Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Is this relating just to sky subscription channels or freesat as well?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:14 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Is this relating just to sky subscription channels or freesat as well?
Both.
All this relates to most UK TV channels.
UK sat TV comes from 4 satellites, each with a number of frequencies, that each carry a number of channels, free to air and subscription
3 of these satellites are being replaced over the next year or so - Astra 1n, 2a, and 2b will be replaced by 2e,2f and 2g.

No word on if / when the other Eurobird / Eutelsat 28 will be replaced - that tends to carry a lot of the "cheap" channels like CBS, shopping, foreign, god, and text channels.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear just have to wait and see what we get then
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
oh dear just have to wait and see what we get then
Yes I guess that's the case.

We have had plenty of notice over the last two years.

Luckily I have more than enough room for a big dish but to be on the safe side I have been filling up external hard disks on my Humax with decent program material - films and series etc just in case. 2.5 terabytes so far and nearly all in HD.

I know the Internet is an option but if you are used to full HD TV on a big screen it's going to be a bit of a let down - even with a decent connection.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:02 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes I guess that's the case.

We have had plenty of notice over the last two years.

Luckily I have more than enough room for a big dish but to be on the safe side I have been filling up external hard disks on my Humax with decent program material - films and series etc just in case. 2.5 terabytes so far and nearly all in HD.

I know the Internet is an option but if you are used to full HD TV on a big screen it's going to be a bit of a let down - even with a decent connection.

sorry fred but thats no so any more ...try watching this using a HDMI cable from pc to TV

http://vimeo.com/channels/hd/41499247

or those with a SKY plus box one of the good things is that you can go back to the start of a LIVE program if you come in late
Now you can do the same with BBC LIVE on the BBC IPLAYER using just your PC/laptop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...e-restart.html
Attached Thumbnails Sky TV/ Satellite changes-608-1-.jpg  

Last edited by BAT7311; Jul 18th 2012 at 11:09 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:55 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAT7311
sorry fred but thats no so any more ...try watching this using a HDMI cable from pc to TV
I've done that with iPlayer and there is no way that it is as good a picture as the Full HD picture from HD satellite transmissions.

Acceptable - yes. HD - no.

Also I am limited to about 2.5mb/s which is not enough.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 19th 2012 at 6:15 am.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agh well they do say it is better for learning Spanish to watch Spanish TV rather than English, every cloud and all that
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:02 am
Banned

I've done that with iPlayer and there is no way that it is as good a picture as the Full HD picture from HD satellite transmissions.

Acceptable - yes. HD - no.

Also I am limited to about 2.5mb/s which is not enough.
i know you cant because your bandwidth is not high,but to get HD on bbc you select it on the iplayer .....they say you need 3.5mb
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:05 am

i know you cant because your bandwidth is not high,but to get HD on bbc you select it on the iplayer .....they say you need 3.5mb
But even that isn't full HD - it's 720p at a low bitrate. It's good but not as good as the original transmission.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 19th 2012 at 10:08 am.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:30 pm
Banned

But even that isn't full HD - it's 720p at a low bitrate. It's good but not as good as the original transmission.
i was not thinking of a chose but if the satellite was not there.....
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like whizz kids pushing out the boundaries in the hope that a few will follow them, forgetting of course that the public don't have access to the public purse

the same happened with Boo.com - race away technology the punter had no chance of emulating without a small country's budget.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:59 pm

i was not thinking of a chose but if the satellite was not there.....
Very true - my point was that what is available via the Internet at present, certainly for the free UK channels, is at a lower quality but it's certainly better than nothing.

In a few years when the bandwidth has improved due to Wimax systems or fibre optics it will become the De Facto standard.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Astra 2F Not looking good for Spain.

http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2f.php

I can't get any signal at all on the above freq on the new sat with a 1,3m dish in Andalucia.

Last edited by big wheels; Nov 22nd 2012 at 11:48 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:34 am
Banned

the algarve will need 2.4m ,you might get away with a 1.8 where you are,but this has been a well known fact since start of this year...
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 6:13 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to other places (east europe), it actually looks good for Spain, or rather Spain got off lightly - depending where you are!

In costa blanca north / valencia 1m dishes looks to be OK for the 2f uk beam ( ia m getting a signals on my 80cm dish!)

Costa blanca south looks like a 1.25m dish at least for the 2f uk beam.

Further south (CDS and Andalucia) bigger...for the 2f uk beam.

Note : currently this is only one frequency - carrying two test HD channels. Things may still change if they can "tweak" the signal.

Last edited by The Guy; Nov 23rd 2012 at 6:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.