Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:10 pm   #16
MNW_Madrid
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1

MNW_Madrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing my spanish plates back to UK plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Yes you do, just one form ...... and you probably will get the same plates you had when you left the UK as I did. I've just gone through the process.

Go to your local DVLA office and tell them what you want to do. Give them your old registration number and they will check it for you. Because the car was already registered in the UK once its a relatively simple job. They will give you the forum to complete

You'll need to get the car taxed and insured before you go back to the DVLA to re register the car and I am told it will be done immediately. The MOT can either be done on the chassis number, or the reg no (check with dvla first to make sure the number is still ok)
Mitzyboy (and anyone else with recent experience):

I'm in the same situation (I bought my RHD car in England in 2007 on UK plates, changed over to Spanish plates when I moved over with work and I'm shortly moving back to the UK) and I'd be grateful for advice on specific steps you followed.

The issue that I have come across is the following: I'll be driving the car back to the UK in about 4 weeks' time. If I deregister the car in Spain before leaving, it can no longer be driven, which shoots that plan down.

If I first re-register with the DVLA, the DVLA advises me that they hold on to the Spanish car registration documents, which I am told I need to de-register the car in Spain.

Is the solution to de-register in Spain first, get placas verdes (the green provisional plates) for the trip to the UK, then re-register with the DVLA?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Mark
MNW_Madrid is offline  

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:39 pm   #17
Mitzyboy Male
Senior Moment
Super Moderator
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 19,630

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing my spanish plates back to UK plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNW_Madrid View Post
Mitzyboy (and anyone else with recent experience):

I'm in the same situation (I bought my RHD car in England in 2007 on UK plates, changed over to Spanish plates when I moved over with work and I'm shortly moving back to the UK) and I'd be grateful for advice on specific steps you followed.

The issue that I have come across is the following: I'll be driving the car back to the UK in about 4 weeks' time. If I deregister the car in Spain before leaving, it can no longer be driven, which shoots that plan down.

If I first re-register with the DVLA, the DVLA advises me that they hold on to the Spanish car registration documents, which I am told I need to de-register the car in Spain.

Is the solution to de-register in Spain first, get placas verdes (the green provisional plates) for the trip to the UK, then re-register with the DVLA?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Mark
I'm not going back to the UK, so the car has gone back there on Spanish Insurance and is still registered in Spain. I havent been asked for any Spanish documents in the UK.

I simply went to the DVLA local office, told them what I wanted to do, and they got the forum out and part filled it in for me. They checked the old UK plate which is still available. I need to return with an MOT, tax and a UK insurance certificate and lodge the form with them at which point it will be approved immediately because it is a re registration
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:08 pm   #18
manamama Female
Member
 
manamama's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Home in Herts
Posts: 658

manamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing my spanish plates back to UK plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Yes you do, just one form ...... and you probably will get the same plates you had when you left the UK as I did. I've just gone through the process.

Go to your local DVLA office and tell them what you want to do. Give them your old registration number and they will check it for you. Because the car was already registered in the UK once its a relatively simple job. They will give you the forum to complete

You'll need to get the car taxed and insured before you go back to the DVLA to re register the car and I am told it will be done immediately. The MOT can either be done on the chassis number, or the reg no (check with dvla first to make sure the number is still ok)
Thanks Mitzyboy..I have done the MOT and got insurance. Going to my local DVLA next week to ask them for the forms and get it re-registered to UK plates and taxed too.
manamama is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:09 pm   #19
YMF Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: El Cotin, Chiclana
Posts: 269

YMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud ofYMF has much to be proud of
Default Re: Changing my spanish plates back to UK plates

We are also in the process of re-importing our car back into the UK and have discovered that you do not need to change the headlights back again. You can have a MOT done on left hand drive headlights using beam deflectors. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

The DVLA confirmed that it is ok and our car passed it's MOT today.

It is a shame that the Spanish ITV regulations are not the same then we would not have had to swop the headlights in the first place.
Yvonne
YMF is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:19 pm   #20
manamama Female
Member
 
manamama's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Home in Herts
Posts: 658

manamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond reputemanamama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing my spanish plates back to UK plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMF View Post
We are also in the process of re-importing our car back into the UK and have discovered that you do not need to change the headlights back again. You can have a MOT done on left hand drive headlights using beam deflectors. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

The DVLA confirmed that it is ok and our car passed it's MOT today.

It is a shame that the Spanish ITV regulations are not the same then we would not have had to swop the headlights in the first place.
Yvonne
I also only had the beams deflectored and not had to change the headlights completely. Thank goodness!
manamama is offline  
Closed Thread

 
  Subscribe to this Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

$ forumrules ***
Forum Jump


Top