UK driving licence

Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:07 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licence

Thanks Stormer, but that page doesn't actually tell me anything I don't already know. Like I said, I was just hoping that someone had done it and knew exactly what to do. Thanks to all of you for your help, but I can google and look at the DVLA site and CAB site too.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:14 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Thanks Stormer, but that page doesn't actually tell me anything I don't already know. Like I said, I was just hoping that someone had done it and knew exactly what to do. Thanks to all of you for your help, but I can google and look at the DVLA site and CAB site too.
True enough. When I left the UK I enquired as to the surrender of my licence and the DVLA were very unhelpful and basically told me they didn't want to know. When I applied for my NZ equivalent the old licence was used as reference together with passport and then handed back to me. Since then the 10 year photo renewal rules mean it is out of date anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed this same enquiry to the DVLA a couple of years ago, I've copied this straight from the email they sent me:

On your return to the UK as permanent residents you would be eligible that that time to exchange your Canadian licences for further UK licences.

All entitlements previously held will be shown on your UK licence.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 10:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Can't see anything adverse? Just report it lost and apply for a replacement.
I agree with this advice. The DL is evidence that you passed the required test, it is not intrinsically value in and of itself. The fact is that the test was passed, but the testee just does not now have the proof of having passed the test in his possession. There is absolutely nothing improper in him applying for a replacement licence, no fraud is being committed, and he isn't going to get anything that he is qualified for or entitled to, it's merely a new "certificate" that evidences that he has passed the test.

In any case, per the circumstances you describe, the only other choices are to trade the CA licence for an "automatic" licence, or take another road test, which makes no sense either.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 13th 2014 at 4:22 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

In any case, per the circumstances you describe, the only other choices are to trade the CA licence for an "automatic" licence, or take another road test, which makes no sense either.[/QUOTE]

Thats incorrect because they held the UK license before. It will be an exchange for a full license. If the license was never held in the UK then yes they would have to switch for an automatic license or re-take the test.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
In any case, per the circumstances you describe, the only other choices are to trade the CA licence for an "automatic" licence, or take another road test, which makes no sense either.

Thats incorrect because they held the UK license before. It will be an exchange for a full license. If the license was never held in the UK then yes they would have to switch for an automatic license or re-take the test.
Yes, I've had a reply from the DVLA to that effect. My husband will have to fill in form D1, and he will get his full licence back. Question answered. Problem solved.

As for the other option, I can only repeat that in my opinion, stating that you have lost your licence, when it was actually surrendered for a foreign licence is making a false declaration, and that is a criminal offence.

Last edited by Editha; Jan 13th 2014 at 6:22 pm. Reason: quote got garbled
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

They do know that you exchanged your licence for a Canadian one. They confirmed this for me on a different enquiry. So to say it's lost might bring you problems as they know that's not strictly true. I have a feeling I got another email from them too, I'll see if I can find it next time I'm on a computer.

Edit to add: I found the other email, but the only extra information it really gives is that you need to use form D1, pay 20 quid if you're updating photos, and that they aim to have your licence back to you within 3 weeks.

Last edited by Dashie; Jan 13th 2014 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Editha;11076493]Yes, I've had a reply from the DVLA to that effect. My husband will have to fill in form D1, and he will get his full licence back. Question answered. Problem solved.

I'm glad you solved the problem.

I successfully applied for, & received, a replacement UK license after 16 years in Canada, & having lost my UK one (I was not required to surrender it in Canada when I got my CA one).

The automatic/manual question was not a problem ( I.e. Neither questioned or answered).

(The day my new license arrived, I found my old one ;-) Oh well!!)

I have been required, on 2 occasions, to provided "further proof" of my eligibility for a NI number (yes, I'm scatty, lost it twice, 20 year interval, only excuse is too many years abroad) On both occasions I replied with copies of my birth certificate & passport & a note saying that if I'm not a UKC, it might be time to tell me ;-)

Good luck with your move :-)

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 14th 2014 at 12:00 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:15 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

We gave up our licences and were told that the province sent them back to the DVLA.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say thanks Editha for posting this query - I've just sent off for a D1 pack. There's a job I want to apply for which requires the ability to drive.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the UK licence back? And can one drive on the Ontario licence? I looked on the DV website and it looks like I can - but just wanted to double check. Thx.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I looked on the gov.uk website a few weeks ago, it said they try and have your licence back within 10 days of receipt. It also tells you which licences you can drive on. I've rented cars in my Canadian licence before, but we have also been previously advised by the DVLA that they like you to send your foreign licence in if you had exchanged your uk licence for it.

I thought you could just pick up the forms at the Post Office? Likely quicker?
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Glad to have been of help.

We've bought a car already. We had to order a Fiat 500 ten weeks in advance in order to be able to pick it up as soon as we get to the UK.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Glad to have been of help.

We've bought a car already. We had to order a Fiat 500 ten weeks in advance in order to be able to pick it up as soon as we get to the UK.
Wow that's organised!

I'm not going to buy a car until I have a job that needs a car - in case I end up working in London - because then having bought a car would be a liability if I didn't need it. So I'll probably end up buying a second hand car in a hurry if I end up with a job that needs a car!

Dashie - it may be quicker at the post office - I don't know. But it's chucking it down with rain today and so I'm trying to do stuff I can on my computer while I've got wifi in the hotel!

Just hope its drier tomorrow when I trek down to Hampshire
Old Apr 21st 2014, 3:30 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive using your Cdn lic for 12 mths, from the date of your return. It takes less than two weeks for the DVLA to exchange your lic. I just copied my Ab lic and carried that and my exchange application form in my bag, just in case I was questioned. I heard from a friend that you have to wait 6 months before exchanging your lic. I don't know if that is the case as I exchanged mine around about 11 months after my return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.