Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

becoming a police officer

becoming a police officer

Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:19 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: becoming a police officer

Originally Posted by jimmymac96
So every single cop in chicago was 'connected to someone' before they became a cop?
Chicago is a historically very corrupt city, so wouldn't surprise me that a significant number of positions (especially desirable ones) are filled due to connections.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thephionex
Federal law requires you to be a us citizen as I am waiting till I get my citizenship to join the sheriffs dept where I am
Would you like to cite the Federal law that applies to sheriff and other police departments, as opposed to Federal officers. Most of the States have a law which gives the eligibility for a police officer in that State, and the officers are State not Federally certified. Colorado comes to mind as one of the few States which has no citizenship requirement for police officers.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

jimmymac96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
Would you like to cite the Federal law that applies to sheriff and other police departments, as opposed to Federal officers. Most of the States have a law which gives the eligibility for a police officer in that State, and the officers are State not Federally certified. Colorado comes to mind as one of the few States which has no citizenship requirement for police officers.
If my application to the CPD goes to shit I'm packing my bags and heading to colorado
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

thephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nice

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
That's because they keep being shot and killed (honest to god, I bet you that is the reason).
If my application to the CPD goes to shit I'm packing my bags and heading to colorado

Jimmy your looking at 4 years before you can even apply then if successfully accepted a year long application process then maybe you get through police work is not like it is on tv but if you really want to be a cop choose a nice municipality there you can make a difference but if you just wanna carry a gun and shoot someone then lapd might be for you
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

thephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nice

Originally Posted by lansbury
Stand corrected I know that when I applied to the sheriffs office It was clearly printed federal law but if I am wrong I am wrong
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Jimmy your looking at 4 years before you can even apply then if successfully accepted a year long application process then maybe you get through police work is not like it is on tv but if you really want to be a cop choose a nice municipality there you can make a difference but if you just wanna carry a gun and shoot someone then lapd might be for you
I'm still young, I probably won't be applying for another 4-6 years anyway, first and foremost is getting the green card...
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:55 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still young, I probably won't be applying for another 4-6 years anyway, first and foremost is getting the green card...
I know you have mentioned a couple of times in your posts about their ability (CPD) to do a background check on your UK background, is there something that may be of concern there? If so, this (whatever it may be) may hinder you actual visa application. Just because you a married to a USC does not guarantee you a path to permanent residency.

If this is not the case, and there are no major "skeletons in the closet" then all you need do is ensure you keep your nose clean until then!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
I know you have mentioned a couple of times in your posts about their ability (CPD) to do a background check on your UK background, is there something that may be of concern there? If so, this (whatever it may be) may hinder you actual visa application. Just because you a married to a USC does not guarantee you a path to permanent residency.

If this is not the case, and there are no major "skeletons in the closet" then all you need do is ensure you keep your nose clean until then!
Well I experimented with marijuana around the age of 15, also I got into a bit of trouble at secondary school. The marijuana use is on my UK NHS medical records, I've never used any hard drugs, or been arrested... well accept from the time when I was like 14 I got taken home by the police for drinking a can of coke in a shop without paying, but I was never actually arrested just told off and taken home, I got no criminal record, no charges ever pressed against me or anything like that.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Colorado it is.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Colorado it is.
Well I do not have a criminal record. I don't think my application will be ****ed if I am honest that i used marijuana like maybe once or twice at the age of 15?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it still show in your system?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Does it still show in your system?
Nope, and don't forget once I am applying to the CPD it will be over ten years since i used it during my adolescents.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Stand corrected I know that when I applied to the sheriffs office It was clearly printed federal law but if I am wrong I am wrong
Annecdotally, I hear that sheriff's departments are more accommodating of non-citizens that PDs.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Nope, and don't forget once I am applying to the CPD it will be over ten years since i used it during my adolescents.
I was just looking at the use of marijuana and becoming a police officer... most police departments just require you to have not used marijuana for certain period of time E.g 3 years
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Selection Process includes:
Police Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER Test), which test strength, endurance, and flexibility
Background Investigation
Polygraph
Psychological Test
Medical Examination
Drug Screen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.