Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand much larger than i expected

New Zealand much larger than i expected

Old Jan 31st 2016, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand much larger than i expected

Originally Posted by Kotare
My wife joined the local land use/conservation group. We are between two kiwi conservation areas and her first meeting was 95% taken up with control of mustalids, rats, possums through poisoning, trapping, shooting. The other 5% was dog control.

I notice UK conservation goups are cheering on the increasing spread of polecats and want to reintroduce wolves. Different world :-)
Yes - the key difference being REintroduction.
Animals which have been predated out of existence by man do still have a general niche to occupy (although some of the predating was because they could physically harm humans - or more usually economically harm humans).

There are animals in the UK (mink from farms, American fresh water crayfish) which are being actively hunted because they are destroying the native fauna.

However the UK is generally a much tougher environment for new species to establish in. NZ is a bit laid back about general competition.