Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't think the general public has a lot of confidence in their politicians - on either side of the pond. While voting may help, I don't feel its the complete and only way to change things. Promises mean nothing after the election. Oops there I go being negative. Sigh.....
No, I agree, but apathy sure as hell wont either!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
So no one should post anything negative about the US? Obviously some people don't care about others worse off than them, because they're doing fine judging by other posters in this thread. Either that or they're too scared of what may be about to happen to the economy to be reminded (not you Lisa).
Does anyone really think everything is rosy in this world? I mean what person thinks everything is great in this world? Do we need to be reminded by stats, etc that life is crappy and we are going to the shithouse on a boat with no oars? If Elvira wanted to do something positive, she should make a whole bunch of copies of her post and go around and pass them out to her neighbours. It might have a more desired effect.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:12 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

It is negative. My goodness, there isn't a solution in the whole context. Elvira threw out her post without any comment. Everyone knows how extremely homesick she is and her thread starter was just another negative check against this country. I think everyone is pretty aware of the problems. Well if they aren't then they should be. But short of standing up and shouting at people to be aware of what is going on, what else would you suggest?
Elvira's background is irrelevant and wasn't even mentioned in her post. I started a post in the trailer park on the same subject before I noticed hers. I'm very happy with my life in the US.

A solution really isn't that easy so to suggest that someone should have put it here is a bit ridiculous. You think that the insurance companies will just disappear. It will take time and effort to get to a decent solution, and hopefully someone out there knows where to start with this mess. A good start is to get people talking about it.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone really think everything is rosy in this world? I mean what person thinks everything is great in this world? Do we need to be reminded by stats, etc that life is crappy and we are going to the shithouse on a boat with no oars? If Elvira wanted to do something positive, she should make a whole bunch of copies of her post and go around and pass them out to her neighbours. It might have a more desired effect.
So what do you suggest we discuss if nothing negative is 'allowed', it's not like this was another UK versus US thread? Shall we just chat about fluff constantly.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Yes .. its posting information with an agenda. If you had looked at the views before replies you would ahve noticed that quite a few people opened the thread, looked or didnt at the detail of the articles .. no doubt said "oh dear, its not geting any better" to themselves and got on with their days.

It wasn't until someone came in with an obnoxious, selfish, stereotypical comment that anyone replied. Im not saying it wouldnt have been discussed later but people fired off at the replies not the OP.

Despite the fact you condemn Elvira for posting the information in the first place, disseminating information is the standard way of informing people about things.
I certainly wasn't the first to throw out a condemming post. And quite frankly I was commenting more on the "here we go again" mentality. Its better in the UK over the US (although I must admit I didn't see that posted as yet.) And quite frankly, stats don't have to be posted to tell the average person "Oh dear, its not getting any better." Or do you need to see that to prove that you really are paying more at the grocery store?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Unsubstantiated argumentum ad hominem -- again!

You state that the OP isn't qualified to raise this subject because she doesn't like it here.

Well I'm a US citizen who lives and votes here. Am I qualified to raise the issue?

Precisely! So your argument is pure bunkum!
Another one of your little tricks is to misquote someone and attribute opinions not expressed.

I did not say she was not qualified or even entitled.

I said doubted this was posted over concern for the country, since she has in the past often expressed her contempt and dislike of the America and can't wait to leave as soon as is convenient.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly wasn't the first to throw out a condemming post. And quite frankly I was commenting more on the "here we go again" mentality. Its better in the UK over the US (although I must admit I didn't see that posted as yet.) And quite frankly, stats don't have to be posted to tell the average person "Oh dear, its not getting any better." Or do you need to see that to prove that you really are paying more at the grocery store?
I think you're being a tad defensive.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:17 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you suggest we discuss if nothing negative is 'allowed', it's not like this was another UK versus US thread? Shall we just chat about fluff constantly.
It was better quality fluff back home!

...oh shit
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why is it that I dislike a negative thread, simply because its negative and there are no obvious solutions, and I state that and yet I'm the one that is being roasted?
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say the fluff in the US is nothing like UK fluff. It's not as fluffy but there is more of it.
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Titchski
It was better quality fluff back home!

...oh shit
On no, now you've gone and done it...
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you're being a tad defensive.
Aren't we all?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have to say the fluff in the US is nothing like UK fluff. It's not as fluffy but there is more of it.
Not you as well
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not you as well
It's something that's always puzzled me...now come on don't tell me you've never thought about it.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's something that's always puzzled me...now come on don't tell me you've never thought about it.
Well I didn't want to say anything but.......

There's nothing worse than threadbare fluff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.