Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

'Maintained Status' query spousal inland PR application

'Maintained Status' query spousal inland PR application

Old Apr 16th 2024, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

SeanHolmes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Maintained Status' query spousal inland PR application

Hi,

I am currently 3 months into a PR application living in Canada. Next month my visitor status will expire. I am not on any kind of temp visa, just here as a visitor from the UK (UK citizen) and was given permission to stay here on arrival until 6th May. I have applied for an Open Work Permit (which I have not yet received) and I will almost certainly not receive my PR before next month. From some research I think that I may have 'maintained status' because i have applied for the OWP meaning I am allowed to remain past the date of expiry of my current status until I receive a Yes/No on the work permit, is this correct? Has anybody else been in this situation who can help please? Or do I need to apply somewhere to stay longer as a visitor?

Many thanks

(Below, what I have read on IRCC website)

"Yes, you can stay in Canada until we make a decision on your new work permit application. This is called maintained status. You may also be authorized to work until we make a decision on your application"
Old Apr 16th 2024, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: 'Maintained Status' query spousal inland PR application

Originally Posted by DreamingDancer
Yes, correct. If you apply for an Open Work Permit before visitor status runs out, it means you are still holding onto your status. You can remain in Canada until they make a decision about your application for work permit. It is not necessary to request an extension as a visitor. Ensure you have a duplicate of your work permit application and evidence it was sent to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), should they request to see them. I wish you success on your application.
Fantastic, what a relief! Thank you very much
Old Apr 18th 2024, 2:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeanHolmes
Fantastic, what a relief! Thank you very much
Sorry, but this person wasn’t genuine and didn’t have a clue! The bit you’ve quoted is for those who are on work permits, not visitors. I’ll dig in to the regs tomorrow and try and find you a proper answer.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 18th 2024 at 2:11 am.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have valid visitor status and have submitted a spousal application (in Canada Class) and then you submit a Work Permit application because you're eligible based on the spousal/AOR you will benefit from Maintained Status as long as the WP application is submitted while your visitor status is still valid. But it's safer to also submit a Visitor Extension to cover all bases.

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 18th 2024 at 2:58 am.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If you have valid visitor status and have submitted a spousal application (in Canada Class) and then you submit a Work Permit application because you're eligible based on the spousal/AOR you will benefit from Maintained Status as long as the WP application is submitted while your visitor status is still valid. But it's safer to also submit a Visitor Extension to cover all bases.
Thank for for reply, Yep, open work permit was applied for 2 months ago and my visitor status is still valid... and received AOR etc before applying for OWP

Last edited by SeanHolmes; Apr 18th 2024 at 12:13 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry, but this person wasn’t genuine and didn’t have a clue! The bit you’ve quoted is for those who are on work permits, not visitors. I’ll dig in to the regs tomorrow and try and find you a proper answer.
Thank you, I appreciate it
Old Apr 19th 2024, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Any luck christmasoompa? I'm wondering should I just try to extend my visitors status to be safe, though i am reading in a few places that I should be covered because I applied for the work permit while still on valid visitors status? Thanks again
Old Apr 22nd 2024, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeanHolmes
Any luck christmasoompa? I'm wondering should I just try to extend my visitors status to be safe, though i am reading in a few places that I should be covered because I applied for the work permit while still on valid visitors status? Thanks again
Sorry, had a manic weekend. Personally I'd extend your visitor status as well just to be on the safe side, although I agree with Snowy.