Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GB pound weakening

GB pound weakening

Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future
Default Re: GB pound weakening

Originally Posted by bobd22
Oh yes Gordo the saviour of the world you never used to see him smile but since the credit crunch he is seldom to be seen without his Cheesie grin. Probably secretly laughing at the pile he will leave for Cameron to sort out.
I think Gordon did well to re-finance the banks...at least there are some strings attached. However some of his other measures are sound-bite headline grabbers that will not make much difference.
I should have realised, that when he sold off the gold reserves at the bottom of the market he wasn't the prudent Chancellor that he claims to be.
I'm not sure though if there are many others out there who can improve on the position he has placed the UK in.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by encodeme
I think Gordon did well to re-finance the banks...at least there are some strings attached. However some of his other measures are sound-bite headline grabbers that will not make much difference.
I should have realised, that when he sold off the gold reserves at the bottom of the market he wasn't the prudent Chancellor that he claims to be.
I'm not sure though if there are many others out there who can improve on the position he has placed the UK in.
You mean knee deep in the "Brown" stuff.
Doubt if this generation will be around long enough to pay off his debts so he probably won't worry too much about it.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:17 am
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute

A possible solution?
On the 20th Jan next year our friend George W will be out of a job.
Why not offer him the job PRESIDENT OF EUROPE?
With in days the euro will collapse!
Problem solved.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

The really scarey part of Gordo "re-financing" the banks (although in truth, he didn't, we did) is that it rapidly became apparent that despite 10 years at No 11 he didn't know where banks get their finance from when he did it! He thought they got it from the Bank of England! Now just how scarey is that?

Last edited by bigglesworth; Dec 21st 2008 at 9:09 am. Reason: Clarity
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Bootles view of sterling. He has been a consistent bear for several years.
IMHO always worth listening to
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...-continue.html
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Panorama this evening at 9.30pm (CET) is about the economy. I can't stand Robert Peston's style of delivery but there is no denying he knows his stuff. However, this is the same time as the second half of Coronation Street so I suppose it will be 'No Contest' for most people.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again Beachcomber, I hadn't noticed. Wow, are you on a roll today!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:39 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Panorama this evening at 9.30pm (CET) is about the economy. I can't stand Robert Peston's style of delivery but there is no denying he knows his stuff. However, this is the same time as the second half of Coronation Street so I suppose it will be 'No Contest' for most people.

Get a Skyplus box or freeview/freesat recorder problem solved. watch one/tape one
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

A semi expats view of sterling future
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5380038.ece
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:16 pm
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road

SNIP.... because of this.

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged and are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, it is prohibited and may be unlawful to use or copy this email for any purpose or disclose its contents. The views expressed may not be the views of TTT Moneycorp Ltd and should not be relied upon. If you have received this communication in error, please notify TTT at [email protected] immediately by email or by telephone (+44 20 7823 7700) before deleting it. Please be aware that emails and attachments may contain viruses. Thank you for your co-operation.

Last edited by jdr; Dec 24th 2008 at 7:55 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rocky
A reasonable analysis I think.
The bit it perhaps ignores is that in this the German public are unlikely to accept "Quantitative Easing". They have suffered hyperinflation once before and as now the most liberal nation in Europe are all too aware of the potential risks. So I think they will run the risk (which in my, and their, opinion is more apparent than real") of the deflation Gordon keeps threatening us with. And anyone in the last 60 years who bet against the economic expertise of Germany lost every time.
So I think Sterling is a buy here, just as i think the stockmarket is.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:42 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Rocky Balboa, Can I ask, where did you get that information, was it copied from elsewhere, if so can you quote the source please?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As I type there is an article on SKY news finally recognising Ex Pats dilemma in the current market.
They are talking to a blogger who said its not as bad as people make out
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, saw it. They actually showed the Why are you leaving Spain thread. The Blogger talked a load of crap though.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sue
Rocky Balboa, Can I ask, where did you get that information, was it copied from elsewhere, if so can you quote the source please?
Large parts seem to be from here, but euros have been substituted for Egyptian pounds.
http://www.moneycorp.com/headline_mail/EGP_MC.html
Amazing what you can do with a bit of cut and paste!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.