Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet,phones andTV

Internet,phones andTV

Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet,phones andTV

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
I'd recommend getting a movistar/vodafone dongle for your internet and then download skype and get a skype phone for your calls. For TV I'd bring your sky boxes over and also buy a 2.4metre dish from maplins for 200quid before you come over.
If that's like the Iberbanda set-up, even they don't work everywhere, depending on where your house/the masts are.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:35 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
I....For TV I'd bring your sky boxes over and also buy a 2.4metre dish from maplins for 200quid before you come over.
personally i would NOT get a maplins Fortecstar petal dish, and really would not recommend one, especially for the costa blanca area. they are cheap, and their design proves it. they are flimsy, have seen one that the wind severley distorted, one installer said it performs as good as a 1.45m dish, and the LNB that comes with the dish is not the correct one.
Avoid.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

I have 1mb adsl with citrusred.com at 29.50 euros a month, still pay seperately for telefonica landline at 15 euros a month. If there is an internet problem I report it to citrus in English and they deal with telefonica. They also provide my calls which are free within Spain and about 3 cents a minute to UK.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

To be honest ive just had a good look on the vodafone website regarding the usb dongles and they are ok as a backup or if you are on the move but for home use they are no good.
Ok you can get them from 19 euros a month but you only get a maximum of 200mb per month.What can you do for that?That will allow you only to basically browse the web and not download anything. There is a dearer 39euro per month plus IVA 3gb limit but for that money you may as well get a fixed ADSL with unlimited downloads and phone connection for just a few pennies more.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
personally i would NOT get a maplins Fortecstar petal dish, and really would not recommend one, especially for the costa blanca area. they are cheap, and their design proves it. they are flimsy, have seen one that the wind severley distorted, one installer said it performs as good as a 1.45m dish, and the LNB that comes with the dish is not the correct one.
Avoid.
Could it be worth her trying to get a second hand one over here in Spain?They are always for sale for around 200-250 euros from people who are moving back to the uk.I mean brand new they can be upto 1400euros from a supplier,fitted with a digibox but if she can bring her digibox over and perhaps wait until shes sees one for sale second hand it could be ideal.I think then she could get a firm to move it and fit it for her for a further 200 euros(going rate around here anyway when i had to relocate mine)
With this credit crunch on and peoople losing out on their retirement pay due to the bad pound rate then more people are going back home,hence a rise in dishes for sale.

Last edited by spainboy; Jan 17th 2009 at 8:01 am.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy

Can someone then please explain whoo telefonicainenglish actually are?
dont have a go at me,imm just trying to help.
No ones having a go
Type telefonica in english into the search engine on here .... theres a huge thread
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

telefonicainenglish seemed to have changed their website where as before it just looked like the telefonica page but in english.
I honestly had no idea they were nothing to do with telefonica and wouldnt have recommended it if I knew what i now know.

I have however got info from them before with downloading english intruction manuals for adsl modems and i genuinly thought telefonica had set up this website for the english speaker.

Oh well
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Re: Telefonica in English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, there seems to be some confusion here.

Do you mean that you are using Telefonica, the national telephone company
(this is there english language site) http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/
or is it a local company, or are you just confused with the front page heading on the site?

After reading into it I understand that they are just an independant firm however didn't you think that they were part of telefonica at one stage?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Telefonica in English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, there seems to be some confusion here.

Do you mean that you are using Telefonica, the national telephone company
(this is there english language site) http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/
or is it a local company, or are you just confused with the front page heading on the site?

After reading into it I understand that they are just an independant firm however didn't you think that they were part of telefonica at one stage?
Oh I think quite a few people have been duped, and were confused about it.
I didn't know about them to be honest before I signed up with Telefonica so it wasn't an issue with me

I have always found the English section of Telefonica to be fine. You just need to ask for it and they put you through and have always spoken good english

For internet problems you need to speak to Madrid, and they dont speak english so its more of a challenge
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

thats true.telefonica once gave me a 902 number for direct internet problems however they can pass on info via their computer if there is a problem and 1004 can also upgrade your service if you wish.When we got the 3mb connection for 1euro extra in our area the english section of telefonica upgraded it for me.
To be fair ive never had a problem with these guys and my connection has always been on in all these years.I know someone in the uk who used tiscalli and he said at peak times it used to slow right down and sometimes couldnt even get on the net.Telefonica ADSL in my area has always been the true speed 24/7.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:27 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I would like to correct Spainboy; The dongles from Telefonica / vodfone / Orange / Yoigo do work indoors. The newer 3.5G network is reasonable fast and quite reliable, much better than the 3G network was.

Also if you can;t get a landline (my point) then these dongles make an acceptable alternative. I would also add that yes I would like to be able to get a landline with superior speeds etc, but it is not possible where I live for the forseeable future

Davexf
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi
I would like to correct Spainboy; The dongles from Telefonica / vodfone / Orange / Yoigo do work indoors. The newer 3.5G network is reasonable fast and quite reliable, much better than the 3G network was.

Also if you can;t get a landline (my point) then these dongles make an acceptable alternative. I would also add that yes I would like to be able to get a landline with superior speeds etc, but it is not possible where I live for the forseeable future

Davexf

DXF
I never once said they never worked indoors,infact i dont know anything about them only what i read on their websites.
Where did I write that??
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:27 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Davexf
DXF
I never once said they never worked indoors,infact i dont know anything about them only what i read on their websites.
Where did I write that??
The subject is brought up in post 16 and 19. 16 is not your post Spain boy but 19 is.

Fionamw clearly said it was dependent on location which is the same the world over. Just about everyone here has their Home indoors which means Home Use.

Bricks and Stone, Steel stud work and woodern stud work with screws and nails in it play havoc with reception even electric wiring loops cause Signal Shields this is known as a Faraday Cage effect.

Personally squabbling about 3g reception would be better done in an alternative thread so this one can stay on topic. Jon is having a hard enough time as it is.

Originally Posted by fionamw
If that's like the Iberbanda set-up, even they don't work everywhere, depending on where your house/the masts are.
To be honest ive just had a good look on the vodafone website regarding the usb dongles and they are ok as a backup or if you are on the move but for home use they are no good.
Ok you can get them from 19 euros a month but you only get a maximum of 200mb per month.What can you do for that?That will allow you only to basically browse the web and not download anything. There is a dearer 39euro per month plus IVA 3gb limit but for that money you may as well get a fixed ADSL with unlimited downloads and phone connection for just a few pennies more.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 17th 2009 at 1:52 pm. Reason: Reasons of clarity.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

You misunderstood me.
when I said its no use for home use I never once said it didnt work indoors.what I was saying was if you have the option of getting ADSL via a landline then that would be the better option because you would normally use more than 200mb per month in downloads.even if you viewing clips you are using your monthly allowance.I probably use 200mb a day let alone a month.
There is however a 3gb limit option but its nearly as expensive as my ADSL with landline and unlimited downloads and for home use.however it all depends on how you use the net.I personally download about 10gb of stuff per month so the dongle would be no use to me but it is ideal for those that cannot get a landline but other than that i wouldnt recommend it as the main ADSL but its good as a second ADSL if you have the money.
Im aware that the dongle will actually work inside and out.

Probably my other post was a little confusing!!

Last edited by spainboy; Jan 17th 2009 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:17 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

hmm movistar 39euros a month, its 3mb unlimited so can download as much as I want and its faster than the 3mb from telefonica adsl for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.