UK driving licence

Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:16 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK driving licence

I don't drive. This is about my husband's licence.

When we came to Canada 8 years ago, and he went to get a Canadian licence, they took his British licence off him.

How does he get it back when we return in July?

I've looked at the DVLA website and it says that if you swap a Canadian licence for a British one, then you are only allowed to drive an automatic. It also says you have to be resident in the UK, defined as having been here for 185 days, which is a hell of a long time to wait.

Does anyone know a way round this?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licence

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't drive. This is about my husband's licence.

When we came to Canada 8 years ago, and he went to get a Canadian licence, they took his British licence off him.

How does he get it back when we return in July?

I've looked at the DVLA website and it says that if you swap a Canadian licence for a British one, then you are only allowed to drive an automatic. It also says you have to be resident in the UK, defined as having been here for 185 days, which is a hell of a long time to wait.

Does anyone know a way round this?
There is a form for applying for a replacement UK license. I can't recall what details you have to fill in on your past license but I think some form of ID (like a passport) is required if you don't have details of the license (such as the previous license number).
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-r...riving-licence
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:51 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

That's not going to work, is it? If you read what it says underneath.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That's not going to work, is it? If you read what it says underneath.
Can't see anything adverse? Just report it lost and apply for a replacement.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:31 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Making a false statement to obtain a licence is a criminal offence. I'm interested in doing it legally.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

There has been threads on this before. The rule for only driving an automatic if you swap the canadian license for the UK one only applies when you took your test in an automatic car. You have to prove that you took the test in a standard car which is what you do when you take the UK test. If you can remember your UK license number or have a copy still then you can use that as proof. If not you will have to let the DVLA know that your husband previously held a UK license and took his test in the UK. If they can find these records then they will give him a UK license without any restrictions.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
There has been threads on this before. The rule for only driving an automatic if you swap the canadian license for the UK one only applies when you took your test in an automatic car. You have to prove that you took the test in a standard car which is what you do when you take the UK test. If you can remember your UK license number or have a copy still then you can use that as proof. If not you will have to let the DVLA know that your husband previously held a UK license and took his test in the UK. If they can find these records then they will give him a UK license without any restrictions.
Thanks.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:05 am

Making a false statement to obtain a licence is a criminal offence. I'm interested in doing it legally.
How is it illegal? Your husband no longer has his licence and he doesn't know where it is. All in likelihood it has been destroyed by the Canadian authorities. If you're worried about the correct procedure why not ring the DVLA and ask then?

Last edited by BritInParis; Jan 11th 2014 at 12:09 am.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:16 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
How is it illegal? Your husband no longer has his licence and he doesn't know where it is. All in likelihood it has been destroyed by the Canadian authorities. If you're worried about the correct procedure why not ring the DVLA and ask then?
That argument would not wash in court. Trust me I'm a (retired) lawyer.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:29 am

That argument would not wash in court. Trust me I'm a (retired) lawyer.
Ask the Canadians for it back then. Not really sure what answer you're expecting to find by asking on here. Either it's lost or destroyed and needs replacing or it's not. If you want to do things strictly by the book then ring the DVLA and ask them. I highly suspect they will give you exactly the same answer.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:47 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Ask the Canadians for it back then. Not really sure what answer you're expecting to find by asking on here. Either it's lost or destroyed and needs replacing or it's not. If you want to do things strictly by the book then ring the DVLA and ask them. I highly suspect they will give you exactly the same answer.
No they won't. A surrendered licence is not a lost licence. The Canadians do not give back foreign licences once they have been surrendered.

What I'm hoping to find by asking on here is someone who has been through the procedure and knows what to do.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

No they won't. A surrendered licence is not a lost licence. The Canadians do not give back foreign licences once they have been surrendered.

What I'm hoping to find by asking on here is someone who has been through the procedure and knows what to do.
The DVLA people are very helpful on the phone (at least they were when I was still in England). I would give them a quick call. You are probably over-thinking this.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:57 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The DVLA people are very helpful on the phone (at least they were when I was still in England). I would give them a quick call. You are probably over-thinking this.
I sent off an email query to the DVLA today. I just thought someone might have already dealt with the same problem.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:04 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...h_further_help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.