Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should I just try for a random degree?

Should I just try for a random degree?

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I just try for a random degree?

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
It doesn't sound like it's an easy industry, but some education in the field might help you out. When would you qualify for your citizenship? The program I linked to at Seneca has all the major airlines listed as program partners, so there may be opportunities to get in with those airlines via the program, at which point they may make exceptions for not having a Canadian passport if you otherwise have right to work in Canada (what's your current status?).

Rails - could you otherwise look into being a driver for GO, Via, or CN Rail or one of those? (Not sure what education backup would be best for this area, though!)
I think Jsmth is an American citizen as well, so the airline might be a little more lenient on that one, since the American passport is basically the same as a Canadian one reputation wise. (But the Canadian one's still better )

But thinking about it I think the issue is if a PR spends too much time outside Canada (which you would be doing most likely as a flight attendant unless you only mainly served on Canada-Canada flights) they lose their status. If they have citizenship, they have guaranteed right of return to Canada.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've thought about it before, when I was working for an airline, I came close to transferring into in flight, but went to operations instead as it paid more.. (The airline I worked for only paid flight attendants 13,500/yr but we were the lowest paid airline in the business for all positions, we succeed by having low wages.)

Air Canada Rouge is hiring, but you need a Canadian Passport and I don't yet have citizenship so they wont consider me.

Air Canada mainline not sure if they require a Canadian passport or if they just require a passport, but Rouge specifically wants Canadian passport.

I have worked in the airline business in Canada on the ramp, in Abbotsford a few years ago, worked Westjet flights but as they contract out virtually all airports, there was no future, and the pay was low, so I moved on to better paying work.

I am contemplating applying to Air Canada in Vancouver for ramp, but they don't guarantee hours, and they are vague and just say 0 to 32 a week, I could handle 32, but I could not live on less.

I really did enjoy working for an airline, and I didn't leave voluntarily, but the airline I was with struggled after 9/11, and in 2003 I ran out of seniority to keep a position, so was finally laid off.

They then went onto to merge, and merge again, so they no longer even exist, and nobody I worked with is employed with the new company as they all got outsourced or laid off along the way.

But it was hands down the the best job I had,, even with the low pay. (started at 6.04 in 1998, and ended at 8.83 in 2003.) but there was more over-time then you knew what to do with, so while I was part-time and only scheduled for 20 hours a week, I would work 50-55 hours a week to make enough to survive, but it was still fun.

I would certainly go back to an airline if I had the opportunity to.
Air Canada Jazz are hiring - including ramp attendants: https://jazz.taleo.net/careersection...ch.ftl?lang=en

There are various different jobs on indeed.ca for airlines (including aircraft cleaners, passenger service etc. ) http://ca.indeed.com/Airline-jobs

If you have a choice, do what you enjoy.

Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:03 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the continuing education option. Most educational establishments have some distance learning, part time or evening courses in various certificates and diplomas. Some may give you credit to transfer into a higher level course later on (but you would need to read the small print). With others the same modules can count for more than one certificate if you choose your subjects carefully. Maybe start off with a certificate level and see how you like it, then upgrade to a diploma if you want.

Not sure where you are in BC, but as an example BCIT has quite a few part time courses including certificates in airport operations and trade and transport logistics: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/list.php?l[]=2

Another option could be to take some training in something more general e.g. business, marketing, HR, health and safety, computing, etc., and then use that to try and get a job in a field or company you are interested in but with more generic skills to get your foot in the door that way maybe?

I'm kind of re-training at the moment and I'm not really sure where I want to go job wise so I'm doing a management certificate where I can select a wide range of different modules to go towards a final certificate. Some of the modules I enjoyed and some I didn't, so my next step might be to go for a certificate in one of the areas I like, say HR or public relations. Half of the courses I've done for the management certificate can be transferred to another certificate, so I only have to do half the modules required to get a second certificate!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who's currently studying and working full time I can tell you it's a very hard slog. I work a 9 day fortnight so I can get a study day every second week and spend every Sunday reading and doing assignments. It takes a lot of discipline to keep motivated to carry on doing both. I also really, really hate academic writing, so it takes a lot of pushing from my family to make me actually sit down and write papers. This is for a degree in a subject I want to study, so I can't imagine how difficult it would be to keep going if it was something I didn't really care about.

It sounds to me like you really don't know what you want to do. Rather than spend money on a degree in some random subject you would be better served to take a step back and think about what you really want to do. At only 35 you are still young enough to take some time to get into an area that holds some interest rather than just studying for the sake of doing something. At 35 you have at least another 30 years of work ahead of you so it may as well be in something you're interested in.

I started my degree at 48 and will finish when I'm 52. If I'm not too old for a career change then certainly you're not!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Why don't you look into becoming a flight attendant? You could get a degree in hospitality, or possibly look into college courses. (I just searched
"flight attendant college" and found this program at Seneca College - http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/TFS.html)

The schooling would probably be less intense given what you've said about your academic challenges; college courses often are more practical and hands-on, and less about the academic side, if that makes sense, which it sounds might be a better option for you.

(I don't know this for sure, I'm just guessing, but being a male in a female-dominated industry might also make it a bit easier for you to get a job with an airline. I don't know that for sure, though, just going on a logic train of thought!)
I think this would be a great idea!

Doing a 'random degree' is going to be of limited use I feel.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:36 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think this would be a great idea!

Doing a 'random degree' is going to be of limited use I feel.
Sociology. Then specialize in ethnographic research of bar and pub culture. Of course there would have to be a lots of participant observation in the field.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Sociology. Then specialize in ethnographic research of bar and pub culture. Of course there would have to be a lots of participant observation in the field.
He could probably get a thesis out of it
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:15 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Unless what you want to study involves math don't worry about it.

I am terrible at math...it almost feels like I have a mental block, or perhaps some sort of learning disability, when it comes to math. Despite that I have a Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, a college diploma, and am four years into a Doctorate.
Research has shown that perceived disability in math is a learned trait, often passed on from family.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Research has shown that perceived disability in math is a learned trait, often passed on from family.
I want to disprove that. My dad is a surgeon, so is a huge math and science wiz, whilst i hate math and science with a passion and dont want a thing to do with them career wise. (Which is probably one of my big issues finding a decent career path)

I passed math with a decent mark (80 percent) but that was because the teacher literally gave the notes out and they were super detailed and such and he was really good etc.

I suspect my current science mark is pretty at the moment, and i suspect it to stay like that. Partly because in ON you dont need science beyond 10th grade and grade 9 and 10 dont matter for uni.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I am crap at maths, really really crap.

My son is an absolute whiz at maths and has been since he was 3.

That research doesn't really add up.

Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

True. I learned from my family that I was disabled at Maths.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I am crap at maths, really really crap.

My son is an absolute whiz at maths and has been since he was 3.

That research doesn't really add up.

My dad is a math wiz and I can remember sitting at the kitchen table so frustrated when he was trying to explain how do some of the problems I was working on, and it just not clicking.

I really think being good at math is wired into the brain, some people are naturals, some can manage enough to pass and get through it, and some just struggle no matter how hard they try.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Air Canada Jazz are hiring - including ramp attendants: https://jazz.taleo.net/careersection...ch.ftl?lang=en

There are various different jobs on indeed.ca for airlines (including aircraft cleaners, passenger service etc. ) http://ca.indeed.com/Airline-jobs

If you have a choice, do what you enjoy.

I know Westjet contracts out, as do all the US carriers now for ramp. I do keep en eye out for actual airlines hiring in Vancouver in an attempt to score an interview.

I just applied to Air Canada again for ramp, and Horizon (part of Alaska Airlines) for passenger service yesterday.

I also applied at the Vancouver Aquarium for janitor, I'd just enjoy working there regardless of position, the work atmosphere is worth it. Tricky place to get an interview though, I have been trying for a couple years now.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As someone who's currently studying and working full time I can tell you it's a very hard slog. I work a 9 day fortnight so I can get a study day every second week and spend every Sunday reading and doing assignments. It takes a lot of discipline to keep motivated to carry on doing both. I also really, really hate academic writing, so it takes a lot of pushing from my family to make me actually sit down and write papers. This is for a degree in a subject I want to study, so I can't imagine how difficult it would be to keep going if it was something I didn't really care about.
Its my worry I wont have enough time to study and do the work on top of commuting 2 hours each way to school, + working + work and sleep. I am not sure there is enough time in the day for it all....

I may try distance learning again, it didn't go to well last time, I really benefit from the structure of the classroom and instructor and the distance learning lacked both. Structure for me is very important in doing well in school, but I might be able to do the subjects I am naturally interested in through distance, and then do the harder one's in school to reduce the time spent commuting.

I am still just planning, and investigating, and nowhere near making any sort of decision, that is still at-least 2 years away....
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
I think Jsmth is an American citizen as well, so the airline might be a little more lenient on that one, since the American passport is basically the same as a Canadian one reputation wise. (But the Canadian one's still better )

But thinking about it I think the issue is if a PR spends too much time outside Canada (which you would be doing most likely as a flight attendant unless you only mainly served on Canada-Canada flights) they lose their status. If they have citizenship, they have guaranteed right of return to Canada.
Rouge wont even let you get to the application phase without agreeing that you have a Canadian Passport, if you leave the box unchecked they say sorry.

There is also the whole spending too much time outside Canada thing, not sure how that would work either.

I now qualify for citizenship and just gathering all the stuff I need to apply, and waiting on CBSA to see if they can provide me with entry information at the border so I can get those dates as accurate as possible, filed an information request with them a few days ago.

I am not sure though I fit into the culture Rouge is looking for based on their website...lol
Old Apr 24th 2014, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A BA in Random Studies ?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not passed on from my family. My mother's math skills are excellent, before retiring my Dad was a pipefitter/industrial plumber so used math every day, and my younger brother was studying Physics at university before switching to Economics. In my family it is just me who has this problem with math.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.