Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Your Right To Die Painlessly

Your Right To Die Painlessly

Old Jul 28th 2013, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Right To Die Painlessly

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
I think there should be some kind of liing will where when you are fit and have all your marbles in line to actually specify trigger points, like when I reach this point XXX pull the plug.
There is, my parents have written living wills, effectively they state that if they're on life support we pull the plug. By which I mean that we, the children, when asked by the medical staff, tell them to pull the plug.
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter.../living-wills/
Old Jul 28th 2013, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The law needs to change. Certainly there should be caveats to stop abuse, but it's inhumane to make someone who wants to die, due to having a painful terminal illness, suffer because someone else thinks they should.
I suspect it's the caveats which make it extremely difficult. How do you make sure there is no abuse. Son & daughters a bit short of money decide it would be a good idea to 'let' old mum & dad die so they can inherit. The list goes on.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:26 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I suspect it's the caveats which make it extremely difficult. How do you make sure there is no abuse. Son & daughters a bit short of money decide it would be a good idea to 'let' old mum & dad die so they can inherit. The list goes on.
Video lawyer doctor

Evidence and the two professionals in dependant so no family tie
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikewot
There is, my parents have written living wills, effectively they state that if they're on life support we pull the plug. By which I mean that we, the children, when asked by the medical staff, tell them to pull the plug.
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter.../living-wills/
Thanks.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

All I hope is nobody here ever has to deal with such a tragic situation.

Must be extremely difficult for the individual and those around have to make that call.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it absolutely should be legal. Until you are in the situation you have no idea how you'll feel whether its you or a loved one. All these prolife groups- it's such a personal choice, everyone is different and everyone should be entitled to end their life if they choose to without their family facing legal action.

As we all live longer draining the states resources i wonder if they would legalise it.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I have often wondered the following

if you are diagnosed with one of those hideous diseases that will leave you alive but in a useless body; when do you decide its time to go of your own accord. By that I mean that said guy asks his wife/family for assistance to help him go because he is now too ****ed to do it himself.
Wasn't there a point when said person thought, ah bollox the old arms are starting to go so I best pop the pills myself whilst I still can ?
I know you probably say just one day and then I'll do it myself but of course one day you cant pop the pills anymore

Hideous as I guess you will always want just more day
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:20 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Euthanasia is legal in Holland and Belgium. It's not a taboo at all, and doctors are free to refuse to assist cause of religious or moral reasons, quite a few people I know have changed their GP because of this. There are rules and regulations in place.
I think it's good to have a choice when it comes to things like this.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I remember watching that documentary about the assisted suicide place and thinking how brave these people were to end their own lives. I don't think I could do it to be honest with you.
If we're thinking about the same documentary, to me by far the saddest thing was that these more or less able-bodied individuals were forced into killing themselves before they needed to (i.e. before they became incapable of traveling to Switzerland). A truly compassionate society would have allowed them the dignity of being killed (for that is what is happening) at home in their own beds when they were really ready to go rather than when they thought they had no choice.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 6:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Euthanasia is legal in Holland and Belgium. It's not a taboo at all, and doctors are free to refuse to assist cause of religious or moral reasons, quite a few people I know have changed their GP because of this. There are rules and regulations in place.
I think it's good to have a choice when it comes to things like this.
The UK, and many other countries, could from these examples.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Some interesting comments on the BBC site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23520391
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Rights imply duties. If you have a right to die, someone must have the duty to kill you.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Rights imply duties. If you have a right to die, someone must have the duty to kill you.
Not necessarily.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Not necessarily.
no duty...just a choice. If somebody is really serious about "right to die" then they know that there is a short window of opportunity between..having a quality of life and being able to end that life.
I have plans in place for various scenarios.... If I have an accident and am on life support ..my family/friends know to pull the plug...no ifs no buts just pull it. I do not want to survive to be in a vegetative state.

I know that I do not want to become a burden to anybody...I don't believe that you should burden your children to care for you through your old age... I don't have children... but I have plans so that when I feel that I can no longer look after myself then I will pull the plug. I am not being melodramatic, my friends know exactly what I mean... for me it is about Quality rather than Quantity.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:37 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
no duty...just a choice. If somebody is really serious about "right to die" then they know that there is a short window of opportunity between..having a quality of life and being able to end that life.
I have plans in place for various scenarios.... If I have an accident and am on life support ..my family/friends know to pull the plug...no ifs no buts just pull it. I do not want to survive to be in a vegetative state.

I know that I do not want to become a burden to anybody...I don't believe that you should burden your children to care for you through your old age... I don't have children... but I have plans so that when I feel that I can no longer look after myself then I will pull the plug. I am not being melodramatic, my friends know exactly what I mean... for me it is about Quality rather than Quantity.
Ditto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.