Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Old May 22nd 2017, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute
Default the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Theres a similar topic on the Portuguese thread - but as Spain is the country most likely to be affected i wanted to ask the question here
The original thread is about how embarassing to expats the behaviour of a significant number of Brits abroad can be to the expat population

my question to Spain is based around this
i really can't imagine what 17 million people who all vow they hate Europe - i know - hate the eu - better or at least accurate - hate foreigners especially ones from Europe - i know- say things like send all Europeans home - die expat traitors - we hate the undemocratic unelected corrupt EU - i know - etc etc will do on their 10 days of cheap beer and sunburned fun packed holidays - probably i' m guessing in Europe - maybe even in the EU - a fun summer this one will probably not be

i appreciate its hard to tell the difference between a drunken Brit causing trouble or a drunken brexit causing trouble - but does anyone have any actual experience of this to date this holiday season
Perhaps even evidence of 17 million people who clearly hate Europe cancelling holidays

Last edited by carvoeiro; May 22nd 2017 at 8:44 am.
Old May 22nd 2017, 8:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the attitudes of brexit and holidaymakers

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
Theres a similar topic on the Portuguese thread - but as Spain is the country most likely to be affected i wanted to ask the question here
The original thread is about how embarassing to expats the behaviour of a significant number of Brits abroad can be to the expat population

i really can't imagine what 17 million people who all vow they hate Europe - i know - hate the eu - better or at least accurate - hate foreigners especially ones from Europe - i know- say things like send all Europeans home - die expat traitors - we hate the undemocratic unelected corrupt EU - i know - etc etc will do on their 10 days of cheap beer and sunburned fun packed holidays - probably i' m guessing in Europe - maybe even in the EU - a fun summer this one will probably not be

i appreciate its hard to tell the difference between a drunken Brit causing trouble or a drunken brexit causing trouble - but does anyone have any actual experience of this to date this holiday season
Perhaps even evidence of 17 million people who clearly hate Europe cancelling holidays
To the vast majority of UK holidaymakers I would suspect that Brexit isn't a factor, they have always gone to Spain etc for their two weeks baking in the sun and the cheap beer and fags, and they will continue to do so no matter what they voted for.
Old May 22nd 2017, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

As mikelincs said, people will continue to go on holiday and why would you think these people would cancel holidays? It's no different to Spanish people wanting Catalan independence and going on holiday elsewhere in Spain.
Old May 22nd 2017, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

hi mike - i'm not seriously expecting a change in numbers
The Spanish tourism industry is so well established it will simply cope and evolve regardless

the question really is - is the brexit attitude becoming apparent towards property owners - bar owners - restaurant owners - other non-brexit brits - other foreigners
ie are brexit brits coming on holiday and causing trouble or upset directly as a result of their brexit ideals - as opposed to just causing trouble by drinking too much

or conversely is there a change in the attitude of the Spanish towards Brits on holiday because of brexit

I'm asking does anyone have any evidence - not trying to start a pointless brexit war or debate

Last edited by carvoeiro; May 22nd 2017 at 9:21 am.
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that those that voted out are not all racist alcholoic trouble makers. Just as all that voted remain are not all sober church going racially tolerant people. Just my experience from what I see.
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely Brexit is a procedure not an attitude, the question is rubbish.
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lyric050203
Surely Brexit is a procedure not an attitude, the question is rubbish.
Brexit most certainly is an attitude - evidenced daily in the UK gutter press and virtually every blog and msn report
a usual part of the 'attitutude' is intransigence and immediate hatred towards any neutral or anti reference to it

its a genuine question aimed at the biggest holiday market in the EU - are you seeing any difference in attitude or behaviour since Brexit
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think you will find that those that voted out are not all racist alcholoic trouble makers. Just as all that voted remain are not all sober church going racially tolerant people. Just my experience from what I see.
i didn't say anything remotely like that - and i don't think it

its a genuine question aimed at the biggest holiday market in the EU - are you seeing any difference in attitude or behaviour since Brexit

i was hoping for - yes with some evidence or - no alls the same - based on personal experiences

please god not another pointless agressive Brexit war - i think we're all bored to death with that
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

i didn't say anything remotely like that - and i don't think it

i was hoping for - yes with some evidence or - no alls the same - based on personal experiences

please god not another pointless agressive Brexit war - i think we're all bored to death with that
@carvoero I think you'll find that the same people had exactly the same attitude before Brexit. The only difference is that now it's on paper rather than in people's heads. People are people and that won't change.
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:47 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we are all bored to death by the Brexit war.

There are threads about it in Take It Outside so maybe it would be a good idea for you to ask this question there rather than here because there are members from all countries participating.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit most certainly is an attitude - evidenced daily in the UK gutter press and virtually every blog and msn report
a usual part of the 'attitutude' is intransigence and immediate hatred towards any neutral or anti reference to it

This thread will simply turn into a lengthy process anti Brexit thread. Some people come on holiday drink too much and cause trouble not just those that voted Brexit or indeed those that holiday in the EU. That is simply down to being a certain type of person. Are you trying to imply that there is or will be some form of EU hating Brexit campaign that will pay to come on holiday just to be abusive or violent towards the people of the eu? Somehow I think not. Majority​ of people simply save up to enjoy a holiday in the sun and may have the odd vino too much resulting in a bad head next day.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 22nd 2017 at 9:51 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
This thread will simply turn into a lengthy process anti Brexit thread. Some people come on holiday drink too much and cause trouble not just those that voted Brexit or indeed those that holiday in the EU. That is simply down to being a certain type of person. Are you trying to imply that there is or will be some form of EU hating Brexit campaign that will pay to come on holiday just to be abusive or violent towards the people of the eu? Somehow I think not. Majority​ of people simply save up to enjoy a holiday in the sun and may have the odd vino too much resulting in a bad head next day.
Not prepared to have any thread go down that route so if this occurs the thread will be closed immediately.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2017, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO I think you have tried to start a ridiculous and argumentative thread!
Old May 22nd 2017, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

I voted Brexit and I am in the process of buying a house in Spain.

I don't hate Europe, Europeans or any part of Europe. I just didn't want the UK to be governed by the EU.

I also agreed with the concept that while the free movement of people was a good idea in principle, in practice it was not a concept that was working for the UK due to lack of housing, lack of space, inability to provide ample services for huge influxes of people.....the reasons are many fold.

I doubt Brexit will have much if any effect on tourism to Spain or anywhere in Europe form the UK.

As long as you let us come of course lol.
Old May 22nd 2017, 11:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see tourism being affected significantly as many tourists don't care for the locals or what the locals think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.