Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia ranked 2nd in UN "human development index"

Australia ranked 2nd in UN "human development index"

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia ranked 2nd in UN "human development index"

The Human Development Index is not created in order to rank countries from 'best' to 'worst'. That is an absolute insult to the UN and all the experts in their field who are involved with the UN to suggest that. No such definitive measure exists to categorise countries in terms of how 'good' they are. It is purely a measure of 'quality of life' in the purest and most basic sense, i.e. health, wealth, education etc.

Anyone who can only achieve self worth and assurance by proving that their country is 'the best' has serious issues. It is childish behaviour at best.

Yes, there are plenty of idiotic Australians that are guilty of this, but through reading this forum and from other sources there are plenty from the UK and elsewhere who are more than willing to play this game as well. It's probably a global phenomenon actually where people from around the world seem to spend their lives looking for personal validation through evidence and assurance that their country/nation is "the best"

Number one, a country or nation is an extremely complex and diverse concept. There are many good things and bad things that make up a nation and many different people have many different opinions on which of these things are 'good' or 'bad' in the first place.

Number two, just because you were born in or live in a country it doesn't mean you are the country. A great part of the achievements of nations were due to somebody else's efforts whilst many of the population sit on their arse and try to claim the kudos.

People can slag off other people's countries all they like to try and make themselves feel more empowered but at the end of the day it is a highly immature, pointless and futile exercise.

People who love Australia- the way of life, the culture, the climate, geography etc. and are proud of their country will continue to do so, much in the same way that proud people from the UK will do the same, the same with every other country.

At the end of the day it's the same planet and we are all the same species so who gives a stuff anyway? It's ridiculous really.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Nov 3rd 2011 at 10:34 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:38 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
At the end of the day it's the same planet and we are all the same species
That hurts.
You've lumped me in with undesirables..........and Grayling.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
That hurts.
You've lumped me in with undesirables..........and Grayling.
I am glad you can distinguish me from the riff raff
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I am glad you can distinguish me from the riff raff
Did you see what I did there?
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:19 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
At the end of the day it's the same planet and we are all the same species so who gives a stuff anyway? It's ridiculous really.

Mumbai Slum:

Sydney Slum:

OCCUPY!!!

Last edited by commonwealth; Nov 3rd 2011 at 11:22 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:27 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Is that Mumbai's new 5 star Hilton?

DE-POPULATE
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Then feed us.
Attached Thumbnails Australia ranked 2nd in UN "human development index"-children.jpg  
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
They forgot Scotland.....or were they lower down with the amoebas?
Last time I checked i'm pretty sure they were included in the United Kingdom. Back to the geography class for you!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Star07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
What a shame they don't speak English
That's a joke right? Norwegians definitely speak English.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

sailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Last time I checked i'm pretty sure they were included in the United Kingdom. Back to the geography class for you!

I wonder what the indices would be had they separately rated England and Scotland.

England would at least be higher than USA for sure

Last edited by sailechz; Nov 3rd 2011 at 9:26 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Star07
That's a joke right? Norwegians definitely speak English.
The clue is in the emoticon

Oh and welcome to BE

...One in, one out
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

sailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paulry
The clue is in the emoticon

Oh and welcome to BE

...One in, one out
Tussen Tak
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sailechz

I wonder what the indices would be had they separately rated England and Scotland.

England would at least be higher than USA for sure

Are you not getting dizzy from rolling your eyes so much?

Personally couldn't care less one way nor tother how either are rated. We have all seen so many of these totally meaningless ratings it gets boring after a while
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:59 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

ProudVIC:

>>The Human Development Index is not created in order to rank countries from 'best' to 'worst'<<

Of course not. But what exactly is the point of it? It's like putting apples, oranges, bananas and plums into a basket and concluding that the average is mangoes.

I suppose it provides employment for the analysts who labour away at the list, so it can't all be bad.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Are you not getting dizzy from rolling your eyes so much?

Personally couldn't care less one way nor tother how either are rated. We have all seen so many of these totally meaningless ratings it gets boring after a while
i hope u inderstand the emoticon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.