Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English teaching jobs in Andalucia (January 2008)

Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

sandia911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English teaching jobs in Andalucia (January 2008)

I am looking for contact information of language centers, academies, and other small English teaching businesses (public/private) in Andalucia, Spain (Seville, Granada, and Corboda preferably in that order). I am looking for a job (freelance prefered) for an immediate start as of January 2008. What is the ENglish teaching market like in Southern Spain at the beginning of the new year? Where are most of the native English teachers working?

What kind of hourly rate can I expect? in Barcelona, it varies anywhere between 10-12/hour (the shit), and up to 18-22/hour (company rates). Of course, the hours are scare, and offer little guarantee from week to week.

Where should I be looking for advertisements? In Barcelona, loquo.com is great.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:41 pm
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future
Default Re: English teaching jobs in Andalucia (January 2008)

Originally Posted by sandia911

I am looking for contact information of language centers, academies, and other small English teaching businesses (public/private) in Andalucia, Spain (Seville, Granada, and Corboda preferably in that order). I am looking for a job (freelance prefered) for an immediate start as of January 2008. What is the ENglish teaching market like in Southern Spain at the beginning of the new year? Where are most of the native English teachers working?

What kind of hourly rate can I expect? in Barcelona, it varies anywhere between 10-12/hour (the shit), and up to 18-22/hour (company rates). Of course, the hours are scare, and offer little guarantee from week to week.

Where should I be looking for advertisements? In Barcelona, loquo.com is great.

One or two words, i think should not be the norm for so called English teacher.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There are thousands of people moving to Spain for work whose only qualification is the ability to speak English.

Getting a TEFL job is not easy and the pay is minute.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

what are you two talking about?

i am qualified, and experienced. do you know the details about andalucia or are you just flaming my post?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:16 pm
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

i am qualified, and experienced. do you know the details about andalucia or are you just flaming my post?

Pardon
Madam
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:18 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

They are being quite honest. if you can translate that might help you.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest googling for english courses or language schools in the cities you're interested in and searching paginasamarillas for the same.

But it's true that there's a lot of competition for the jobs available and the pay is low.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

it's easy in Barcelona, and Madrid. But, the weather there is cold and I'm growing tired of citylife.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: English teaching jobs in Andalucia (January 2008)

it's easy in Barcelona, and Madrid. But, the weather there is cold and I'm growing tired of citylife.
Hi sandia,

Look up Keith Walters he's in Jerez and I think he runs an English academy down there so he would know everything about this subject.

Regards,

John.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:26 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a teacher and the pay is not great. Try tefl.com it's the official website for TEFL jobs.

JJ
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ali in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really nice

Hi

I'm an english teacher in Jaen. Pay isn't too good, but there is work here for"natives" if you're prepared to put up with not so good conditions.

Don't know about other parts of Andalucia. Again paginas amarillas have all the main language centres in each place.

I found here that the first couple of years was getting experience and getting known..now I can pick and choose.

If you go private don't be soft on yourself with the prices. Another thing I do which I learnt from experience is say to any private work that if they cancel a lesson with less than 24 hours notice, I charge half...if not you get mucked about all the time.

Hope that helps and good luck
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

sorry, what is paginas simarlies. is that a branch of schools, or the google similar pages link? if the latter, i'm afraid i don't understand what you meant.

what hourly rate is normal where you teach, Ali?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, what is paginas simarlies. is that a branch of schools, or the google similar pages link? if the latter, i'm afraid i don't understand what you meant.

what hourly rate is normal where you teach, Ali?
paginas amarillas is the equivalent of yellow pages, sandia. It's a telephone directory.

Last edited by rachelk; Nov 18th 2007 at 9:16 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

sunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nice

Have you thought of trying around Ayamonte in the province of Huelva?

I moved here in March same time as the English lady who I now have Spanish lessons with.
She came over one weekend and found a flat to rent and a teaching job in a language school. She is TEFL qualified.
Spanish parent's here are prepared to pay for English lessons and more British are coming here needing the Spanish.

Look up Ayamonte, very Spanish close to Portugal where there are some international schools.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Ali in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really nice

[what hourly rate is normal where you teach, Ali?[/QUOTE]

No less than 10 euros. Not that good I'm afraid. But I think in other areas of Andalucia it may be better.

Sometimes I change. For example I have a class of 3 in chamber of commerce (they earn good money) so charge 21 euros the hour. But I don't charge that to people I know can't pay it. (Pay is very low in jaen)

Must admit I'm a bit soft sometimes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.