Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

With people like this around

With people like this around

Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:18 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default With people like this around

there is always going to be division amongst the Maori and Pakeha

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ri-im-shutting
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: With people like this around

What a prick!

I'm not quite sure how Maori needs are different to anyone elses. Wish they had quizzed him much harder.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:14 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

This was a perfectly opportunity for a robust debate on race and the police, but the reporters fumbled it. Not surprising really, as they are the lightweight breakfast news muppets.

Be interesting to see if it is picked up elsewhere.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the page for Mr. Steven Elers of Massey University and it looks like he lectures "219.107 Introduction to Cross-Cultural Communication." It goes on to say Mr. Elers is part of the "Schl of Communication[Sic], Journalism & Marketing" then underneath lists his phone number and direct extension however.

Previously Mr. Elers has also been quoted by media as saying:
"There are people who live as Pākehā, who apply for Māori scholarships because they have a toenail of Māori whakapapa," he said. " Is that right or wrong? That's the conversation that needs to happen."
Numerous studies have shown that the mainstream media tend to stereotype Māori as either mad, bad or sad...
If I was a professional journalist I'd have this guy on speed dial for quotes every time any slightly Maori related story broke just to see if he'd give me something I could quote that would fill a few inches. It's good for his career as an academic trying to draw attention to himself and good for you as an under appreciated, overworked journalist who just wants to bang something out for print so you can get back to chatting up some of the better looking interns.

I like him a lot. Sure it's not great journalism but that'll do for TVNZ.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:23 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Not surprising really, as they are the lightweight breakfast news muppets.
jmh! Morning telly is renowned for it's quality journalism and in-depth analysis of issues that profoundly influence the political and cultural dialogue in this country.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it works both ways and we could all have our own special police force, I'm going to get a sticker for my front door that says 'If a cop knocks on this door, he'd better be Pommie or I'm shutting the door.'

That assumes the cops are going to be so polite as to stand on the step, knock nicely and wait to be invited in.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 5:49 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

That assumes the cops are going to be so polite as to stand on the step, knock nicely and wait to be invited in.
But they do on the telly!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

If your going to accept social welfare payments from the government, You will accept the police process.

It has always been a good approach to try and settle negotiations with same ethnicity if available. If not well who started growing the drugs? Who kept their mouths shut knowing what was growing?

Soon as someone fires on our police they loose public sympathy regardless of ethnic origin.