Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English teaching jobs in Andalucia (January 2008)

Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English teaching jobs in Andalucia (January 2008)

Originally Posted by sandia911

I am looking for contact information of language centers, academies, and other small English teaching businesses (public/private) in Andalucia, Spain (Seville, Granada, and Corboda preferably in that order). I am looking for a job (freelance prefered) for an immediate start as of January 2008. What is the ENglish teaching market like in Southern Spain at the beginning of the new year? Where are most of the native English teachers working?

What kind of hourly rate can I expect? in Barcelona, it varies anywhere between 10-12/hour (the shit), and up to 18-22/hour (company rates). Of course, the hours are scare, and offer little guarantee from week to week.

Where should I be looking for advertisements? In Barcelona, loquo.com is great.
Why didn`t you say you was a Canadian on a tourist visa. ?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

spanishfamily is on a distinguished road

Just echoing the comments of Ali regarding pay in Andalucia. Andalucians are very careful with their money and are not prepared to pay high rates, especially away from the coast.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Along with teaching private individuals,why not try teaching to corporate type clients as well (they pay more),are less likely to mess you around,and quite often have the need to deal with tourist's,international trade as well,however with these guys you will prob need to get into invoicing etc
ps think some of the fig's qouted here per hour are v low,personally know of a number of English teachers who make a good living charging
more per hour.
Self employed is def the route to go,Spain has a skills shortage for English teachers,combined with a low amount, by EU standards ,of English speakers,if you market yourself proffessionaly,set clear proffesional parameters,remember to network,hand out business cards by the crateload,you should do well,also dont forget to work on your Spanish,you will get a lot of respect for it.
Paginas Amarrillas = Yellow Pages.

Last edited by lcortez; Nov 20th 2007 at 2:03 pm. Reason: forgot to type half of post
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:25 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has her own business teaching English. She won't work for less than 35 euros an hour, but mostly charges more (that is group rate, not one to one).
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

sandia911 is an unknown quantity at this point

too bad the chances of getting a group to pay that much per hour are slim, especially for a new teacher, in a new market (that's not even a major market).
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:07 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandia911
too bad the chances of getting a group to pay that much per hour are slim, especially for a new teacher, in a new market (that's not even a major market).
Why? If you get half a dozen people in a group at 35 euros an hour that's less than 6 euros an hour each! Not a bad price for an English lesson with a native if you ask me. Private groups will never ask how much experience you have - they usually just want to make sure you are native.

Target hospitals - doctors have to study medicine in English, and it is easy to get a group together there. Or several groups at different levels. Plus they have loads of money to spend! My wife has 8 classes a week at our local hospital.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

ya but why would a hospital want to work with a freelance teacher they've never heard of when they get some sort of satisfaction guarantee from a middleman ( like a language center).

It would be great if I can do what your wife is doing, but I'f I'm new, and plan on staying a short term, it seems unlikely anybody would hire me (without a middleman).

What do I do? Start blanket emailing hospitals as if applying for a job?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

garcia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! just wondering if anyone has any info on english teaching schools in Ayamonte?I am a qualified tefl teacher who really really wants to move to ayamonte but am having trouble finding the contacts for these
Would be grateful for any info anyone might have or suggestions..... Thank you!!

Sofia
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

andreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really nice

Hi everyone. i am new to this forum although i have been to this site. your comments on Spanish life is quite interesting. i am looking to move to Spain at the end of May to start up a language school (mainly english, plus spanish) in Malaga. Do you think there is an interest in learning english? also do you think it's possible to recruit good qualified english teachers? i have an MA in TEFL and a few years teaching/management. i also read about how difficult it is for teachers to find decent jobs. Having been a teacher myself i aspire to run my company properly and pay a good wage. any thoughts on these? your response will be much appreciated.Andrea
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

the best market is in madrid, but malaga has many postings for English teachers, and a number of language centers (so you'll have competition). Check out LOQUO dot com (under job postings for Education).
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andreavarga
Hi everyone. i am new to this forum although i have been to this site. your comments on Spanish life is quite interesting. i am looking to move to Spain at the end of May to start up a language school (mainly english, plus spanish) in Malaga. Do you think there is an interest in learning english? also do you think it's possible to recruit good qualified english teachers? i have an MA in TEFL and a few years teaching/management. i also read about how difficult it is for teachers to find decent jobs. Having been a teacher myself i aspire to run my company properly and pay a good wage. any thoughts on these? your response will be much appreciated.Andrea
There is def interest in learning English,as in Spain it is recognised that the lingua franca of the world is English,it is also recognised that there is a shortage of good qaulity teachers in Spain!(lots of cowboys,though),combine this with the fact that most English teachers get paid a pittance,(unless self-employed) and you should do well if offering a good contract and salary!
ps;good place to advertise for staff would be TEFL Jobsite,and Wemploy rec agcy (for CDS).

Last edited by lcortez; Dec 31st 2007 at 2:16 pm. Reason: Again forgot to type half of post
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:53 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andreavarga
There are lots of Languauge schools here in Malaga, along with many expats giving lessons to friends and contacts.

Teachers in Spain are paid far less than than in the UK, it is still viewed by many Uni`s as the career of choice of the weaker students.

As for earning an income from lessons many Malaganians are very very unreliable, my wife always has people not turning up, which is annoying when they don`t give notice.She`s Spanish and a qualified to teach English and she makes very little compared to teaching Spanish in the UK.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have a friend who had the same prob with student reliability,got around it by giving new students a lesson card similar to ones used by driving instructers in the UK,which clearly stated that 24 hrs notice had to be given of a cancellation or full lesson fee would be due,also offered discounts for block bookings,again on the same terms.
She currently earns more than previously,through less but more reliable students.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

andreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really nice

Thank you lee8, lcortez and sandia911 for the remarks. i will consider them definitely. when i looked at TEFL.com's job adverts for teachers, it seems to me techers are paid on average 900-1200EUR a month for about 20-25 hours work. how much would you say an average spainard earns? and how much would you say you need to live on (single person vs family)? all the sites and forums give somewhat different figures.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lee8
As for earning an income from lessons many Malaganians are very very unreliable, my wife always has people not turning up, which is annoying when they don`t give notice.She`s Spanish and a qualified to teach English and she makes very little compared to teaching Spanish in the UK.
lee8, i am happy to hear that your spanish wife teaches english! my "dream" is to employ mainly spanish people who are properly trained to teach english. as i am EFL trained (university) i believe that teachers like your wife are much more valuable than teachers qualified by being native speakers. there is more to teaching than just speaking the language. Do you think there are many spanish teachers teaching english? does your wife find it difficult to find enough students due to the market being flooded with natives who are not qualified? (of course you can find bad and good teachers in both groups, you have to look at the individual, the above was generalisation. i would also like to employ some well qualified native speakers, mainly for the accent)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.