Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the Uk from the UAE

Returning to the Uk from the UAE

Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about
Default Returning to the Uk from the UAE

After losing my job here in the UAE several months ago and having spent just about all of our savings living whilst trying to find another job here or in the Middle East, we are now at the point where we have to go back to the UK because we have no money left!

Those promised jobs just did not materialise, just hang on another month or two, the job will firm up, another few weeks, it can't go on like this for much longer........

Two Brits in their 40/50's by the way !

To have to move in with elderly parents who really have enough heath worries without 'offspring and in-law' moving into their boxroom is really very difficult for all concerned.

So,with nothing to show for our time in the UAE and having read some of the posts in this thread, some up to date, some less so, can I ask for some experiences of those who can relate to our circumstance please ? Signing on, benefits ? We've both paid many years of tax and NI NI in the UK.

What is the current position on how we could manage until we find employment ? Do we qualify for funds to rent a property ?

Any current and up to date information would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Sad to be leaving the UAE.....

Last edited by meseta; Jul 12th 2009 at 10:49 am. Reason: spelling.....
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the Uk from the UAE

Originally Posted by meseta
After losing my job here in the UAE several months ago and having spent just about all of our savings living whilst trying to find another job here or in the Middle East, we are now at the point where we have to go back to the UK because we have no money left!

Those promised jobs just did not materialise, just hang on another month or two, the job will firm up, another few weeks, it can't go on like this for much longer........

Two Brits in their 40/50's by the way !

To have to move in with elderly parents who really have enough heath worries without 'offspring and in-law' moving into their boxroom is really very difficult for all concerned.

So,with nothing to show for our time in the UAE and having read some of the posts in this thread, some up to date, some less so, can I ask for some experiences of those who can relate to our circumstance please ? Signing on, benefits ? We've both paid many years of tax and NI NI in the UK.

What is the current position on how we could manage until we find employment ? Do we qualify for funds to rent a property ?

Any current and up to date information would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Sad to be leaving the UAE.....
Regarding benefits, you might try an Advanced Search for "benefits", specifying the MBTTUK forum, as this has been covered extensively, with several threads in the past month alone.

Regarding the UAE to UK issue, I can't say I've seen many people posting on here in that situation, so you may not find much help.

Sorry to hear about your situation. As mentioned elsewhere, the assumption by people who've never done it is that expats make their fortune overseas (especially in the Middle East) and come back rolling in lolly, but that's not always the case.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

Many thanks for the response. I did indeed find masses of info on this subject. What I was after was some details from someone who had returned recently, and was hoping for a blow by blow account of exactly how things went from the moment of arrival, to settling down again.

Good luck to all those who have no alternative but return, and may things work out as best they can.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Meseta - how long were you out of the country for?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Since 2001, some time in the Middle East and 4 years in Spain running my own business, paying tax/iva etc.

meseta