Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Finding a job in the Middle East with no contacts

Finding a job in the Middle East with no contacts

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job in the Middle East with no contacts

Originally Posted by SupaRubz
It seems people get disgruntled when someone mentions anything like an MA or a PHD or whatever. I really don't see why? Is there something wrong with getting a good education?
There is something wrong about getting a 'good' education when you appear to have difficulty in basic communication in English.
Care to share where your 'masters' is from?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

SupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant future

It's a forum, I'm typing using a phone, as long as you understand what I'm trying to say, it shouldn't be a problem?

Masters is from Goldsmiths College, University of London. I guess I'll just leave that bit out in future if that's the kind of reaction it gets. Cheers for the heads-up.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

It's a forum, I'm typing using a phone, as long as you understand what I'm trying to say, it shouldn't be a problem?
So using the phone caused you to conversate and then get arsey when pulled up for it.
And your sentence "Having said that, another student who did same course as me, and was working at a company less established than Sky, and also working at a lower position got a job in Dubai ahead of me." What sort of English is that?
Using a phone in a forum cannot be an excuse when you're trying to wow people, especially people you don't know and who could, potentially, be looking at your CV. As I said before you have made an impression on me. Not a good one in case you didn't pick that up and you've written enough for me to pick you up in a CV.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

Masters is from Goldsmiths College, University of London. I guess I'll just leave that bit out in future if that's the kind of reaction it gets.
The reaction is because you're trying to beat us over the head with it, like you are entitled to the job because of a paper qualification. Employers here are more interested in those who have proven experience.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What are the degrees in? Something relevant to your work?
What job do you want to do out here?
Why do you want to come to Dubai?

I got a job here with some impeccably GCSE's, some really half-arse attempt at A-Levels and **** all else. Some roles will dictate that you must have a degree or be a chartered member of something, but scummy jobs like mean will take any old helmet.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:19 am
Just Joined

SupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant futureSupaRubz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mikewot
So using the phone caused you to conversate and then get arsey when pulled up for it.
And your sentence "Having said that, another student who did same course as me, and was working at a company less established than Sky, and also working at a lower position got a job in Dubai ahead of me." What sort of English is that?
Using a phone in a forum cannot be an excuse when you're trying to wow people, especially people you don't know and who could, potentially, be looking at your CV. As I said before you have made an impression on me. Not a good one in case you didn't pick that up and you've written enough for me to pick you up in a CV.
Mate, I don't know why you have such a problem with me? I have mainly been posting through my phone, so I just quickly short-form my responses, it's not a job application or an essay, as long as the message is clear, that's all that should matter no?

You seem to be mistaken a little. I'm not here to find a job off of anyone. There is a specific company I want to work for and I am just here to get an idea of the UAE job market, what kind of things they like, what makes someone's application stand out, tips and just general information. I don't expect to 'wow' anyone here and land a job.

Originally Posted by mikewot
The reaction is because you're trying to beat us over the head with it, like you are entitled to the job because of a paper qualification. Employers here are more interested in those who have proven experience.
I am not trying to beat anyone over the head with my qualifications. When I posted on this thread, I laid out my expertise (that includes my education and experience) to give an idea of my standing with regards to my applications, which gives a clear picture of what skills/knowledge I have and I was hoping someone could tell me if that is sufficient or not.

You clearly have made your mind up about me and there doesn't seem to be any way I can change that.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
What are the degrees in? Something relevant to your work?
What job do you want to do out here?
Why do you want to come to Dubai?

I got a job here with some impeccably GCSE's, some really half-arse attempt at A-Levels and **** all else. Some roles will dictate that you must have a degree or be a chartered member of something, but scummy jobs like mean will take any old helmet.
Cheers for the response. My degree is in Video Production, which is directly linked to what I do now. I want to get a Promo Producer position, which is quite difficult as I guess it's a very niche role. I want to move to Dubai because of two reasons:

1. It's a muslim country
2. It's a good middle ground for me and my fiance (my parents live in the UK and her parents live in Malaysia)

What work do you do? Did you move to UAE from abroad and if so, when?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Cheers for the response. My degree is in Video Production, which is directly linked to what I do now. I want to get a Promo Producer position, which is quite difficult as I guess it's a very niche role. I want to move to Dubai because of two reasons:

1. It's a muslim country
2. It's a good middle ground for me and my fiance (my parents live in the UK and her parents live in Malaysia)

What work do you do? Did you move to UAE from abroad and if so, when?
Understood. I have a mate here who did a degree and maybe a masters in pictures and videos (of some type). He works mainly freelance out here but not sure as I've barely spoken to him in a while.

I don't know anything about your market but I'd suggest being broad in terms of what you do...eg: if you were a recruiter (like me) with experience in Construction (like me) then look at other sectors if that's too niche; Legal / IT / Finance / HR / Oil & Gas etc...if that makes sense?

Process you need to follow:

Network - find people out here who know you and who might help.
Network for fresh people on Linkedin.
Spam your CV on all the job boards (gulftalent, naukri, monstergulf etc)
Network some more
Apply for some roles online
Network some more

I could have got a job out here perhaps quicker than I did (I wasn't really looking but came here on holiday for a mates wedding, got pissed and told him I wanted a bit of it). Turned down a role in Hong Kong because I didn't know the man and the company. Took the job here because I knew the man and the company - made it more comforting.

If you can network and know someone and find something that way it's much more likely to stick.

Find the companies that do what you do and try to find people in them (Linkedin).

Just keep the pressure on. It truly is a perfect example of getting out what you put in (I had the mrs doing skype and phone interviews, ringing for information, asking about vacancies at 4am in the UK before work. We did that solidly for weeks before she came and visited when I arrived, 9 days of her visiting every school looking for work, day 10, got offered an interview, day 11 got a job).
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Thanks for taking the time to post a fulsome reply I hope you're feeling the love from Scamps
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Scamps wants to help. Old school tie ?

Last edited by scot47; Apr 23rd 2014 at 2:19 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Understood. I have a mate here who did a degree and maybe a masters in pictures and videos (of some type). He works mainly freelance out here but not sure as I've barely spoken to him in a while.

I don't know anything about your market but I'd suggest being broad in terms of what you do...eg: if you were a recruiter (like me) with experience in Construction (like me) then look at other sectors if that's too niche; Legal / IT / Finance / HR / Oil & Gas etc...if that makes sense?

Process you need to follow:

Network some more
Network some more

I could have got a job out here perhaps quicker than I did (I wasn't really looking but came here on holiday for a mates wedding, got pissed and told him I wanted a bit of it). Turned down a role in Hong Kong because I didn't know the man and the company. Took the job here because I knew the man and the company - made it more comforting.

If you can network and know someone and find something that way it's much more likely to stick.

Find the companies that do what you do and try to find people in them (Linkedin).

Just keep the pressure on. It truly is a perfect example of getting out what you put in (I had the mrs doing skype and phone interviews, ringing for information, asking about vacancies at 4am in the UK before work. We did that solidly for weeks before she came and visited when I arrived, 9 days of her visiting every school looking for work, day 10, got offered an interview, day 11 got a job).
Thanks for such a detailed response. I have been doing pretty much what you have said here. I have made 3 contacts at OSN when I visited Dubai in January so hopefully that may help. I am also constantly applying to jobs and trying to make contacts through Linkedin. I probably should start opening up to the idea of applying to related jobs and not solely Promo Producer jobs, that may help I guess.

I'm glad it worked out for you and your partner
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Thanks for such a detailed response. I have been doing pretty much what you have said here. I have made 3 contacts at OSN when I visited Dubai in January so hopefully that may help. I am also constantly applying to jobs and trying to make contacts through Linkedin. I probably should start opening up to the idea of applying to related jobs and not solely Promo Producer jobs, that may help I guess.

I'm glad it worked out for you and your partner
Just keep going. YOu'll get out what you put in eventually.

Cheers, good luck!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:33 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Network some more
Network some more
Plagiarism
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Just keep going. YOu'll get out what you put in eventually.

Cheers, good luck!
Thanks mate
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Plagiarism
But you're right...so worth passing on!