Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Of course we all have. And hopefully our kids will.

Good to recognise it. Better to work with it to help the greater good. But apologising or undermining it isn't which is the game of the lefites isn't really so helpful.

Imagine what the world would look like if 'our' privilege was handed over to the Chinese or Indians.
I don't think anyone here is apologising or undermining it and 'lefties' is a rather meaningless term, although I am sure you were trying to be patronsing. We certainly need to recognise Western privilege and not be snotty gits.

I just haven't the energy to pick you up on the second paragraph...
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of people outside the west who have grown up with far more privilege than I had.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I don't think anyone here is apologising or undermining it and 'lefties' is a rather meaningless term, although I am sure you were trying to be patronsing. We certainly need to recognise Western privilege and not be snotty gits.

I just haven't the energy to pick you up on the second paragraph...
Not patronising at all. That's not my style - I say what I see.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:30 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
There are plenty of people outside the west who have grown up with far more privilege than I had.
Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life.

Cecil Zimbabwe
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

There are rich Indians and poor Brits.

Shrugs. I don't think either owes anything to the other.

You really don't see how Brits are privileged when compared to the rest of the world? I suggest you just want to argue for the sake of it.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 5:22 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What a shame. Fighting bigotry with arrogance doesn't work...I know because I've tried before.
Orcs? Elves? Arrogance? Irony?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 5:50 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
How are we the privileged ones?

I merely ask because this debate started when a British (of Pakistani heritage) made a casual reference to having Chinese, using an old slang for Chinese restaurants that emerged not out of a deliberate attempt to slur the nationality but the human tendency towards infantalised endearments and nicknames, and is told that we should know better because 'we are the privileged ones' despite that China is the world's second largest and certainly the second most powerful economy and where slangs for white Europeans are commonplace

I don't care for racially or ethnically insensitive slang, regardless of their intentions, and never use them, but I also don't particularly care for the patronising sneer of middle class politically correct respectability that is just as racist and discriminatory in its own way in the tolerance of double-standards and acceptance of perpetual victimisation.
There you go again.... You keep making this something that it is not.

When the comment was originally made, I asked the poster if she really thought that was acceptable. She replied that she hadn't thought about it but in hindsight was sorry. And that was it; until your intervention.

As I have been repeatedly saying, the point is about using specific terms that previously disadvantaged minorities have asked that people stop using because they are loaded with history and hurt. It's basic human respect. If you insist on your "right" to use such terms you can and should be called out for it. That's all.

Where is the "patronising sneer of middle class politically correct respectability"? This is not a theoretical or political point for me. As a gay Irish man who (through no choice of my own) spent considerable time in the UK in the 1970s and '80s, I am speaking as somebody who has been at the sharp end of such abuse, verbal and physical, as well as real obvious institutional discrimination (try the sheer blood-chilling fear of being a gormless Irish teenager detained and aggressively questioned by the Met for pure nasty sport in 1980). Things are very different now thankfully and we don't have to quietly lie down and take it any more.

So, if I see an instance of this, I call it out. If it was unintentional then the whole thing can be quickly and easily resolved. Which it was, until....

It became about the "right" of the playground bully to use whatever abusive language they wish with impunity. Not on my watch.

And please drop this continual straw-man about China - we are talking clearly about British Chinese/East Asian people.

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Mar 4th 2017 at 5:55 am.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 5:54 am
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
we don't have to quietly lie down and take it any more.
...unless we want to...

[just thought I'd get there first Milly].
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Orcs? Elves? Arrogance? Irony?
That post, as someone who doesn't have the first clue about the Lord of the Rings reference sounded really arrogant. Just thought it was fair point to raise that it doesn't win an argument.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
How are we the privileged ones?

I merely ask because this debate started when a British (of Pakistani heritage) made a casual reference to having Chinese, using an old slang for Chinese restaurants that emerged not out of a deliberate attempt to slur the nationality but the human tendency towards infantalised endearments and nicknames, and is told that we should know better because 'we are the privileged ones' despite that China is the world's second largest and certainly the second most powerful economy and where slangs for white Europeans are commonplace.
DXB i am certainly not pakistani lol nor have any connection to pakistan, other than friends who are pakistani
My parents were born and raised in East Africa - my grandparents were originally from India....hence i'm an Indian
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

you all need to seriously calm down lol
the bottom line is, and dare i say it, if you are 'white' you have never really experienced racial abuse in the true sense of the word and that's coz, as MISS ANNE and MEOW have pointed out....'white' people have always been the privileged race.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
you all need to seriously calm down lol
the bottom line is, and dare i say it, if you are 'white' you have never really experienced racial abuse in the true sense of the word and that's coz, as MISS ANNE and MEOW have pointed out....'white' people have always been the privileged race.

It is usually certainly easier being white but it doesn't mean you don't ever experience racism. It depends on where you are.

I'll judge people on many things, but the colour of their skin isn't one and I just don't get the sweeping generalisations that are still being perpetuated. The world is *****ed up.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It is usually certainly easier being white but it doesn't mean you don't ever experience racism. It depends on where you are.

I'll judge people on many things, but the colour of their skin isn't one and I just don't get the sweeping generalisations that are still being perpetuated. The world is *****ed up.
I think those with poor lift etiquette should be judged the hardest.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

even when someone agrees with you, you disagree with them

It's ok, I do the same.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
even when someone agrees with you, you disagree with them

It's ok, I do the same.
Ooooh no you don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.