Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Toronto Police interview stage

Toronto Police interview stage

Old Nov 16th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough
Default Toronto Police interview stage

Hi are there any former UK officers who have recently been accepted into TPS and what were their experiences? I have my final interview with Toronto coming up next month, if successful to start at CO Bick College in March/April.

I can't wait to leave UK for good, it's so miserable, though the Tasers are a good idea.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice
Default Re: Toronto Police interview stage

Originally Posted by guyfawkes
Hi are there any former UK officers who have recently been accepted into TPS and what were their experiences? I have my final interview with Toronto coming up next month, if successful to start at CO Bick College in March/April.

I can't wait to leave UK for good, it's so miserable, though the Tasers are a good idea.
hi there

Please can tell me how you got your interview for toronto police??

My hubby has contacted them on different occasions and they tell him they dont recruit from the UK unless a canadian citizen.

Thanks
Michelle
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

guyfawkes is Canadian

No advice, by the way, guyfawkes - but good luck
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

Oh right, i am canadian but my husband is not and he is the copper not me, i can get us all in canada, then he would have to do it from there i suppose.

Michelle
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough

Hi if you are Canadian then you shoud start the sponsorship process ASAP for your family, and your husband should contact TPS ASAP and make sure he makes it clear that this is in process.

I don't know if they would say to wait till his visa is issued, but probably he can take the testing via ATS an agency which does all the testing for Ontario Police forces (except OPP and Peel) right away, and then if he passes this when he goes interview by this time he'd have his immigration status confirmed.

But he needs to make it really clear in any communications with TPS that 1) he is married to you a Canadian and 2) that you are in process in sponsoring him.

The reason TPS are hesitant about out of Canada applicants is because a scheme to hire 100s of UK officers a few years backfired when most of them who had passed selection couldn't get visas even with the job offer.

But if they were clear that in your husband's case he would automatically get status through you, it shouldn't be an issue.

I have 2 friends who are ex-Uk police in Ontario (not TPS) and they all say it's the best.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:14 am
Just Joined

stgeorgex is a jewel in the roughstgeorgex is a jewel in the roughstgeorgex is a jewel in the roughstgeorgex is a jewel in the roughstgeorgex is a jewel in the rough

They will take you if you have permanent resident status too, good luck
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future

I would be in a similar position to familyof4!

I am being sponsored by my gf to come and live in Canada. I'm the English Cop hoping to go and work for the TPS.

So my plan was to get all of the ATS stuff out of the way first and once i have PR and my Ontario driving license (cuz you need 1)

Guy Fawkes i have a couple of questions for you. Are you currently a Police Officer in the UK? And if so, do you think the TPS pushed your application through quicker than say, others who do not have previous policing experience? How long did your application process with TPS take from start to finish?

One more thing.... DID YOU GET YOUR START DATE YET???????

Sargie.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

ExMetCop is an unknown quantity at this point

Chaps

From my name I am sure you will work out where I came from. I joined Halton Region (45 mins from Toronto) 3 years ago. We have many ex pats and a small contingent of them moved here 5 years ago on the promise of a job by TPS. Long story short TPS screwed them over after they had uprooted their families and moved over, retracting the job offer. Im not advising you against it, just be careful with TPS, hopefully theyre not behaving like this any more.

My service snaps up ex pats like a fat kid in a candy store eatign smarties. They value our experience and have a number of high ranking Brits. If I can be of ANY help to my cop brothers and sisters please do not hesitate to E-Mail me!

Good luck! And remember that you HAVE to have your PR to apply to East coast services. ATS physical test expires 6 months after passing.... so you may end up doing it more than once.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

bobhope is on a distinguished road

I have a question for you! I got defered by EPS in 2005 for 5 yrs, basicall got a trunk full of complaints, usual not substantiated, but it seems to be haunting me now! I have been in Canada for 4 years in March I work with the Government as a Senior Investigator, is it worth applying out East or would they rubber stamp EPS descision? I have 20 years police experience, and a great record since being here. Which forces in ON are the most understanding shall we say! ha ha
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobhope
I have a question for you! I got defered by EPS in 2005 for 5 yrs, basicall got a trunk full of complaints, usual not substantiated, but it seems to be haunting me now! I have been in Canada for 4 years in March I work with the Government as a Senior Investigator, is it worth applying out East or would they rubber stamp EPS descision? I have 20 years police experience, and a great record since being here. Which forces in ON are the most understanding shall we say! ha ha
For the "most understanding" I would have to say Toronto. I am by no means saying that you are of low calibre and with your experience you will probably have a good chance at most places. Toronto however... my goodness they take on anyone. At Police College I was stunned and amazed at the poor quality that service were sending through and extremely grateful that I was not going to have to work with them. Hamilton and Peel are also more "rough and ready" services.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

ha ha rough and ready! thats funny, well I should be doing my ATS stuff in the next couple of months so we shall see. Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobhope
ha ha rough and ready! thats funny, well I should be doing my ATS stuff in the next couple of months so we shall see. Thanks for the info!
good luck old boy! If you feel you require some brushing up on what is in the ATS exam.... The book store Chapters sells an ATS practice book which is exactly the same as the test... Pricey at $50 though
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Yes I have seen the book, if its the one I am thinkling of its a big blue one,I will get it just to make sure I am covered from my end! Just gotta get my arse in gear and book it now! haha
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:02 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Hi ExMetCop.
As you're out there doing the do, may I PM you? Looks like I may be relocating to your neck of the woods and would be grateful for and advice and wisdom you may wish to share.
Regards, Pincher.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pincher
Hi ExMetCop.
As you're out there doing the do, may I PM you? Looks like I may be relocating to your neck of the woods and would be grateful for and advice and wisdom you may wish to share.
Regards, Pincher.
Of course. I joined this forum for the purpose of helping my Brothers from the UK as best I can!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.