Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:03 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Well I've only been on the market a week, had 2 viewing by this morning and phoned my agent when I got up today. He said he couldn't argue that the market IS flat, but on the upside he said the 1st time buyers were back in force since beginning of September. He reckons he's sold as many houses in Sept already as he did for the whole of August! ...

1st time buyers kick it all off and hopefully it follows through!

We'll see tho! ...... third time lucky!? ........ fingers crossed!!!
loads of luck with it Paul, its a nightmare ours has been up since may hopefully it will pick up
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by possoms
loads of luck with it Paul, its a nightmare ours has been up since may hopefully it will pick up

Thanks.

yeah all this talk of "it'll pick up in September when the kids are back" ... I do wonder! ... but i guess you have to be optimistic as I say.

Ok, it is early for me, and I read a post on another thread earlier about being on the market for just over a year now ... :scared: but I guess you just have to live with hope! ...

I'll be saying the same thing in 6 months prob! ... lol
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:17 am
Now in Mandurah

Pauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the rough

Yes that me that have been on the market since 19th October lots of viewings, no negative feedback everyone loves the house why does not anyone buy it thenn
Have dropped 50k since 1st on the market have said we are not going to drop anymore but have offered to pay the stampduty!!!!!!
All 5 estate agents have said we have got it on the right price is just the market and our house being a one off etc etc. Yeah Yaeh Yaeh

Got back on 1st from validating visa so do not have to worry about that.

Good Luck everyone..

Pauline and John
Old Sep 7th 2005, 9:29 am

Thanks.

yeah all this talk of "it'll pick up in September when the kids are back" ... I do wonder! ... but i guess you have to be optimistic as I say.

Ok, it is early for me, and I read a post on another thread earlier about being on the market for just over a year now ... :scared: but I guess you just have to live with hope! ...

I'll be saying the same thing in 6 months prob! ... lol
you are right as always Paul you have to be optomistic, if ours is still on the market after a year i would be thinking there is something seriously wrong.

Have you got your visa yet?

Pauline congrats on validating the visa one hassle out the way, good luck to everyone trying to sell.

Possoms
Old Sep 7th 2005, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Well I've only been on the market a week, had 2 viewing by this morning and phoned my agent when I got up today. He said he couldn't argue that the market IS flat, but on the upside he said the 1st time buyers were back in force since beginning of September. He reckons he's sold as many houses in Sept already as he did for the whole of August! ...

1st time buyers kick it all off and hopefully it follows through!

I was looking out of my lounge window earlier and see a 4x4 slow down and take the phone number from the board outside. Within 10 mins the phone rang and it was the agent who wanted to know if someone could come and view at 5.30!

NO PROBLEM!! ...lol, and the viewing went VERY well! Our house seems to offer everything this buyer is after inc a large drive for his 25 foot caravan! ...

They left and we're now hoping the phone will be ringing first thing tomorrow!

I know it's not good to, but we can't help feel optimistic as they really did seem keen. The house 2 doors along was on the market 6 months ago and these ppl viewed that, but the bedrooms wasn't big enough.

We'll see tho! ...... third time lucky!? ........ fingers crossed!!!
Good luck.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cantwait
Good luck.

Cheers ... altho my phone wasn't ringing this morning with an offer! ...

I am sooo not looking forward to all this house selling malarky, I'm too impatient! ...

We've decided to give it 12 weeks from the start and it it don't move, we're gonna rent it out and go! ....... sell it when the market picks up as regardless to what the so called 'pros' tell ya, I reckon it's cack out there and we'll prob only get silly offers!

Renting it out brings probs in itself, but we want to go NOW! ... lol
Old Dec 27th 2005, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

jmd104 will become famous soon enoughjmd104 will become famous soon enough

Relocated from Somerset to Hampshire August 2004, relocating to Paris 2007.
Originally put Somerset house on market in April 2004, after 4 sales fell through finally completed with 5th purchaser on 23rd December 2005 for 30 grand less than original asking price of 150,000 which was still 10,000 less than simillar property in the same estate (plan was to sell quickly). Original relocation was to allow me to return to University to train as a nurse. The last year has been one of the most stressful in my life - even ended up paying the mortgage by credit card at one point. Thank god it's gone now, 18 months left until I qualify hopefully the move to France will be a better fresh start economically speaking!!!!! Good Luck to all of you selling houses, I'm never going to but in the U.K. again!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jmd104
Relocated from Somerset to Hampshire August 2004, relocating to Paris 2007.
Originally put Somerset house on market in April 2004, after 4 sales fell through finally completed with 5th purchaser on 23rd December 2005 for 30 grand less than original asking price of 150,000 which was still 10,000 less than simillar property in the same estate (plan was to sell quickly). Original relocation was to allow me to return to University to train as a nurse. The last year has been one of the most stressful in my life - even ended up paying the mortgage by credit card at one point. Thank god it's gone now, 18 months left until I qualify hopefully the move to France will be a better fresh start economically speaking!!!!! Good Luck to all of you selling houses, I'm never going to but in the U.K. again!
phew mate congrats on finally selling it, nice christmas pressie

it is a nightmare process, anyway loads of luck in your new life in France
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:01 am
cand123

cand123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paula
Firstly we live in n-le -willows,which is not too far from yourselves.We got our visas in march2004,we put our house on the market then.We had 9 months either to move to oz or go over and validate our visas,because the chain on yhe house sale was not moving we decided to go to brisbane in oct 2004 which was a good thing we did because our buyers pulled out in jan 2005.The stress of trying to sell up got too much and for a while we decided not to go.We are now thinking of putting the house back on but am not building my hopes up as the market is sooooooooo slow.However it was a good idea to go to oz as we didn,t like queensland very much,we went to the gold coast.It,s too humid,loads of bugs,rainfall like a monsoon and it,s dark at 7pm,it,s the only state that dosen,t alter their clocks in the summer.We are now thinking of going to perth which is drier and not humid,plus property is cheaper if you want to live nearer the beach.
let me know how you are doing
Candee
Old Dec 29th 2005, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by cand123
Hi Paula
Firstly we live in n-le -willows,which is not too far from yourselves.We got our visas in march2004,we put our house on the market then.We had 9 months either to move to oz or go over and validate our visas,because the chain on yhe house sale was not moving we decided to go to brisbane in oct 2004 which was a good thing we did because our buyers pulled out in jan 2005.The stress of trying to sell up got too much and for a while we decided not to go.We are now thinking of putting the house back on but am not building my hopes up as the market is sooooooooo slow.However it was a good idea to go to oz as we didn,t like queensland very much,we went to the gold coast.It,s too humid,loads of bugs,rainfall like a monsoon and it,s dark at 7pm,it,s the only state that dosen,t alter their clocks in the summer.We are now thinking of going to perth which is drier and not humid,plus property is cheaper if you want to live nearer the beach.
let me know how you are doing
Candee
They dont have daylight savings in Perth either and it also gets dark early.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/tim...-savings-time/

Good luck with the house
Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand people's frustration at not selling in a down market, but this is a very strange thread. If houses don't sell - indeed, don't even get viewings - for such a long period,then the market is telling you rather loudly that your house is overpriced. It really doesn't matter what your neighbour got a year ago: house prices go down as well as up. And making small reductions in price in a falling market rarely works: all you're doing is "chasing down the market" as the phrase goes. Interesting that the person that did a 15% one-off reduction sold almost immediately.

Oh, and the person last summer who said cut the price, sell and buy gold turned out to be very prescient!