What motivates you?

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What motivates you?

Ok I had my trainer this morning who was making me do pressups (which obviously as a girl I hate doing). So seemingly to motivate me he went on to tell me about a client he has who he has been training for less time who has lost more weight than me and can do 40-50. Well good for her I say in a snide undertone. This has the absolute opposite effect on me and basically makes me feel crap about myself. After trying to explain to him that this is absolutely the worst way of trying to get me to do something- ie telling me someone else can do something that I can't, i then got a bit arsey and upset and struggled to focus for the rest of the session. I'm guessing if you are particularly competitive this might bring out the goods, but with me it really REALLY doesn't.

In every other aspect of my life I can discipline myself and never question myself but with sports my self esteem is zero. My current way of motivating myself is to chant bikini bikini bikini.

So what do you respond to and how do you motivate yourself to acheive the things you want? and I dont just mean sports wise-just in general?

xxx
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What motivates you?

What motivates me is the desire to wave two fingers at everyone who said "You'll never make it!" Nothing motivates me be better than proving them wrong.
Certainly not bragging here, but I am one of the few people who gets told by the Quack to put weight ON....( I weigh 43 kg.)
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Janxy- 43kgs- really- I have the mr muscle ad in my head- how tall are you? I think my left thigh weighs that!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Five ft. seven.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:46 am

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Ok I had my trainer this morning who was making me do pressups (which obviously as a girl I hate doing). So seemingly to motivate me he went on to tell me about a client he has who he has been training for less time who has lost more weight than me and can do 40-50. Well good for her I say in a snide undertone. This has the absolute opposite effect on me and basically makes me feel crap about myself. After trying to explain to him that this is absolutely the worst way of trying to get me to do something- ie telling me someone else can do something that I can't, i then got a bit arsey and upset and struggled to focus for the rest of the session. I'm guessing if you are particularly competitive this might bring out the goods, but with me it really REALLY doesn't.

In every other aspect of my life I can discipline myself and never question myself but with sports my self esteem is zero. My current way of motivating myself is to chant bikini bikini bikini.

So what do you respond to and how do you motivate yourself to acheive the things you want? and I dont just mean sports wise-just in general?

xxx
When you are talking about something like exercise I go into what I call "grind mode", I know its gonna hurt and I'm not gonna like it, but also I know that in 20mins or so it will be done and I will be better for it.

When your talking about other goals I agree with Ole, take all the negative energy and use it to your advantage, feed off it rather than letting it knock you back.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WakeUp
When you are talking about something like exercise I go into what I call "grind mode", I know its gonna hurt and I'm not gonna like it, but also I know that in 20mins or so it will be done and I will be better for it.

When your talking about other goals I agree with Ole, take all the negative energy and use it to your advantage, feed off it rather than letting it knock you back.
Exactly! Revenge is a suprisingly good fuel
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Five ft. seven.
way underweight!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
way underweight!
I'm well aware of that, thank you
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Janxy,

See revenge doesn't get me going, I don't really care about what other people think of my acheivements- I tend to be my own worst critic so my expectations of myself are generally higher than anyone elses anyway.

The I'll show them thing just doesn't rile me at all. hmm.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, well, when you're all skin and bones, as I am, a lot of people tend to dismiss you and say"No chance!". It gives me a bizarre satisfaction to prove to them that they were wrong, but I suppose what works for one person is no good for another.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:58 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

In work money/interest level balance.
In sports beating other people (not literally unless its boxing!).
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well janxy,

I am the opposite of you sadly- bit of a lardarse. i can remember my old boss telling me he thought fat people were lazy-(said looking directly at me) apart from wanting to go at him with a machete, I just dismissed him as a small minded twat, whose opinion counts for jackshit to me. As I am well aware that I am a bloody grafter if nothing else. In one sense his words stayed with me because its something Im very sensitive about, however I have no urge to ever see him again or impress him with what I have acheived. In fact I think so little of him because of his small mindedness and hurtful manner that I would really rather never see him ever again even if I acheived world domination and was a size 6.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I don't get motivated by being shouted at, chased, pushed for more, told someone else is better etc...it just makes me want to hit whoever is doing it.

I also HATE being told 3 more press ups (for example) and doing 3, then being told 2 more or 1 more. I can count you dickhead, tell me 5 more and I'll do 5, tell me 3 and I'll do 3.

Just tell the bloke you need positive stuff, but still be pushed. He should bollock you if you're slacking or not busting a gut.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
way underweight!
Where have you been recently?

Drinks on 14th, see the thread i started about playing a game.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Well janxy,

I am the opposite of you sadly- bit of a lardarse. i can remember my old boss telling me he thought fat people were lazy-(said looking directly at me) apart from wanting to go at him with a machete, I just dismissed him as a small minded twat, whose opinion counts for jackshit to me. As I am well aware that I am a bloody grafter if nothing else. In one sense his words stayed with me because its something Im very sensitive about, however I have no urge to ever see him again or impress him with what I have acheived. In fact I think so little of him because of his small mindedness and hurtful manner that I would really rather never see him ever again even if I acheived world domination and was a size 6.
Yes, sadly there are a lot of small minds around who spend all day playing Bland Mind's Bluff. Usually there is nothing like people being insulting for me to switch off and blank them from my orbit, but wouldn't whirling a machete be an interesting new form of exercise? Actually, it sounds rather appealing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.