Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet,phones andTV

Internet,phones andTV

Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

annerock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet,phones andTV

Hi thank's to all who replied we are moving to Cox which is around 10k from Orihuela the development is call San Fernando.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Beside telefonica, can anyone recommend a good & cheap company with cable internet (ie not dial-up) & free phone for local calls & cheap rate to UK?
Thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Beside telefonica, can anyone recommend a good & cheap company with cable internet (ie not dial-up) & free phone for local calls & cheap rate to UK?
Thanks.
I presume that you mean ADSL or broadband and not cable?
It's difficult to recommend anyone for several reasons. Firstly, Telefonica own all of the telephone lines and exchanges in Spain so they are responsible for their upkeep and the buck stops with them. Therefore, any other provider is still reliant on their network. Also, I believe that Orange is the only other provider that is national. Many large towns have their own cable network for TV and phone services, run by companies such as ONO, b ut they do not cover all areas, so it would depend on where you are going.
Also there is no guaranty that there are any phone lines at all in a lot of areas
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Europa Net
www.europa-network.com
Mob: 7cents a min mobile to UK
Land: 1 cent a min to UK landline
€19.95 a month ADSL
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

I'm not bothered if it's ASDL or broadband as long as I don'r need to dial-up tidying down my phone line while I'm on the internet. In Canada we have cable & the phone line is free while I'm on the internet.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Europa Net
www.europa-network.com
Mob: 7cents a min mobile to UK
Land: 1 cent a min to UK landline
€19.95 a month ADSL
Thanks Mitz. This is a good one to consider when I move to Spain, better than telefonica I think, certainly the rate & they are in English too.

Mitz,
Where do you get those rates as I can't find them in their site?

Last edited by ForHotspot; Jan 18th 2009 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:39 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Spainboy,
I quote "But for home use they are no good" OH YES THEY ARE (best pantomine voice). I am actually replying on one, sat indoors on my sofa.
Davexf

Originally Posted by spainboy
To be honest ive just had a good look on the vodafone website regarding the usb dongles and they are ok as a backup or if you are on the move but for home use they are no good.
Ok you can get them from 19 euros a month but you only get a maximum of 200mb per month.What can you do for that?That will allow you only to basically browse the web and not download anything. There is a dearer 39euro per month plus IVA 3gb limit but for that money you may as well get a fixed ADSL with unlimited downloads and phone connection for just a few pennies more.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Spainboy,
I quote "But for home use they are no good" OH YES THEY ARE (best pantomine voice). I am actually replying on one, sat indoors on my sofa.
Davexf
Dave are you still banging on about what I said? You have already corrected me once.
Like I said(again) I know full well they work indoors.When I said they were no good for home use I meant I would prefer a static ADSL line basically because you have unlimited downloads and no slowdowns.My friend has a Vodafone dongle and he said he is always exceeding his monthly limit and has to pay extra.He also said that his slows down at certain times too.This may just be our area though. With the basic telefonica ADSL you get unlimited downloads.This is my opinion though and I find exceeding the 3gb limit very easy to do if you use the net more than just browsing and checking emails etc.
There may be a dongle that has unlimited downloads.Maybe someone can point that out.

I would love to get a dongle but as a backup option or if I moved to an area with no phone lines.

Last edited by spainboy; Jan 19th 2009 at 10:45 am.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Theres an advert in the papers at the moment

I'm not bothered if it's ASDL or broadband as long as I don'r need to dial-up tidying down my phone line while I'm on the internet. In Canada we have cable & the phone line is free while I'm on the internet.

Thanks Mitz. This is a good one to consider when I move to Spain, better than telefonica I think, certainly the rate & they are in English too.

Mitz,
Where do you get those rates as I can't find them in their site?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Just going off the subject for a sec Mitzyboy. Is it you that has got a list of Agencies in Spain? If you have any in the Benidorm area could you PM me their names please.?
We have Adecco here(think its still called that).!!
Ta
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Spainboy,
Davexf
Davexf - what has been your experience with it in your area? Is the download limit a problem for general surfing, e mails etc?? Is it secure enough for online banking, or buying with credit card? Sorry to quiz you, but I'm thinking of buying one.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:22 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Petew

No problem in my area - I have a 3Gb limit after which the price is horrendous (as it is if you use it overseas). Yes I have internet banking and have had no problems with it, BUT yes it would be possible for anyone with the knowhow to get all my key depressions and work things out. There are various providers, telefonica, vodafone, Orange and yoigo (carrefours) to mention the most common. It depends where you live in relation the the mast that matters. There is for England an on-line map of masts etc, but I don't know if one exists for Spain. I would prefer to have ADSL but there are no telephones anywhere near where I live (Pago del humo in Chiclana, Cadiz)

Davexf
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Burnside unit (no landline, unit attached to laptop, aerial outside house.... valenciatim's tried helping me re achieving a better service but this is a different question) .... is this a dongle by another name? And why oh why if I'm getting signal strength of 81% is it almost impossible to get BE this evening....or is that a BE go-slow problem?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I actually got a reply from them.

Thank you for your email, these services can be used on an active Telefonica line….

Here are a few of our call rates....

UK landline 2.9 cts per min (however if you pay €5 a month, you can ring for 1cts a min)

Spain Landline 3.3cts per min

France Landline 4.9 cts per min

Australia Landline 9 cts per min

USA Landline 4.9 cts per min

WE DO NOT ADD CONNECTION CHARGES ON ANY OF OUR CALL

Free to join, no cancellation fee.

Call rates supplied on request

All calls between Europa clients are free 24/7

All our rates are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and per second billing on landlines. There is no connection charge on any calls that you make and no minimum spend. Our monthly invoices are fully itemised and in English.

Free UK number diverted to Spain

We will allocate to you free of charge either a UK 0844 or UK 0870 number. These numbers allow callers in the UK to call you here in Spain for the price of a local call (0844) or national call (0870). No set-up cost to you. You pay nothing to receive the call and no rental costs. Many callers in the UK are not able to call international destinations especially if calling from work where international calling may be barred. By calling your 0844 or 0870 number they can call from anywhere

These are the internet packages that we currently offer...

ADSL

Only €29.50 per month

* 1mb broadband
* Free English technical support
* Free router (€9.50 postage and packaging)
* If you cancel before 12 months you will incur a cancellation fee of €37.50

If you spend 30.00 euros on calls per month we can reduce the cost to 19.95 euros

DIAL UP

PACKAGE 1 24/7 dial up €4.50

* - subject to a minimum call spend of €15 each month (excl IVA).

Dial up 24/7 unlimited €4.50, Minimum Bill €19.50

PACKAGE 2 24/7 dial up €14.95

* -all your call spend will be added on top of this price
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Just a thought guys.

Im with telefonica and have been for years. I pay 39eur a month for 3mb broadband,my friend pays the same and only gets 1mb speed.
He told me about a new offer that Vodafone are doing and they offered him 6mb in his area with a really nice looking wifi router with an attached dongle(basically the dongle is connected to the router but if you go out for the day you can pull the dongle out for 2.70euros a day) if you want.

I decided to go down and she said I could get 12mb on my phone line with free wifi router and dongle for 39.99...much better than telefonica.

So basically Vodafone are doing some good deals at the moment.I even phoned up telefonica and told them this hoping they would at least double my speed(being a 6 year customer) and she wouldnt.
So next week im going to cancel telefonica and give vodafone a whirl.
They will also throw in 3 months free digital tv but you dont have to take this

http://tienda.vodafone.es/do/adslord...t/start?pack=1

Last edited by spainboy; Jan 23rd 2009 at 11:34 am.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

george43 will become famous soon enough

I know this thread is a bit old now but rang Europa 3 days ago and was quoted 235Euros set up fee and 4.9c per min. for UK calls.With internet 325E set up and an extre 55E for wireless.
I am still struggling to find a sensibly priced service that can set me up within a few days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.