Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is my residency certificate still valid?

Is my residency certificate still valid?

Old May 8th 2024, 8:50 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my residency certificate still valid?

According to this it seems to be if you were an early retiree with residency before April 2012 with less than €100,000/year income and you can show you can't get healthcare elsewhere. I can't imagine there are many people who qualify now.

Last edited by DLC; May 8th 2024 at 8:55 pm.
Old May 9th 2024, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
According to this it seems to be if you were an early retiree with residency before April 2012 with less than €100,000/year income and you can show you can't get healthcare elsewhere. I can't imagine there are many people who qualify now.
Yes this is what I mean. I came in 1998 and have friends who were resident before 2012 and are not at retirement age but have free healthcare. They didn't have to have any letter of exportación It was simply automatic.
Old May 9th 2024, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Pre-2012 residents have to contribute in the same way as someone Spanish would more less. As I'll have paid into Spanish social security most of my working life when I retire I won't need to make any more payments or an S1.

But someone who paid social security abroad all their working life then came to Spain to retire before 2012 does need an S1 or similar agreement or pay the convenio especial.
But Spanish get free healthcare!!!
Old May 9th 2024, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

If the OP is not at retirement age in UK and they do not need to present any new documents to get TIE then that means their pre 2012 residency gives them free healthcare - so they don't need private healthcare or the convenio
Old May 9th 2024, 7:32 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
But Spanish get free healthcare!!!
... are you sure? I thought (have been told by some Spanish friends) it's only whilst working
Old May 9th 2024, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... are you sure? I thought (have been told by some Spanish friends) it's only whilst working
No. All Spanish nationals have free healthcare irrespective of contributions

Qué es la asistencia sanitaria de la Seguridad Social?

La prestación de asistencia sanitaria garantiza el acceso a los servicios médicos y farmacéuticos del Sistema Nacional de Salud necesarios para conservar y restablecer la salud.

Son titulares del derecho a la protección de la salud y a la atención sanitaria todas las personas que:
  • Tengan nacionalidad española y residencia habitual en el territorio español.

Last edited by 1sexsmith; May 9th 2024 at 7:58 am.
Old May 9th 2024, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP is not at retirement age in UK and they do not need to present any new documents to get TIE then that means their pre 2012 residency gives them free healthcare - so they don't need private healthcare or the convenio
Yes if the person is not retirement age or on a specific benefit they would not get an S1 hence I said if entitled to an S1. I see what you are saying if they were here before and are entitled to free Spanish healthcare they may be able to use this system. From a personal point of view I wouldn't see that as the right thing to do but each to their own morals. The OP has sorted out their residency which is a good thing for them. from what I have read to get healthcare under this system although one doesn't need an S1 my understanding is they will need official proof they have no other means of getting healthcare in Spain? That may well mean a simple letter from NHS/DWP to prove that but could also mean some form of means testing by Spanish on ones income? As I say I think it's a bit rich to claim this having left Spain for literally the period of time that this law was passed. I personally would just be happy to retain my residency which I would take as a bonus.
​​​​​
Old May 9th 2024, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
Yes if the person is not retirement age or on a specific benefit they would not get an S1 hence I said if entitled to an S1. I see what you are saying if they were here before and are entitled to free Spanish healthcare they may be able to use this system. From a personal point of view I wouldn't see that as the right thing to do but each to their own morals. The OP has sorted out their residency which is a good thing for them. from what I have read to get healthcare under this system although one doesn't need an S1 my understanding is they will need official proof they have no other means of getting healthcare in Spain? That may well mean a simple letter from NHS/DWP to prove that but could also mean some form of means testing by Spanish on ones income? As I say I think it's a bit rich to claim this having left Spain for literally the period of time that this law was passed. I personally would just be happy to retain my residency which I would take as a bonus.
​​​​​
The moral issue aside. The odd thing , which I am pointing out , is that as they now simply pick up a TIE card they don't need to prove healthcare. If they take that card to their local central salud they should then get free healthcare as the system will pick them up as being resident since 2012 and presumably they will get a new health card. Admittedly it seems very fortunate - but the ramifications are that any of us who have residency can leave Spain for much more than 2 or 5 years and return anytime we want.
Old May 9th 2024, 2:37 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

No. All Spanish nationals have free healthcare irrespective of contributions

Qué es la asistencia sanitaria de la Seguridad Social?

La prestación de asistencia sanitaria garantiza el acceso a los servicios médicos y farmacéuticos del Sistema Nacional de Salud necesarios para conservar y restablecer la salud.

Son titulares del derecho a la protección de la salud y a la atención sanitaria todas las personas que:
  • Tengan nacionalidad española y residencia habitual en el territorio español.
That's the theory, but this link from Barcelona town council shows you what you need to get coverage started:
The following requirements must be met for insured person status:
  • Being registered or in an equivalent position (employed workers, self-employed individuals, Social Security pensioners or beneficiaries of social security or unemployment benefits and signatories to a special covenant with Social Security)
  • Being legally resident in Spain and not having mandatory healthcare coverage through another channel.
  • Minors who are wards of the Authorities are also entitled.
And some regions are more likely to give coverage for certain things than others. Link here, see the links to the right, the PDF in English has a map on page 4 of different kinds of coverage per region.

By the way, the OP san check current status with social security here. If it says he's got coverage then he can ask for a "Documento acreditativo del derecho a asistencia sanitaria pública" to take to the GPs and sign on and get a healthcare card. If not then a meeting one of those conditions and maybe a visit to the social security office is needed to get that document.

Last edited by DLC; May 9th 2024 at 2:42 pm.