Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Proof of income for residency

Proof of income for residency

Old May 16th 2012, 2:32 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of income for residency

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I wonder exactly when it changed??

I just looked at the letters on my students' numbers & tried to remember how long they've been here - if your BH has had hers for 3 years then some of them have been here longer than I realised!!
block allocation to the various issueing authorities ??
Old May 16th 2012, 2:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
block allocation to the various issueing authorities ??
mebbe
Old May 16th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Until now I thought it was a sex thing we applied simultaneously, I am X and my wife is Y. it's six or seven years ago now can't recall.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

I hadn't realised that "Y" existed for so long. I had assumed that all foreigners were "X", but obviously not.

Actually that's a relief as I thought it might have been connected to the new rules to be implemented.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst trying to make sense of the new rules, until the official verdict is out, I have trawled the net and eventually ended up on the Spanish Government website.
I get the impression that you must be able to prove an income greater than the level at which a Spanish national would be eligible to receive social security and also have medical insurance or the equivalent EU reciprocal arrangement ie. for pensioners.

However the dependants of those pensioners, viz. me as the spouse, must either be under 26 years old, I wish, or be disabled at 65% or more.

If what I have inferred is correct then I must take out private medical insurance to ensure that I am covered. This is of course until the whole thing is sorted out and the original reciprocal arrangement is restored, or not.

This is a googled translation of the relevant part of the new law.

Article 1. Amendment of Law 16/2003 of 28 May, cohesion and quality of the NHS.
Law 16/2003 of 28 May, cohesion and quality of the NHS, is amended as follows:
One is amending Article 3, which shall read as follows:
"Article 3. Of insured status.
1. Healthcare in Spain, with public funds, through the National Health System will ensure those who have the status of insured.
2. For this purpose, have the status of insured persons who are in one of the following assumptions:
a) Be employed person or self, member of the Social Security and in situations of high or assimilated to high.
b) To hold the status as a pensioner of the Social Security system.
c) Be a recipient of any other periodic benefit from Social Security, including the provision and unemployment benefits.
d) Have exhausted the benefit or unemployment benefit and included in the appropriate office registered as unemployed, not crediting the insured status under any other title.
3. Where failure to comply with any of the cases set out above, people of Spanish nationality or of any State member of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland who reside in Spain and foreigners holding a permit to reside Spanish territory, may bear the insured status provided they show proof that do not exceed the income limit determined by regulation.
4. For the purposes of the provisions of this Article, shall have the status of beneficiaries of an insured, provided they reside in Spain, the spouse or person with a similar relationship, which must prove the official entry for the former spouse by the insured and by the descendants of the same to be under 26 or have a disability equal to or greater than 65%.
5. Those who do not have the status of the insured or beneficiary thereof may obtain health care delivery by paying the relevant consideration or fee resulting from the signing of a special agreement.
6. Nothing in the preceding paragraphs of this article does not change the health care system of persons holding or receiving special schemes managed by the Social Security Mutual Society General State Civil Servants, the General Mutual Judicial and Social Institute Armed Forces, who retain their separate legal status.
In this regard, people framed in such mutual funds that have elected to receive health care through insurance entities should be treated in health facilities entered into by these entities. If you receive care in public hospitals, the expenditure for assistance to the third party must be reclaimed in accordance with current regulations. "
Old May 19th 2012, 10:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty
Whilst trying to make sense of the new rules, until the official verdict is out, I have trawled the net and eventually ended up on the Spanish Government website.
I get the impression that you must be able to prove an income greater than the level at which a Spanish national would be eligible to receive social security and also have medical insurance or the equivalent EU reciprocal arrangement ie. for pensioners.

However the dependants of those pensioners, viz. me as the spouse, must either be under 26 years old, I wish, or be disabled at 65% or more.

If what I have inferred is correct then I must take out private medical insurance to ensure that I am covered. This is of course until the whole thing is sorted out and the original reciprocal arrangement is restored, or not.

This is a googled translation of the relevant part of the new law.

Article 1. Amendment of Law 16/2003 of 28 May, cohesion and quality of the NHS.
Law 16/2003 of 28 May, cohesion and quality of the NHS, is amended as follows:
One is amending Article 3, which shall read as follows:
"Article 3. Of insured status.
1. Healthcare in Spain, with public funds, through the National Health System will ensure those who have the status of insured.
2. For this purpose, have the status of insured persons who are in one of the following assumptions:
a) Be employed person or self, member of the Social Security and in situations of high or assimilated to high.
b) To hold the status as a pensioner of the Social Security system.
c) Be a recipient of any other periodic benefit from Social Security, including the provision and unemployment benefits.
d) Have exhausted the benefit or unemployment benefit and included in the appropriate office registered as unemployed, not crediting the insured status under any other title.
3. Where failure to comply with any of the cases set out above, people of Spanish nationality or of any State member of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland who reside in Spain and foreigners holding a permit to reside Spanish territory, may bear the insured status provided they show proof that do not exceed the income limit determined by regulation.
4. For the purposes of the provisions of this Article, shall have the status of beneficiaries of an insured, provided they reside in Spain, the spouse or person with a similar relationship, which must prove the official entry for the former spouse by the insured and by the descendants of the same to be under 26 or have a disability equal to or greater than 65%.
5. Those who do not have the status of the insured or beneficiary thereof may obtain health care delivery by paying the relevant consideration or fee resulting from the signing of a special agreement.
6. Nothing in the preceding paragraphs of this article does not change the health care system of persons holding or receiving special schemes managed by the Social Security Mutual Society General State Civil Servants, the General Mutual Judicial and Social Institute Armed Forces, who retain their separate legal status.
In this regard, people framed in such mutual funds that have elected to receive health care through insurance entities should be treated in health facilities entered into by these entities. If you receive care in public hospitals, the expenditure for assistance to the third party must be reclaimed in accordance with current regulations. "
hmmmm - that second bit's interesting - if that holds, then what happens to those spouses of pensioners who have up until now been covered?

will they have to give their cards back?

edit - it's a bad translation

it says the spouse is covered & so are descendants under the age of 26 or at least 65% disabled

Last edited by lynnxa; May 19th 2012 at 10:37 am.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I understood that the new Law was going to be "ratified" last Thursday but although keeping my eye open haven´t seen anything more about it in the press.
Old May 19th 2012, 11:05 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly this is not the new law that has just been introduced. The new law is Ley 16/2012, de 20 de abril and that relates to a number of new provisions regarding healthcare in Spain particularly relating to prescription drugs.

Secondly this new law has a clause which modifies the existing residency law which is Ley 240/2007, de 16 de febrero

The other law that has been quoted relates to who is entitled to healthcare generally. The pensioners that it refers to are Spanish state pensioners, not foreigners. Basically it is saying that you are covered if you are working or self employed paying into the system, on social security benefits, or registered unemployed. If you don't fall into these categories then Spaniards or foreigners will be covered if their income DOES NOT exceed the amount laid down (whatever that is?)

If you qualify as an "insured" person under these rules then your dependents are covered. Dependents being your spouse or children under 26 or children of any age if they are disabled.

None of this is directly relevant to the new rules for foreigners who want to reside in Spain and need to sign on the register. Clearly if they are working they will be covered but if not working and not pensioners etc then that's where the problem arises. Before these new rules came in they didn't need to bother about either income or health cover.
Old May 19th 2012, 11:09 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I understood that the new Law was going to be "ratified" last Thursday but although keeping my eye open haven´t seen anything more about it in the press.
I'm not sure what the "ratification" process involves, but at the bottom of the law published in the BOE (state bulletin) it says

Disposición final novena. Entrada en vigor.

El presente real decreto-ley entrará en vigor el mismo día de su publicación en el «Boletín Oficial del Estado».

Dado en Madrid, el 20 de abril de 2012.

JUAN CARLOS R.

El Presidente del Gobierno,
MARIANO RAJOY BREY

I would take that to mean that it is now in force and has been since April 20th unless this "ratification" process comes after this.
Old May 19th 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Firstly this is not the new law that has just been introduced. The new law is Ley 16/2012, de 20 de abril and that relates to a number of new provisions regarding healthcare in Spain particularly relating to prescription drugs.

Secondly this new law has a clause which modifies the existing residency law which is Ley 240/2007, de 16 de febrero

The other law that has been quoted relates to who is entitled to healthcare generally. The pensioners that it refers to are Spanish state pensioners, not foreigners. Basically it is saying that you are covered if you are working or self employed paying into the system, on social security benefits, or registered unemployed. If you don't fall into these categories then Spaniards or foreigners will be covered if their income DOES NOT exceed the amount laid down (whatever that is?)

If you qualify as an "insured" person under these rules then your dependents are covered. Dependents being your spouse or children under 26 or children of any age if they are disabled.

None of this is directly relevant to the new rules for foreigners who want to reside in Spain and need to sign on the register. Clearly if they are working they will be covered but if not working and not pensioners etc then that's where the problem arises. Before these new rules came in they didn't need to bother about either income or health cover.
This is the one that was supposed to be ratified or be passed or something like that.
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just received this from the FCO.

Thank you for your email regarding the new residency requirements in Spain. The British Consulate is aware that the Spanish authorities have made some changes to the administration procedure for residency certificates in 2012. We are in contact with the Spanish authorities to establish what these changes mean for British Nationals living in Spain and will update our web page with details as they become available.
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:12 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just received this from the FCO.

Thank you for your email regarding the new residency requirements in Spain. The British Consulate is aware that the Spanish authorities have made some changes to the administration procedure for residency certificates in 2012. We are in contact with the Spanish authorities to establish what these changes mean for British Nationals living in Spain and will update our web page with details as they become available.
so nothing new there
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I phoned our office and asked if they were issuing them and they said yes so we will see tomorrow when I go back down.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

purpleflower is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with that, hope it goes smoothly Chiclanagir
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:54 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I have something to ask you good people.

All this talk about proof of INCOME.

Well, when the law changed in 2007 it changed in Italy but it doesn't talk about proof of income - it just talks about funds.

In the sense that you can come here as retired and just pove that you have enough money in the bank to keep you for at least the first year of residency. Last time I checked the average was about 5.400 euro per adult per year.

A savings account is enough to prove money and you don't have to prove an income. You have to prove that you can keep yourself and have health insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.