Reload this Page >

Ideas on cost of moving out to NZ

Ideas on cost of moving out to NZ

Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:37 am
Just Joined

nic and the boys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ideas on cost of moving out to NZ

Hi All

I am hoping that someone will be able to give me some sound advice on the realistic cost of moving out to NZ. Myself, my hubby and two young children are hoping to move out there in late 2010 before my youngest is five and ready for school. We have more or less made up our minds that we want to go but are trying to work out the finances. We do not have that much furniture but we do have two dogs.

Also any ideas on a realistic amount to take with us. We are going to rent for at least the first year, and I worked out that we would need about £7000 for a decent deposit for a 3 bed house.

I currently work in Sales as an Account Manager, any ideas on the job prospects. I have told that Auckland would be my best bet for employment but we were hoping to live either near Hamilton or Tauranga.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

to-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really nice
Default Re: Ideas on cost of moving out to NZ

We spoke to someone at the expo yesterday about taking our dog (a springer so medium in size) and it would cost £1600 + your vets costs to prepare the dog for the trip. Your second dog would be at a reduced rate but not that significantly reduced. Also the price would alter depending on the size.

We also listened to some question and answer sessions and heard that for a typical family of four the visa fees are about £1400, plus medicals at about £1000 (in total), police checks at £40 each for adults.

Ignoring pets and not using an agent but budgeting for a reccie visit for 1 adult to attend interviews, find a house etc for 2 weeks the average cost is £12k.

From reading on this forum the advice seems to be take everything you've got (except cars) as furniture etc is just as expensive and not as much choice.

The other thing we learnt is that the mortgage interest rate is about 10% so more than here.

If you want the info on the pet companies or anything else we learnt yesterday just send me a message and I'll let you know.

We've budgeted £20k as there are 5 of us and we plan to take a month to get there, having a nice holiday enroute as we feel once we get there we will be wrapped up in seeing NZ and all the amazing things it has to offer for the next few decades.Hope that helps and good luck
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by to-go-or-not-to-go
We spoke to someone at the expo yesterday about taking our dog (a springer so medium in size) and it would cost £1600 + your vets costs to prepare the dog for the trip. Your second dog would be at a reduced rate but not that significantly reduced. Also the price would alter depending on the size.

We also listened to some question and answer sessions and heard that for a typical family of four the visa fees are about £1400, plus medicals at about £1000 (in total), police checks at £40 each for adults.

Ignoring pets and not using an agent but budgeting for a reccie visit for 1 adult to attend interviews, find a house etc for 2 weeks the average cost is £12k.

From reading on this forum the advice seems to be take everything you've got (except cars) as furniture etc is just as expensive and not as much choice.

The other thing we learnt is that the mortgage interest rate is about 10% so more than here.

If you want the info on the pet companies or anything else we learnt yesterday just send me a message and I'll let you know.

We've budgeted £20k as there are 5 of us and we plan to take a month to get there, having a nice holiday enroute as we feel once we get there we will be wrapped up in seeing NZ and all the amazing things it has to offer for the next few decades.Hope that helps and good luck
To Wellington April 2005. 1 x 40ft container, ALL related costs re move (no estate agents fees..sold private), 5 single air fares (2 adult 3 kids), inc migrant levy, just shy of £13000.

Mortgage rate is about 10% there are deals to be had if you tie in for a 5 year period. look at www.mortgagelink.co.nz

Pets are really pricey, we looked at it and due to the cats ages we left them with their grand father. It was about £1200 for a cat and £2000 plus for dogs.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:58 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon to move us, all of our stuff, two cats and a car, plus the application and house selling costs it cost about GPB 12,000
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Hi

I think it depends on who you use, to ship your container out, ect, as prices do vary.

An approx cost we paid :

Container 40 foot : £5500
Container Insurance : £1200 new for old
Medicals X3 : varies depends what your Dr charges
Flights x3 £2400
NZ Immigration application costs : varies depending on what you require
Pets : Depends on dog size

It cost us approx £11,000 to emigrate here. A family of three.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

nic and the boys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by to-go-or-not-to-go

Thank you for all the information it certainly helps to give me some ideas of what we need to have. Did you go to the expo in Leeds? if so what did you think? we are thinking of going to the one in London in October?

Once again thanks for your help. By the way where abouts in North Yorkshire are you?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

to-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really nice

Hi. We are in Harrogate. I didn't really rate the expo although we did make a good contact but nothing you couldn't find out from asking questions on here. Please feel free to ask more! good luck
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nic and the boys
Hi All

I am hoping that someone will be able to give me some sound advice on the realistic cost of moving out to NZ. Myself, my hubby and two young children are hoping to move out there in late 2010 before my youngest is five and ready for school. We have more or less made up our minds that we want to go but are trying to work out the finances. We do not have that much furniture but we do have two dogs.

Also any ideas on a realistic amount to take with us. We are going to rent for at least the first year, and I worked out that we would need about £7000 for a decent deposit for a 3 bed house.

I currently work in Sales as an Account Manager, any ideas on the job prospects. I have told that Auckland would be my best bet for employment but we were hoping to live either near Hamilton or Tauranga.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
One way to save cash is to organise a job before you get here, I did, and the company refunded me for: Medical, X Ray, Visa Application and a One Way Flight Across.

Rental costs are much cheaper that mortgages just now, especially if you are looking for somewhere unfurnished.

Remember to factor in: Deposit/Bond for rental accomodation (usually 2 weeks for bond and 2 weeks rent up front), insurances for your house, buying a car, massive big first shop when you do move in (food and household products like washing powder, cleaners etc).
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi my sister is planning on moving over here next year and she has just been quoted her whippet $2,000. and she also has a large german shep X lurcher $3,000 hopes this helps in sizes and cost!!
Good luck
Helen
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:33 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind me suggesting it, £7000 really isn't enough to budget for a deposit on a house. That works out to be at the very most $20,000.

It might be fine, but i suspect you may want to have more (if anything for a bit of breathing room).

Someone else who has bought a house in that area should be able to help you though - i could be just barking mad.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

dollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the rough

Hi, we have two sons and a dog to take, we have the costs of moving to NZ £11000 to £12000.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:47 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dollyhill
Hi, we have two sons and a dog to take, we have the costs of moving to NZ £11000 to £12000.
Also bear in mind that if you don't have jobs to come to, you need to live off of your savings till work is found.

This is what we had to do, and cost for 2 adults 1 dog 2 cats and 20ft container to Auckland, buy 2 cars and rent housing for 6 months plus replacing stuff we left in UK (i.e. white goods) came to around $50 NZ at the start of 2007.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

We moved here with 2 kids and 2 bags and $1500 CAD. We stayed in a cheap hotel and I walked to work. We had house rented and car bought after first paycheck. We decided to leave our funds in Canada due to the cost of the exchange and just wait to see if we need it. One year later so far so good!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

Went to a meeting with paul goddard the other evening in england , his company were talking about £10 or 12k, visa, jobs and no hassle. might be worth a look? www.newlifenewzealand.com