Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Why do Arabs drive like that?

Why do Arabs drive like that?

Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:28 am

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do Arabs drive like that?

What about the asian taxi driver habit of crusing at 90Km/h while gently pulsing the accellerator on and off making you feel sick......
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Were there any cars in Dubai 30 years ago?
probably just a few ex-colonial Landrovers
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

having been here 30 yrs ago, yes there were cars, driving was bad but with so much less traffic not as bad. Camels were a much bigger problem since there were no fences by the roads. the AD Dubai highway was lethal at night due to camels.
and the young emiratis didnt have v8 landcrusiers to drive like nutters in, only 6 cylinder toyotas and nissans. there was also less money so less of the kids had cars and those that did didnt dare wreck them .

lorries were no worse or better but they did all used to be covered in fairy lights......what ever happened to those
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
having been here 30 yrs ago, yes there were cars, driving was bad but with so much less traffic not as bad. Camels were a much bigger problem since there were no fences by the roads. the AD Dubai highway was lethal at night due to camels.
and the young emiratis didnt have v8 landcrusiers to drive like nutters in, only 6 cylinder toyotas and nissans. there was also less money so less of the kids had cars and those that did didnt dare wreck them .

lorries were no worse or better but they did all used to be covered in fairy lights......what ever happened to those
by the look of it they put them all on villas on the beach road!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbies
I have a theory on this, and before anyone takes it in a particular way, its not intended to be a racist theory, its just my observation here...

Indians/Pakistanis - a number of them (not all) are bad drivers - no awareness of what is going on around them, they do not plan ahead when driving (what junction are they leaving the road at?? yes, the one they are about to pass and still aim for anyway at the last minute) and often their car is in poor condition (poor brakes, suspension etc). Put one of these drivers in charge of a bus/lorry and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

Arabs - a number of them (not all) are arrogant drivers - I am sure there is logic somewhere that states it is their country and the rest of the visitors just get in their way. Explains why they do not feel the need to queue to turn left at traffic lights and like to cut in whenever possible. The majority of those drivers that flash you to get out of the way - nationality? Again, you are a visitor holding them up.

I do not get out of their way, no matter how close they get to me, unless it is safe for me to do so - ie, I am passed who I was passing and there is space for me to get into without having to change my speed.

I am back in the UK in a few weeks and am looking forward to a bit of normal driving. You do have to change here, and in some ways a change for the worse. I am definitely a more assertive/aggressive driver here; if you don't change, you'll get nowhere in the traffic here.
that's what i was just about to say!!