Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Tosh!!! Utter tosh!!

Degree???????? Who've you been listening to????

I'd love to meet a member of the Policia Nacional with a degree!!!!!!!!!!!
There are also places opening up all the time around the country - just pick up the jobs section on any given Sunday to see the number of public courses available. There is an advert at the moment in my town(and I assume it is going out across the region) for 2100+ public office places up for grabs, among them in the police. (Edit - 2100 jobs in the region not just the town)

As for the 10 years rule - didn't that change quite some time ago?????? For EU citizens it is much less and the 10 year rule is only for non EU people????
That's a relief. Having to return to the UK to take a degree would have made it impossible for me to change nationality.

On the websites I have been reading it still states 10 years (if you are unmarried and not a refugee that is). Not sure how often these websites are kept up to date though.

Last edited by Veleta; Mar 19th 2009 at 8:10 am.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:13 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Well about the 10 years I'm not sure, but I'm fairly certain I was told that for EU people it was less
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:33 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
I will be applying for Spanish nationality in the not too distant future and my question is about whether a degree is necessary or not as part of the application process. I read that it is not, but Livit has heard otherwise.
I mentioned the degree for a post in the Spanish police, not to become a Spanish citizen.

You can study Spanish language in Spain, in the same way English Literature/Language is taught in UK state schools.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:42 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Raffer
i think he was refering to me working in catalonia when i said about working for mosses d'esquadra well i already speak a good amount of catalan and havent been learning to long believe me my barca mates were well impressed and said that i should stand at job interviews. I know euskerra is hard but thats the challenge im not after speaking fluent just understanding and speaking to a good level to help me with my career in spain, i already know a few words but dont wont to stop there Gero Arte
When you apply for a job with the Policia National you have to complete an application form, on that application form you list your qualifications etc etc as in any post in the world.

Whilst entry into the Policia dosn`t require a degree level education, you as an immigrant would be required to provide evidence to support your application.

If you have not shown you have a high enough level of Spanish to be capable of becoming a Policia you won`t get an interview.

The Policia do carry guns and are expected to act in situations of high stress and confusion, you have to show that you can communicate in situation`s most people never face in there lives.

As for public jobs, all are advertised in the press/media whilst there may well be 2000 advertised you may well find 2000 people are applying too each post.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:17 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the "jobs" advertised are not actually official. They are training companies to prepare for entrance exams etc. When the REAL jobs are advertised they are always over-subscribed by thousands. No chance for a Foreigner even a naturalised one.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:40 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a spate of animal poisonings in our area recently. A French woman came round with a petition to stop people putting poisoned meat down in the village It was the first we had heard of it, apparently it is a regular occurance (we have 4 cats). We later saw a notice on the door of the village shop referring to the poisoning and advising evryone to keep their pets indoors and to be extra vigilant when walking dogs. There are quite a few 'expats' in the village and surrounding area but the notice is in Spanish, no English translation. For something as serious as this I would have thought an English translation would have been put up alongside
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Raffer is an unknown quantity at this point

so there for translation work would probably do
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lionda
There are quite a few 'expats' in the village and surrounding area but the notice is in Spanish, no English translation. For something as serious as this I would have thought an English translation would have been put up alongside
How oftern in the UK do you see warning notices in Arabic, Indian etc etc.

I`ve only ever read notices in English in the UK.

It`s the responsibility on expats to learn the language, not the Spanish to accommodate there inabilities.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Raffer
so there for translation work would probably do

Most local councils don`t require you to show a formal qualification in language to act as a translator, although there are moves in large cities to employ people proffessionally.

Smaller towns tend to have a list of local`s who provide the service free.

You may also find it easier to join the UK police in Gibraltor, then attempt a transfer to Spain.

For an expat, to become a National, then site Oposiciones and become in a country that has the highest unemployment levels of the EU would be, to put it mildly, a very up hill job.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:49 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit

It`s the responsibility on expats to learn the language, not the Spanish to accommodate there inabilities.
Whilst I agree with you that expats have an obligation to master Spanish, the example you chose is a bad one. In areas where there are large immigrant popuations, local councils spend a small fortune on getting signs and literature translated into the differing languages.

Most local councils don`t require you to show a formal qualification in language to act as a translator, although there are moves in large cities to employ people proffessionally.

Smaller towns tend to have a list of local`s who provide the service free.

You may also find it easier to join the UK police in Gibraltor, then attempt a transfer to Spain.

For an expat, to become a National, then site Oposiciones and become in a country that has the highest unemployment levels of the EU would be, to put it mildly, a very up hill job.
If it is a translation that is not important in any way, ok. But councils - and for most things in Spain - that need translations they need to be Sworn Translations (Juridica) for which you need a formal qualification. It could be that there is someone native English who could do a much better job, but if they are not Juridica then they won't be used.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:25 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

So you learned Spanish overnight then did you clever you Unfortunately most people take a little longer to learn a foreign language, and whilst learning the language and living amongst the people it would be a nice gesture to put important notices in English as most foreigners speak English and in this case - the poisoning of animals - I would have thought it to be the least they could do.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:38 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lionda
So you learned Spanish overnight then did you clever you Unfortunately most people take a little longer to learn a foreign language, and whilst learning the language and living amongst the people it would be a nice gesture to put important notices in English as most foreigners speak English and in this case - the poisoning of animals - I would have thought it to be the least they could do.
Hey Lin!!!!!!!! Hows it going? Long time no see.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, even the Welsh have got there own S S translation.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:26 pm

Only to tell you lot how much you have to pay to enter our country
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Only to tell you lot how much you have to pay to enter our country
Tough game against France wernit. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.