Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:40 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by Primula
Is that true? How do Brits contribute, for example, if they are unemployed or senior citizens?
If they're retired, then they will usually have spent their entire working life paying taxes and contributing. If they're temporarily unemployed, they will have contributed when working in the past, or will contribute in the future.

(If someone spends their entire life unemployed, they're getting a free ride, but that's a bigger issue than just healthcare.)
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:56 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
(If someone spends their entire life unemployed, they're getting a free ride, but that's a bigger issue than just healthcare.)
See that's what had me confused. So not everyone in the UK has contributed.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moadikum
You're a bunch of whiners.

Your basic premise is that - regardless of the risk involved in the situations you put yourself in - somebody else should foot the bill if the risk becomes reality?

It's a personal choice as to what situations you put yourself in.
This is the land of the free don'tcha know...so we are free to whine as much as we wish.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:16 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

See that's what had me confused. So not everyone in the UK has contributed.
I'm sure 99.9% of British people have been employed and paid income tax at some point. (I think the number of people who have been completely unemployed, from birth to death, is far less that the Daily Mail would like to believe.)

So, not quite everyone contributes, but it's as close to everyone as possible. Everyone who works or has worked!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:21 pm
Misses Los Angeles

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
This is the land of the free don'tcha know...so we are free to whine as much as we wish.
Another favorite thing, I suppose?

In Germany, you can get in deep Scheiße for addressing a policeman with 'Du' (informal) instead of 'Sie' (formal). I think it's a 500 Euro fine or something. Although I doubt disrespecting the police in the States is a good idea, either...
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:15 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure 99.9% of British people have been employed and paid income tax at some point.
You cannot be serious.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

You cannot be serious.
Sadly, they probably are.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is that true? How do Brits contribute, for example, if they are unemployed or senior citizens?
Unless they're dead, when ever they buy shit.

NHS is funded from general taxation.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot be serious.
Probably should have said 'adults'.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:43 pm
Misses Los Angeles

Yup, okay: adults. And children receiving NHS care are assumed to work in the future.

I don't think that's outrageous. I know there are plenty of people in sporadic employment, and plenty who are long-term unemployed. But I seriously doubt there is a considerable proportion of society who will never, ever work, from age 18 to 65. I'd consider people in that position to be outliers.

Sure, people who've only done a bit of work haven't contributed a proportional amount to the NHS. But I don't begrudge them medical care, and if you're going to collect health funding via income tax (and, as Bob said, VAT) the fact that some people work very little has to be allowed for in the system.

I think one of the biggest excuses for the appalling American healthcare provision system is this assumption that there are already zillions of people doing f%ck all and getting a free ride, and that if healthcare were universally available, even more people would do so. If the UK is so full of never-worked-in-their-lives dossers, then I'm not sure how it has the world's 7th biggest economy.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Apr 20th 2012 at 11:49 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:48 pm
Misses Los Angeles

My favorite, or favourite, things about the US are: California, lovely mid-priced restaurants, strong cocktails, Californian weather, dolphins, Californian beaches, coupons, the University of California, Mexican food, pulled pork, customer service, huge supermarkets, Californian wineries, Halloween costumes for pets, and palm trees.
Okay, I'm feeling guilty for being a part of this massive thread derail, so here are my favourite things again. Let no one say Expats are inveterate whiners!

If anyone wants to continue discussing healthcare, I'll see you on another thread. I have this weird feeling that everything we're arguing here has been said before...
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:48 pm
Banned

Even if she had said 99% of British adults have been employed and paid income tax at some point, I still would not believe that statistic.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, okay: adults. And children receiving NHS care are assumed to work in the future.

I don't think that's outrageous. I know there are plenty of people in sporadic employment, and plenty who are long-term unemployed. But I seriously doubt there is a considerable proportion of society who will never, ever work, from age 18 to 65. I'd consider people in that position to be outliers.

Sure, people who've only done a bit of work haven't contributed a proportional amount to the NHS. But I don't begrudge them medical care, and if you're going to collect health funding via income tax (and, as Bob said, VAT) the fact that some people work very little has to be allowed for in the system.

I think one of the biggest excuses for the appalling American healthcare provision system is this assumption that there are already zillions of people doing f%ck all and getting a free ride, and that if healthcare were universally available, even more people would do so. If the UK is so full of never-worked-in-their-lives dossers, then I'm not sure how it has the world's 7th biggest economy.
British healthcare is inferior. Period.

How many horror stories do you want me to relay about my UK-based family who were either denied treatment (too old), weren't given simple medications (such as diuretics), could not get regular follow-up appointments, or had to wait ages for hip replacements, etc.

The American system is more expensive - but the quality of care here is second-to-none. If I had a choice of going into debt to pay for a procedure - or simply not having the option to have it done - I'd choose Option #1. Thankfully, those of us who plan ahead a bit are able to secure good healthcare from our employers. But again, personal responsibility is something that most Americans enjoy - and dare I say - why people who REALLY want to be here, came.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by moadikum
British healthcare is inferior. Period.

How many horror stories do you want me to relay about my UK-based family who were either denied treatment (too old), weren't given simple medications (such as diuretics), could not get regular follow-up appointments, or had to wait ages for hip replacements, etc.

The American system is more expensive - but the quality of care here is second-to-none. If I had a choice of going into debt to pay for a procedure - or simply not having the option to have it done - I'd choose Option #1. Thankfully, those of us who plan ahead a bit are able to secure good healthcare from our employers. But again, personal responsibility is something that most Americans enjoy - and dare I say - why people who REALLY want to be here, came.
Are you British? If not have you lived in the UK?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I do appreciate about many in the US is a sense of optimism, that it's OK to try and better yourself, and that if you do, it will be celebrated, rather than berated by the butt wipes at the Daily Mail and other smegma rags claiming to be paragons of journalism.

What I also like is the crazy ways some people try to better themselves, and that the unbridled optimism that propelled them to giddy heights of utter failure provide sad people like me with some entertainment along the lines of "did he really, honestly think that would work, really??!!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.