Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IVA on Electricity to rise to 10% from 1 January 2024

IVA on Electricity to rise to 10% from 1 January 2024

Old Mar 31st 2024, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IVA on Electricity to rise to 10% from 1 January 2024

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Just got my March bill and it's 64 € for 180 kWh. I live in around 50m flat and have no electric heating just water heater. Normally since the pandemic etc I was around 37€ a month. I guess the new amount is that IVA is now back to a whopping 21 %
​​​​
Yes, plus the ·special" tax on electricity consumption has gone back up to 5% from the 0.5% it was reduced to temporarily. My mid Feb - mid March bill was €73.52 for 229.49 kwh, which was not too bad as we were using our aircon for heating in the evening, plus electric heaters in the bathrooms.

I am resolved to switch providers and am just waiting to see if prices get reduced again from 1 April before proceeding. Because of the annual IPC increases I am now paying €0.17592 per kwh with Iberdrola. I am leaning towards Octopus Energy at the moment with whom I would pay €0.1240 per kwh, there are slightly cheaper suppliers around such as Gana Energia whose current price is €0.1190 (both these prices are for a tariff where I would pay the same no matter what time of day the usage is for, which I prefer) but Gana's potencia charge is slightly higher plus the Trustpilot reviews are terrible whereas the ones for Octopus are very good. The new price may only be for one year but it is so simple to switch online with very little effort required so it would be no hardship to switch again at the end of that.

Last edited by Lynn R; Mar 31st 2024 at 3:53 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2024, 3:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is something wrong with your maths. A bill of €37 with 5% IVA would only increase to €43 with 21% IVA.
Old Mar 31st 2024, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I think you have a problem - old inefficient water heater maybe...or you are on the wrong plan. Try talking to Iberdrola or use their website to see if you can get a better deal.

I paid 40,21€ in March for 121kWh - S/D house, live alone with modern electric water heater plus the usual (but no heating)

I used 185 kWh in January and paid 47,12€ (10% IVA) used some electric heating in the bathroom.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 7:54 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If Iberdrola are anything like Endesa then they will raise your tariff upward yearly but if they start offering a lower tariff with the same name then you won't be told anything, it's up to you to find out and switch.

Most suppliers seem to be offering an all-day tariff between 10-12c/KWh, if Iberdrola don't let existing customers switch to a similar tariff then they must be losing customers by the bucketload. So you may be able to switch tariff without changing provider.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
There is something wrong with your maths. A bill of €37 with 5% IVA would only increase to €43 with 21% IVA.
Yes but I forgot to mention that Iberdrola always fixes a new fixed price in January ( don't be fooled by their plan estable - it is only for 12 months) and also I forgot my consumption has slowly increase a bit as I was often visiting UK last year for some weekends. Either way I am now paying alot more for Electricity than I have in 7 years.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
To be honest I think you have a problem - old inefficient water heater maybe...or you are on the wrong plan. Try talking to Iberdrola or use their website to see if you can get a better deal.

I paid 40,21€ in March for 121kWh - S/D house, live alone with modern electric water heater plus the usual (but no heating)

I used 185 kWh in January and paid 47,12€ (10% IVA) used some electric heating in the bathroom.
I have a newest heater and the temperature is not set high. I am on plan estable and have spoken to Iberdrola quite a bit about this and they just say it is a result of the withdrawal of all the government's support. Incidentally if you are a new customer Iberdrola offers various deductions to hook you which often just last sometimes 6 months or a year so you think you have a good deal then those discounts cease and you have to try and negotiate with them ( by threatening to leave) or just find another provider. T BH I have been dealing with this for years and which ever plan I have it starts fine then gradually gets more expensive.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Yes, plus the ·special" tax on electricity consumption has gone back up to 5% from the 0.5% it was reduced to temporarily. My mid Feb - mid March bill was €73.52 for 229.49 kwh, which was not too bad as we were using our aircon for heating in the evening, plus electric heaters in the bathrooms.

I am resolved to switch providers and am just waiting to see if prices get reduced again from 1 April before proceeding. Because of the annual IPC increases I am now paying €0.17592 per kwh with Iberdrola. I am leaning towards Octopus Energy at the moment with whom I would pay €0.1240 per kwh, there are slightly cheaper suppliers around such as Gana Energia whose current price is €0.1190 (both these prices are for a tariff where I would pay the same no matter what time of day the usage is for, which I prefer) but Gana's potencia charge is slightly higher plus the Trustpilot reviews are terrible whereas the ones for Octopus are very good. The new price may only be for one year but it is so simple to switch online with very little effort required so it would be no hardship to switch again at the end of that.
Let us know how it goes with Octopus Lynn as I think I have the same plan as you with Iberdrola

Old Apr 1st 2024, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Our bill for Feb and March from Iberdrola (billed 17th to 17th) of each month was €61.49 for a total of 327kw used. We have all electric in the flat, rubbish double glazing and the floors are freezing in the winter. Heating with the A/C and oil filled rads, the fish tank runs 24/7 and the tv and the wife's laptop are on 12hrs a day. Im pretty sure all the old stereo stuff pulls more than it should but my room is always warm...

€47.81 was the energy and the rest services and tax. Because our meters are in a huge cabinet in the street we have to pay the Electrical Service cost of €2.31 a month. Tried to get out of this but was told no.

Compared with last year we used around €20 less this year and once summer comes round I expect the bill to go below €40 a month (we only use fans I dont like the A/C)

I put us on the 8 hour plan and its never changed (due for renewal next year after the five years are up). So I will be looking at a new plan.
We pay 0,148 cents for peak plus 0,08 cents for the supply and 0,053 cents for the off peak 8 hours plus 0,00034 cents for the supply.

Ive phoned them a couple of times and they emailed me when the supply was off once and all in English, Im happy with Iberdrola and will renew
Old Apr 1st 2024, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

AHH....I am not the only one to notice all this. Headline in lots of newspapers today. Reading this suggests that if your contract fixed you to a price you are going to feel the pinch whereas if you have the the 3 different time zone one where the price fluctuates this will ( at the moment) off set the taxes. Lots of criticism being levelled as yet again the companies basically get you to effectively gamble on the market ( with rather a push by them). Anyway at least this confirms what I thought and millions of folk are in the same boat.
https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/523...gulada-precio/

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Apr 1st 2024 at 10:45 am.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I have plan noche and a smart meter - and my invoices never vary a lot.

Paying 0.16 peak and 0.11 off peak very happy with Iberdrola and never have any hassles with them. I just checked and it was the same rate last year so it did not increase 1/1/24.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

I have plan noche and a smart meter - and my invoices never vary a lot.

Paying 0.16 peak and 0.11 off peak very happy with Iberdrola and never have any hassles with them. I just checked and it was the same rate last year so it did not increase 1/1/24.
I assume you mean you rate is variable though, so given that prices are low you might not notice much but either way you will now pay 21% IVA and as this week's storms have increased usage prices will invariable fluctuate
​​​​

Old Apr 1st 2024, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

No, with plan noche the rates are fixed - as I quoted. It varies by time of day/night only and I do not have to contract every year it rolls on. Yes the IVA is the same as VPSC contracts.

I have been on plan noche for years and whilst I don't over analyse it I am happy as I think it is cheap.

The only setback I had (I think I started a thread ages ago) was when a girl in Carrefour stood at an Ibderola desk offered to reduce my contract price and I ended up with an unwanted 'insurance' to call them out - added around 10€ a month until I cancelled it - so be careful of those 'offers'
Old Apr 1st 2024, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

My last bill was 42.20 euros for 193 KWH with endesa. That was February to .March so I presume includes new tax rates.. we are on a 3 period rate that has day time rate cheaper daytime rate and nighttime rate. I use a timer to.warm up hot water overnight (cheapest rate) and again mid afternoon when it's (mid rate). Seems to work ok for us and been on it for years.
​​
Old Apr 1st 2024, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

No, with plan noche the rates are fixed - as I quoted. It varies by time of day/night only and I do not have to contract every year it rolls on. Yes the IVA is the same as VPSC contracts.

I have been on plan noche for years and whilst I don't over analyse it I am happy as I think it is cheap.

The only setback I had (I think I started a thread ages ago) was when a girl in Carrefour stood at an Ibderola desk offered to reduce my contract price and I ended up with an unwanted 'insurance' to call them out - added around 10€ a month until I cancelled it - so be careful of those 'offers'
Ok so you mean your price is fixed and hasn't changed in January?. I thought all prices on fixed contracts get revised at the beginning of year - mine certainly has changed and along with the removal of the special Tax and the IVA I can't see how people's facturas won't increase. I find it so time consuming talking to Iberdrola and you are right no sooner do you change a plan lo and behold some new charge appears ( like the call out insurance you mention) so then you phone again ( a month later) to cancel that and then they tell you they will have to write a new contract and then they quote a completely new price. You argue about that then they phone you back offering some discount for 3 months so you take that and bingo back comes the call out insurance!!! You can't win! Umfffff.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Ok so you mean your price is fixed and hasn't changed in January?. I thought all prices on fixed contracts get revised at the beginning of year - mine certainly has changed and along with the removal of the special Tax and the IVA I can't see how people's facturas won't increase. I find it so time consuming talking to Iberdrola and you are right no sooner do you change a plan lo and behold some new charge appears ( like the call out insurance you mention) so then you phone again ( a month later) to cancel that and then they tell you they will have to write a new contract and then they quote a completely new price. You argue about that then they phone you back offering some discount for 3 months so you take that and bingo back comes the call out insurance!!! You can't win! Umfffff.
I knew about the annual increases in line with the IPC when I changed to the Iberdrola Plan Estable tariff, it was in the small print and the rate I pay per kwh did increase on 1January 2023 and again on 1 January 2024. The price was very reasonable at the time compared to what my previous supplier (Naturgy) was wanting to charge me when my initial 12 month deal with them was ending - they had notified me that the new rate would be €0.39 per kwh! However, after the 2 increases it is now quite a bit more than the prices being advertised for new customers and those offered by their competitors so I will switch again. The same thing applies to the flat rate tariffs I have looked at with other companies, it is not just Iberdrola.

I don't want a tariff with different prices for different hours, it does not suit our lifestyle. I did try it for a few months with Iberdrola but it was costing us more than the Plan Estable does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.