaniac
dougal03 and Assanah, thanks for your replies. We are going for it-and will definitely be applying for citizenship asap. Knowing our luck civil war will break out as soon as we set foot in Spain but hey ho!!
Sometimes it might seem that there are too many obstacles but my advice is to just go for it.

We made the decision to move and a week later Cameron announced the Brexit referendum................ we cracked on regardless, found a place and were ready to pay our deposit when May lost the election and the GBP/Euro exchange rate went through the floor. Now the unrest in Catalonia......

Our view is, the more difficult it becomes, the more certain you will be about your decision and it will seem all the more worthwhile when you get there in the end.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

infomaniac is an unknown quantity at this point

My sentiments exactly Keiron We have waited literally years to do this and while the sensible option would undoubtedly be to wait, we don't really want to put our lives on hold any longer. I still feel a bit wobbly underneath to be honest but I'm sure it will all be worth it
Old Oct 12th 2017, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Maybe Rotor,you have had a bad experience re house purchase,which can happen anywhere in the world.I can only say that we came here in the 1980,s before Spain joined the EU & bought our house & business without a problem from Spanish owners.Just after bought another property & since then have bought & sold at least six times,again no problem.The system here is straight forward in that you have a good idea that your buyer is genuine or will lose his deposit,likewise the seller or forfeit cash.Personally the only time I ever had a property headache was selling our UK home prior to coming to Spain.The new owner who knew we were emigrating,on the morning of exchange,asked for 10000 pounds off the agreed price or "no deal",so we said"no deal chum".The UK system is so shaky,I think.However I did sell a house in Scotland under their rules,simply by a"given word" to a Solicitor which was legally binding.Maybe it has changed now but nice at that time to see"my word is my bond" working.Don't be afraid,informaniac to take the step you want otherwise you may never follow your dream.
I`ve been lucky with purchases in Spain but I could name half a dozen who have all had expensive issues , things such as legality of ownership, rights of way , planning, and bad neighbours and tenants .
Yes you can have the same issues in the UK but not by the same proportion.