Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

anyone recommend a UK to Spain removal van hire?

anyone recommend a UK to Spain removal van hire?

Old Apr 9th 2016, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

AlanJD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone recommend a UK to Spain removal van hire?

I'm planning to move to Nerja, in Southern Spain in the next 4-6 months and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good removal van hire company. I'm happy to pack & drive the van myself to save costs so don't need a full on removal company. Many thanks!
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone recommend a UK to Spain removal van hire?

Originally Posted by AlanJD
I'm planning to move to Nerja, in Southern Spain in the next 4-6 months and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good removal van hire company. I'm happy to pack & drive the van myself to save costs so don't need a full on removal company. Many thanks!
way2go. Google it. It's a one way drive company so you dont have to bring the van back to the UK. The have a depot in Javea, but I do believe they organise for other areas as well
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

ayseha is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, Jan. Thanx for that info. I'll check it out.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

leeglover is an unknown quantity at this point

I also used way2go a while back very helpful bunch.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leeglover
I also used way2go a while back very helpful bunch.
THANKS leeglover,. good to know, they sound like the company to go with.

Do you recall the sort of MPG you were getting, I imagine being large vans it could be quite low? Just trying to work out a total cost including van hire, ferry tolls, and petrol...any info from anyone on those costs much appreciated!
Old Apr 11th 2016, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

If you look in the FAQ's it'll give you those answers. E.g. total cost is around 1280 -1400 UK pounds.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mark604
If you look in the FAQ's it'll give you those answers. E.g. total cost is around 1280 -1400 UK pounds.
thanks Mark
Old Apr 11th 2016, 11:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ayseha
thanks Mark
When you do it, give some thought to the route. When we drove down we did a 26 hour straight through stint with two drivers coming down through France.

Once you take the tolls and fuel and probably a hotel into consideration, its almost as good an idea to get the Portsmouth Bilbao or Santander ferry. You arrive refreshed with a days drive to do
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Given up on the ferry I am too sea sick on it even in slight swell. I end up flat on my back in cabin nibbling dry bread lying down as any attempt to be upright makes me sick. A real chore for my driver who has to look after my dog on top deck. Now it is a road trip with picnic stops and two overnights, a much more pleasant way to go. Retired means no rush to get there really and only one driver.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Given up on the ferry I am too sea sick on it even in slight swell. I end up flat on my back in cabin nibbling dry bread lying down as any attempt to be upright makes me sick. A real chore for my driver who has to look after my dog on top deck. Now it is a road trip with picnic stops and two overnights, a much more pleasant way to go. Retired means no rush to get there really and only one driver.

Thanks Capitans Wench definitely the road for you! I also like the idea of taking things slow & enjoying the journey Way To Go say total spent if going via the Santander ferry is around 13-1400 pounds, would you say that things worked our cheaper when you went by road all the way?
Old Apr 12th 2016, 11:31 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by ayseha
Thanks Capitans Wench definitely the road for you! I also like the idea of taking things slow & enjoying the journey Way To Go say total spent if going via the Santander ferry is around 13-1400 pounds, would you say that things worked our cheaper when you went by road all the way?
No it's not hugely different. It's 1-2 nights accomodation, tolls, fuel and of course still a ferry at the end of it as well and the fuel is more expensive in France than it is in Spain

Having done both journeys I have to tell you that when you are driving, the French route is not necessarily a pleasant journey on the motorways. The run to Valencia for instance after a relaxed cruise and a fresh start from Santander is around 7 hours, mostly dual cariageway, €29 tolls last time I did it.

Its just a matter of choice of course, but having done the trip Dover Calais, Portsmoth St Malo and Portsmouth Bilbao/Santander on numerous occasions, I would only ever choose the latter