Reload this Page >

Car Swapping Options

Car Swapping Options

Old Jun 14th 2016, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

pwsuttonuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Swapping Options

Hi,

I am new to this site and had my first message deleted. I am moving to Spain from the UK, not for the first time, and each time lose lots of money either in buying or selling cars or changing plates. I would like to know if there are any sites/contacts for swapping cars with people coming the other way.

Pete
Old Jun 14th 2016, 8:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Swapping Options

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:20 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwsuttonuk
Hi,

I am new to this site and had my first message deleted. I am moving to Spain from the UK, not for the first time, and each time lose lots of money either in buying or selling cars or changing plates. I would like to know if there are any sites/contacts for swapping cars with people coming the other way.

Pete
Pete you swap UK cars & as you know simply get new docs from DVLC.
You can swap in Spain but you will still be subject to the re-registration fee(s)
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, but there is still the cost and hassle of making changes to the car and the steering wheel is still obviously on the wrong side.

It would be much better if there was a way to just swap cars with someone that needs a British one if I could find out how.

Pete
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:54 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

In that case you need to advertise for what you need & be mindful that the UK car will be worth a lot less than the Spanish plated one.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Agreed, but do you know where best to advertise for this kind of thing?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about swapping, but there are several UK websites for dealers specializing in selling LHD vehicles. Perhaps you could trade in your existing RHD car to one of these dealers, or sell it privately and purchase a LHD vehicle through one of these websites.

There are also usually many LHD cars advertised in Auto Trader etc.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Yep. I looked into that thinking that used LHD cars might be cheaper here,but apparently not. They also didn't accept exchanges,so still end up out of pocket.

I am now thinking about exporting the UK car, but it is in my wife's name and she is Spanish and still down as a resident - so I assume would pay loads in tax.

I have an NIE but have been non-Spanish resident for 9 years. If we changed the car to my name, could I change the plates within the first month and avoid the import charge?

Also,would it cost significantly more to insure a RHD car in Spain than a LHD one?

Pete
Old Jun 15th 2016, 8:20 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Why not on here in the classified section.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Yep,will do.

As the other option, if anyone has any comments on my above questions about importing my car,that would also be much appreciated.

Pete
Old Jun 15th 2016, 9:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No problems for either of you to import the car, but if you want to avoid the registration tax, you must have owned it for 6 months in the UK before bringing it into Spain and then register it within 60 days.

So, no, your wife cannot import it free of tax as she is a resident and neither can you unless you transfer ownership from her to you 6 months before you bring it to Spain.

The amount of the registration tax depends on the car and its age. What exactly is it?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi, this is really useful to know. The car is a 2010 Citroen C4 Picasso.

Could the tax payable be based on the UK value of a RHD car or on a LHD of comparable age in Spain.? That is,can we haggle the value with the gestoria? A comparable used LHD Picasso appears to be a couple of thousand Euros more.

Also, after making the car legal for Spanish roads, are we going to be charged much more for insurance than if we had a LHD car?

Pete
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

When are you moving over to Spain?
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:25 am
Just Joined

I need to be in Barcelona by the 31st August.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, this is really useful to know. The car is a 2010 Citroen C4 Picasso.

Could the tax payable be based on the UK value of a RHD car or on a LHD of comparable age in Spain.? That is,can we haggle the value with the gestoria? A comparable used LHD Picasso appears to be a couple of thousand Euros more.

Also, after making the car legal for Spanish roads, are we going to be charged much more for insurance than if we had a LHD car?

Pete
(1) In my experience, the insurance is the same either way.
(2) You can't haggle. There is a published list of values for each and every car. It doesn't matter whether it's LHD or RHD, the values are based on a Spanish version of that car.

We matriculated our RHD Peugeot 307 and kept it for 10 years before selling it to someone who was returning to the UK. Never had any problems with it being RHD and no insurance issues.