Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Why do Arabs drive like that?

Why do Arabs drive like that?

Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:58 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do Arabs drive like that?

I forgot how bad they can be. Last night I had an encounter with one in a Land Cruiser (original, huh?) who was flashing and swinging side to side just inches from my rear bumper, even though I was just about to pass a truck. I stood my ground, so he overtook me on the inside, just managing to squeeze between me and the truck. I just don't understand the mentality, and really want to know what makes them act like this.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Arabs drive like that?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I forgot how bad they can be. Last night I had an encounter with one in a Land Cruiser (original, huh?) who was flashing and swinging side to side just inches from my rear bumper, even though I was just about to pass a truck. I stood my ground, so he overtook me on the inside, just managing to squeeze between me and the truck. I just don't understand the mentality, and really want to know what makes them act like this.
... I think its just because they can.

While we treat driving as generally a chore and appreciate the dangers of erratic driving, maybe they see it as a bit of fun and a challenge...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:20 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
... I think its just because they can.

While we treat driving as generally a chore and appreciate the dangers of erratic driving, maybe they see it as a bit of fun and a challenge...
How can they not appreciate the danger, not just to themselves, but to others? Is their belief in God so strong that they don't worry about dying in a horrible wreck?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

How can they not appreciate the danger, not just to themselves, but to others? Is their belief in God so strong that they don't worry about dying in a horrible wreck?
maybe it comes back to what they see as 'gods will'.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

just use your windscreen washers. they seem to hate getting their cars wet and back off!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

or maybe its because the last two generations have had such privileged lives with everything provided for them that they are just arrogant twunts who think laws don't apply to them!

(not all of them of course)
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
just use your windscreen washers. they seem to hate getting their cars wet and back off!
thats another thing..

Why is everyone sooooo bothered about having their car immaculately clean here.

I only get mine washed around once a month - when the sand dust has got so heavy on the car as to slow it down.. ...the wash car guys hate me, obviously.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by admon
thats another thing..

Why is everyone sooooo bothered about having their car immaculately clean here.

I only get mine washed around once a month - when the sand dust has got so heavy on the car as to slow it down.. ...the wash car guys hate me, obviously.
because its so damn cheap. In my old apartment building mine got washed every night for 100 dhs a month!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

because its so damn cheap. In my old apartment building mine got washed every night for 100 dhs a month!
gees that is crazy..

mind you we pay the guy that waters our grass and plants/trees every day only 200 dhs a month
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:43 am
Excess Baggage

or maybe its because the last two generations have had such privileged lives with everything provided for them that they are just arrogant twunts who think laws don't apply to them!

(not all of them of course)
Hmm. That had crossed my mind.

I think they should build Arab-only roads or lanes and let them get on with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYgi26C419M
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:24 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

And have you noticed how some nationalities always keep the plastic sheets on the passenger seats as if it helps keep the car's value!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:28 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by lionheart
And have you noticed how some nationalities always keep the plastic sheets on the passenger seats as if it helps keep the car's value!
I dread to think how sweaty one gets sitting on plastic.

Erk.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:41 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
Plastic wrap, shipping stickers, the little foam blocks on the door sills.....

You gotta laff...........

Look, I am driving a new car.....

Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

blokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant future

"I just don't understand the mentality, and really want to know what makes them act like this."

Insurance by Allah...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:09 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

and not putting kids in car seats drives me round the bend! I have had a good fight with a few local women in my time over this very matter. I am always flashing my lights at them etc. One day I will end up deported!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.