Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long term/permanent expats & Nationality

Long term/permanent expats & Nationality

Old Aug 17th 2017, 5:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term/permanent expats & Nationality

Originally Posted by Rufi
Hi, as far as I know Spain doesn't actually have a dual nationality agreement with the UK. If you decide to get Spanish nationality you must give in your passport.What actually happens is that the Uk receive your passport and then send it back to you. I was told this at the British Embassy years ago. I would like Spain to have a dual nationality agreement with the UK, I believe that maybe this would be a step forward (Maybe=perhaps)!
That's not necessary and it's meaningless in legal terms. You only 'renounce' your British citizenship in front of a Spanish official to satisfy Spanish citizenship requirements but it has zero effect on your British citizenship under British nationality law.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Rufi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, so the British Embassy were totally correct. I would like the Spanish government to allow dual nationality by law, an official agreement.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

I think you will find that according to Spanish law, I'm not far from being wrong, but laws change daily here!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

The truth is this, as far as I know. Spain has no dual nationality agreement with the UK. You decide to become Spanish, by law you must give up your passport and British nationality. Your passport is sent to the British Embassy, the Uk receive your passport, it belongs to you, so it is sent back to you as you are British, according to British law! I could also be wrong about this.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Everything is so easy with Internet, just look into it, find out, ask questions, look on official web sites, ask the British Embassy!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 10:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Everything is so easy with Internet, just look into it, find out, ask questions, look on official web sites, ask the British Embassy!
I'd rather listen to BritinParis than hand over my passport to the Spanish authorities.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 3:59 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'd rather listen to BritinParis than hand over my passport to the Spanish authorities.
Well, if you want to live in England, I'd have to agree. But if you plan to live in the EU, your British passport won't likely do you much good after 2019.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Since Brexit we have seen nationality applications soar in expat 'home countries' = HC. Including Ireland, who have run out of forms!!

By this I mean people who have decided to leave the UK and make a new life at the HC (like me). Our UK passport gives us the right to return at any time, but I know many expats, across Europe, that don't see this as their plan. So now they are seeking nationality/permanent residence or equivalent, depending on the country.

Sticking to those going for full blown nationality, and who have been resident a long time, I have a question. In a post referendum world, do the HC countries have a 'moral argument' to say 'you are only seeking nationality as a result of brexit, otherwise you would have applied before'?

National pride and annoyance over brexit gives the HC a case, for post-brexit applications, yes or no?

I am NOT suggesting that expats should be kicked out, just wondering if the HC has an argument to reject nationality, based on this.

I do wonder why people didn't go for dual nationality before (where possible), if they had planned to be resident for the long term or for ever. Even without a well publicised referendum on the cards. The referendum coming in the future would only trigger that in the past IMO.

Now there are a lot of worried people (as we've seen across the forum), many going for nationality only now. I do think many should have done it before, as now the demand is so high that there must be delays.

I suspect I'm setting myself up to be flamed but actually wondering what people feel about this and vice-versa should the UK give nationality too?

Jon
Jon, my friend, you pose an interesting philosophical question.

Maybe seeking naturalisation in another state, particularly if the 2nd (or 1st) is an ongoing member of the EU, is an attempt to mitigate – at a personal level – some of the damage done by Brexit, i.e. a means to retain the freedoms of movement, work and residence which others enjoy by remaining members of the EU (cake and eat it?).

Maybe there are some – perhaps 48% in the UK – who believe in the European ideal? After all, the EU is more than just a political and economic construct; it’s not even a bureaucratic one. It was originally founded on idealistic principles to counter the nationalism and jingoism which had caused at least two major wars in the 20th century and countless more before then; about removing the trading inequalities and jealousies; removing divisions rather that creating them. Maybe it’s more about preventing the impositions on the poor and weak by the rich and strong; about being good neighbours and good friends? Maybe some believe in ‘love they neighbour’ and ‘it is better to give than receive’ and other unfashionable beliefs?

[Quite frankly I find the rise of isolationism with its attendant nationalism and xenophobia to be upsetting and frightening. I fear that my children or maybe my grandchildren will eventually have to face the inevitable consequences of the rise in nationalism, populism and extremism. Will we never learn the lessons of history?]

The EU is not about surrendering sovereignty – it was/is about pooling it, sharing it, growing it to something bigger and better. It’s about cultural enrichment; it’s about living with and embracing differences; it’s about the future, not the past.

The EU has its faults in its implementation but not in its philosophy. Maybe we should make more effort to fix its faults rather than chucking the baby out with the bathwater!

Maybe, who knows?, rather than rodents fleeing a sinking ship, other HCs (sic) will see those seeking naturalisation as good Europeans and welcome them with open arms – unlikely I know and harsh but true.

PS: Maybe some of us are not just remoaners maybe we are the unheeded idealists; the optimistic minority not the pessimistic majority?
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:08 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

The truth is this, as far as I know. Spain has no dual nationality agreement with the UK. You decide to become Spanish, by law you must give up your passport and British nationality. Your passport is sent to the British Embassy, the Uk receive your passport, it belongs to you, so it is sent back to you as you are British, according to British law! I could also be wrong about this.
I was granted Spanish Nationality not too long ago, I was not required to surrender my passport.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Yes that's fine, but it still doesn't change the fact that according to Spanish law there is no dual nationality agreement with the UK. I hope this will change. If I swear to my King
Old Aug 19th 2017, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

and country, I would also like my Queen and country accepted by law
Old Aug 19th 2017, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi, wow I getting in too deeply here, anyway good luck to you all, my view is not importante.