British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Your Right To Die Painlessly (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/your-right-die-painlessly-804280/)

mentalist Jul 28th 2013 9:24 am

Your Right To Die Painlessly

As it's fairly quiet on here I thought this might be worth discussing...
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/thinking-al...0.html#Gi17I4T
Although the system might conceivably get abused by a small minority, I believe that we should all have the right to choose how we end our lives. What does the team think?

shiva Jul 28th 2013 9:28 am

Re: Your Right To Die Painlessly

The law, society or religion have no business in deciding, interfering or otherwise getting involved in anyway with an individuals right to end their own life in a way they see fit

Meow Jul 28th 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10822881)
The law, society or religion have no business in deciding, interfering or otherwise getting involved in anyway with an individuals right to end their own life in a way they see fit

This.

britexpat76 Jul 28th 2013 9:41 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10822881)

X2. I know I intend to decide for myself when I have had enough.

Theseus Jul 28th 2013 9:46 am

I agree - however it becomes a bit more complicated when you need help to die. Again you should be able to make that decision but there does need to be laws in place to protect people. Otherwise its just my word that says my mother asked me to help her end her life (that's a hypothetical mother btw, mine is very much still alive), rather than I got bored looking after her and decided myself to put her out of her misery.

Physician assisted suicide should be made legal that burden should no be on the family.

shiva Jul 28th 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10822905)
I agree - however it becomes a bit more complicated when you need help to die. Again you should be able to make that decision but there does need to be laws in place to protect people. Otherwise its just my word that says my mother asked me to help her end her life (that's a hypothetical mother btw, mine is very much still alive), rather than I got bored looking after her and decided myself to put her out of her misery.

Physician assisted suicide should be made legal that burden should no be on the family.

easy solution, video taped request with a doctor and lawyer present.

mikewot Jul 28th 2013 10:13 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10822920)
easy solution, video taped request with a doctor and lawyer present.

Unfortunately not legal in UK.

Meow Jul 28th 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10822932)

Surely the point of the discussion is what people think should be permitted? It's cruel to make people in pain travel to a dreary room in Switzerland to end their lives.

The law needs to change. Certainly there should be caveats to stop abuse, but it's inhumane to make someone who wants to die, due to having a painful terminal illness, suffer because someone else thinks they should.

shiva Jul 28th 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10822932)

No but if the will if the law makers was there it would be a relatively simple thing to change.
I honestly fail to see why it's even an issue in the few high publicity cases all that needed to happen was the government declines to go to court.

In effect your breaking the law we all know it but we refuse to prosecute and make an issue of it.

Add in my video and its a non issue, no Harold shipmans etc

Jim Smith Jul 28th 2013 10:35 am

I think there should be some kind of liing will where when you are fit and have all your marbles in line to actually specify trigger points, like when I reach this point XXX pull the plug. There is a gentleman in Southern Africa who probably wishes he had one.

Meow Jul 28th 2013 10:40 am

A living will may be the way to go, but as far as I am aware, just like pre-nups, they are not fully recognised by UK courts.

The world is cockeyed...

Irishbeekeeper Jul 28th 2013 11:00 am

1. I think no one wants to grow old
2. I think everyone hates it when they realize that they ARE infact getting old, despite not wanting to.
3. I think when you see some old or sick or old + sick people suffering, you automatically a. empathize with the other person, its human nature, b. do not want to see yourself in that situation
4. I think no one wants a bad death i.e. suffering etc.

My own personal opinion, ofcourse I would like my death to be as painless and as quick as possible but it doesnt matter what I think now does it. When its time, however it comes, I will just accept it and if the end has suffering for me in it, well tough luck to me then innit. I just hope its in a planecrash or a carcrash, quick and sudden. I also hope its well late in life so I get to meet my kids' kids. But I wouldnt opt for an assisted suicide. I am not saying the ones who would opt to do so are wrong to do so. I'm just giving my personal opinion thats all.

Blue Cat Jul 28th 2013 11:08 am

I remember watching that documentary about the assisted suicide place and thinking how brave these people were to end their own lives. I don't think I could do it to be honest with you.

Meow Jul 28th 2013 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10823011)
1. I think no one wants to grow old
2. I think everyone hates it when they realize that they ARE infact getting old, despite not wanting to.
3. I think when you see some old or sick or old + sick people suffering, you automatically a. empathize with the other person, its human nature, b. do not want to see yourself in that situation
4. I think no one wants a bad death i.e. suffering etc.

My own personal opinion, ofcourse I would like my death to be as painless and as quick as possible but it doesnt matter what I think now does it. When its time, however it comes, I will just accept it and if the end has suffering for me in it, well tough luck to me then innit. I just hope its in a planecrash or a carcrash, quick and sudden. I also hope its well late in life so I get to meet my kids' kids. But I wouldnt opt for an assisted suicide. I am not saying the ones who would opt to do so are wrong to do so. I'm just giving my personal opinion thats all.

And that is entirely your choice. (I doubt most deaths in a car crash are painless or without suffering!) Others want the option of ending their own life if they so choose. An adult should have that choice.

There used to be the concept of a 'good death' in British society. It meant one where you had the chance to say good bye to your family and friends, were in a comfortable place, with some dignity, and not in too much pain and were at peace with yourself. Modern society has a fear of death and most people don't like any kind of discussion related to it. Death comes to us all, most of us will get old and with that comes illness and infirmity. These issues should be addressed so we get to live as we want to in our later years.

martinbkk Jul 28th 2013 12:18 pm

Unfortunately our 'civilisation' has only really been around for a few thousand years and I suspect it will take a few more Milena of both education and need, it's a one size planet, before this matter can be approached rationally. I think a first step would be to either prove or disprove the existence of any hereafter and then perhaps a few centuries of coming to terms with the acceptance of what really is. Once the gen pop is comfortable with all that, and our living space is reduced to a few square metres each I think it should be quite possible to have a rational discussion about allowing people to choose how to go. Until then, far too much emotion.