Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Old May 22nd 2017, 10:49 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Originally Posted by lgm1963
No

I won't.
So you will happily stand behind a long queue of form filling Chinese tourists with little grasp of English and queueing etiquette.
Old May 23rd 2017, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Part of me is looking forward to the realisation from some after Brexit that they may have to queue at immigration losing our status as EU, EEA members.
That they will be limited to the pre tax paid days of 200fags, 1 Ltr of spirits etc.
HM customs having a field day fining or confiscating their over the limit purchases.
I will under my breath be saying, it's what you voted for.

There will be many who sell to UK tourists who will be affected by these changes.
I do that now

So no different then.
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

The day after the referendum and the day of the result we were in the local market and an unknown Spanish woman came up to us and threw her arms around us and commiserated with us that the UK had done such a foolish thing. I felt that this was the general mood at the time. The local Spanish really could not comprehend why Brexit.
If there is any hint in the question that we may get a backlash from the average Spanish person, any anti-Brit sentiment (apart for the yobbo tendency) - I think not.
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:42 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I do that now

So no different then.
When travelling to the UK or within the EU?
You cannot hold an EU passport .

Last edited by EMR; May 23rd 2017 at 8:15 am.
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
The day after the referendum and the day of the result we were in the local market and an unknown Spanish woman came up to us and threw her arms around us and commiserated with us that the UK had done such a foolish thing. I felt that this was the general mood at the time. The local Spanish really could not comprehend why Brexit.
If there is any hint in the question that we may get a backlash from the average Spanish person, any anti-Brit sentiment (apart for the yobbo tendency) - I think not.
MikeJ
Yes but remember the average Spanish (and most other countries) citizens do not have the same attitude towards foreigners that many Brits have.

The Brits have always had an issue with "Johnny Foreigner" and an arrogant elitist attitude pre brexit, now clearly shows that and will remain in the Brit mentality for years to come post brexit.

The backlash from Brexit (if any) from citizens, govts etc. is still unknown and cannot be predicted.

Paranoia, guesswork and more scaremongering amongst many expats is setting in now.
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
MikeJ
Yes but remember the average Spanish (and most other countries) citizens do not have the same attitude towards foreigners that many Brits have.

The Brits have always had an issue with "Johnny Foreigner" and an arrogant elitist attitude pre brexit, now clearly shows that and will remain in the Brit mentality for years to come post brexit.

The backlash from Brexit (if any) from citizens, govts etc. is still unknown and cannot be predicted.

Paranoia, guesswork and more scaremongering amongst many expats is setting in now.
Maybe you should have said Some Brits rather than tarring all British with the same brush. There are racists in all countries but not all countries are Racist. Maybe you yourself are British? So by your comment you tar yourself with the same brush. In Spain one young neighbour has refused to acknowledge me and my hola Buenos dia etc for 10 years however most of my neighbours are lovely inclusive people. That is how life is. Some good some bad.
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Maybe you should have said Some Brits rather than tarring all British with the same brush. There are racists in all countries but not all countries are Racist. Maybe you yourself are British? So by your comment you tar yourself with the same brush. In Spain one young neighbour has refused to acknowledge me and my hola Buenos dia etc for 10 years however most of my neighbours are lovely inclusive people. That is how life is. Some good some bad.
bobd22
1. I never mentioned the "R" word

2. I said MANY Brits - and many conversations with Brits about Brexit always comes down to one thing = foreigners

3. Yes it happens everywhere but I see and hear a lot more negative comments against foreigners from Brits than any other nationality

4. Sadly many Brits are tarred with the same brush but if that it is what people see constantly then what do you expect - sadly

5. A good friend of mine is British born (2nd generation Jamaican) he experienced lots of problems in the UK but him and his family have experienced none in Spain and have lived in Spain for over 10 years
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

bobd22

2. I said MANY Brits - and many conversations with Brits about Brexit always comes down to one thing = foreigners

3. Yes it happens everywhere but I see and hear a lot more negative comments against foreigners from Brits than any other nationality

4. Sadly many Brits are tarred with the same brush but if that it is what people see constantly then what do you expect - sadly

5. A good friend of mine is British born (2nd generation Jamaican) he experienced lots of problems in the UK but him and his family have experienced none in Spain and have lived in Spain for over 10 years
I think the problem is that you listen to the English language more, so it will only seem that more British people are against foreigners.

The Spanish also complain about Chinese taking over, or Morroccans etc.
No different in Italy where you still have a lot of racism at football matches and so on.
Old May 23rd 2017, 9:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

few years ago I witnessed an argument between I Brit expat and a Spaniard in a car park, I assume she was in the space he wanted, and he was saying things like you Brits should all go home and not live here, her reply was simple and succinct, she just said, well if we all went home, most of you would be out of work as we keep your jobs going, he had no reply to that.
Old May 23rd 2017, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

bobd22

Tadd1966 no you didn't mention it outright but the mention of Johnny Foreigner and fact that you single out "Brits behaviour" infers that. There are some awful people in Britain and yes Brexit did bring out a racist element of some, my point is though not all. I don't know if you are a full time expat or if you are British I presume that you are, so you are one of the Brits that you speak of by simply missing out maybe, many ,quite a few, a lot, in my view etc. I knew that this thread would take this route as soon as I saw it. There are good and bad people in all walks of life, religions countries etc that is a simple fact.
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bobd22
Tadd1966 no you didn't mention it outright but the mention of Johnny Foreigner and fact that you single out "Brits behaviour" infers that. There are some awful people in Britain and yes Brexit did bring out a racist element of some, my point is though not all. I don't know if you are a full time expat or if you are British I presume that you are, so you are one of the Brits that you speak of by simply missing out maybe, many ,quite a few, a lot, in my view etc. I knew that this thread would take this route as soon as I saw it. There are good and bad people in all walks of life, religions countries etc that is a simple fact.
bobd22
You can infer what you want and yes once again this thread goes down the same old route.
Immigration was rammed down our throats form every dept govt, press, tv etc etc etc
Bottom line is IMO the attitude of Brits towards Johnny Foreigner is bad and has always has been and it is not getting any better

Don't know where you live but would you (or anyone else) take a job and relocate to an area in the UK that is heavily populated with Asians or Eastern Europeans?

moses2013
I listen to a lot of Spanish, I travel around Europe a lot and listen to others believe me the views of many towards the UK is not good or very complimentary
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

bobd22

moses2013
I listen to a lot of Spanish, I travel around Europe a lot and listen to others believe me the views of many towards the UK is not good or very complimentary
Well there you have it then. You said the following:

That means Spanish and other nationalties also have issues with foreigners
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22
You can infer what you want and yes once again this thread goes down the same old route.
Immigration was rammed down our throats form every dept govt, press, tv etc etc etc
Bottom line is IMO the attitude of Brits towards Johnny Foreigner is bad and has always has been and it is not getting any better
Not wanting to argue with you or anyone else and just as you hold your opinion i hold mine. Which I have said. I totally agree with you re immigration and it being forced on to the UK by successive governments according to their plans. I suppose to that extent Spains governments since 70's has done similar with tourism and since EU days property sales. I also agree from my experience most Spaniards seem more tolerant of incomers but not all. As for where I live well I originate many years ago from an area now very much an Asian enclave which I saw developing from late 50's / 60's. That was not the reason I left that area that was down to career choices. Would I go back no.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I notice the op has not recently commented, was that the intention stir up the forum? Because these threads always go the same way.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
Theres a similar topic on the Portuguese thread - but as Spain is the country most likely to be affected i wanted to ask the question here

i appreciate its hard to tell the difference between a drunken Brit causing trouble or a drunken brexit causing trouble - but does anyone have any actual experience of this to date this holiday season
Perhaps even evidence of 17 million people who clearly hate Europe cancelling holidays
The real question that is being asked is not really being answered because as expected everyone has gone off at a tangent.

My personal view is that is it probably too early in the tourist season and the political process to be able to observe whether things have changed or not.

In every country there will be tolerant people and intolerant people so it is not advisable to generalise to any degree.

So folks, have you noticed any difference in attitude towards the locals from the Brits on holiday? Are they shouting out abusive comments at the locals? Are the British holiday makers being verbally abused by the locals?

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.