British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Too many restaurants in Dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/too-many-restaurants-dubai-892833/)

DXBtoDOH Feb 28th 2017 6:55 am

Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Is the restaurant scene in Dubai overstuffed to bursting point? | The National

'In Dubai there is one place to eat for about every 280 inhabitants. In New York, it is one for about 420'

Your views on the dining scene? What's missing? What don't you like?

I find East Asian, particularly Chinese, a constant disappointment in Dubai. All the Asian places end up being 'pan asian' meaning a smorgasbord of dull quasi-Asian dishes.

IKnowNothing Feb 28th 2017 10:13 am

Re: Too many restaurants in Dubai?

I still love LemonGrass in Lamcy Plaza for Thai.

let's face it, the population (and their spending power) is dropping, there is more and more competition, what do the restauranteurs think will happen?

co durham boy Feb 28th 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12192713)
Is the restaurant scene in Dubai overstuffed to bursting point? | The National

'In Dubai there is one place to eat for about every 280 inhabitants. In New York, it is one for about 420'

Your views on the dining scene? What's missing? What don't you like?

I find East Asian, particularly Chinese, a constant disappointment in Dubai. All the Asian places end up being 'pan asian' meaning a smorgasbord of dull quasi-Asian dishes.

Far too many and far too many fad places as well . The glut of Peruvian Fusion places is astounding .

Coya was pretty good but to have 4 or 5 of these places around town , there's only so much ceviche a working man can stomach .

mission Feb 28th 2017 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12192837)
Seriously, in 2017 do you think that is a remotely acceptable term to use?

ok my bad....but in all honesty i don't mean it in a derogatory manner....just the way I express myself....

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 28th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12192903)
ok my bad....but in all honesty i don't mean it in a derogatory manner....just the way I express myself....

No, I guessed you didn't but it is an insulting term to some people and using it casually just suggests you don't care about that. It's your right to use the word but also my right to form an opinion about you if you use it. It's because I presumed exactly that you did not mean offence that I called attention to it.

But I agree that the Chinese food in Dubai is mostly shit!

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 1st 2017 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12192945)
But I agree that the Chinese food in Dubai is mostly shit!

Isn't there a place on JBR that does Italian AND Chinese?

That about sums it up. :thumbdown:

martinbkk Mar 1st 2017 11:28 am

We don't have too many great places to eat in Doha but Nobu is a bit of an exception, once you get past the bar fly lounge lizard pretentious twat brigade. At least the bar is well separated from the restaurant. Peruvian Japanese fusion might sound odd but it really is quite an experience, even after a few times. Get started with the salmon sashimi with jalapenos and go from there. Bring the extra flexible plastic though :)

martinbkk Mar 1st 2017 12:43 pm

I've found having 2 at the same time can somewhat alleviate that problem :)

Miss Ann Thrope Mar 1st 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12193967)
The trouble with Chinkies (it's always been called "The Chinkies" in the North, there is no animosity behind it, but if you want to be offended snowflake, so be it), is, you have one and an hour later you want another.

I'm not offended personally by the use of that word but I do find the use of the word to be offensive by any simple and reasonable standard.

Regardless of whether or not you think there is animosity behind your usage, the following facts remain:
- the word has been used to belittle and abuse a whole community of people based simply on their ethnicity;
- accordingly, most people from that community (people of East Asian birth and descent living in the West) have indicated that they do not find it an acceptable word to use.

Therefore if you insist on continuing to use it in the face of the simple and reasonable request not to use it then it follows that you are very ignorant or very bigoted. Or probably both. Being from the North is absolutely no excuse or alibi. In fact it ought to make you a little more sensitive to prejudice.

And hiding behind "snowflake" which is the latest alt-right replacement for "political correctness" to justify bigoted speech doesn't work either.

Oh and finishing off with a tired old stereotype which wasn't very funny when Jim Davidson (or Bernard Manning or whoever the hell) first trotted it out only makes it worse...

Millhouse Mar 1st 2017 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12194118)
I'm not offended personally by the use of that word but I do find the use of the word to be offensive by any simple and reasonable standard.

Regardless of whether or not you think there is animosity behind your usage, the following facts remain:
- the word has been used to belittle and abuse a whole community of people based simply on their ethnicity;
- accordingly, most people from that community (people of East Asian birth and descent living in the West) have indicated that they do not find it an acceptable word to use.

Therefore if you insist on continuing to use it in the face of the simple and reasonable request not to use it then it follows that you are very ignorant or very bigoted. Or probably both. Being from the North is absolutely no excuse or alibi. In fact it ought to make you a little more sensitive to prejudice.

And hiding behind "snowflake" which is the latest alt-right replacement for "political correctness" to justify bigoted speech doesn't work either.

Oh and finishing off with a tired old stereotype which wasn't very funny when Jim Davidson (or Bernard Manning or whoever the hell) first trotted it out only makes it worse...

I'm glad that you are protecting the minority interests of the Chinese readership of a British expats forum.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 2nd 2017 3:30 am

I can't believe an adult just used 'snowflake'.

Miss Ann Thrope Mar 2nd 2017 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12194312)
I'm glad that you are protecting the minority interests of the Chinese readership of a British expats forum.

I'm hardly protecting anybody from anything - I'm just expressing an important principle as you know very well: they came for the Jews and I did nothing, then they came for the Muslims etc..

weasel decentral Mar 2nd 2017 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12194728)
I'm hardly protecting anybody from anything - I'm just expressing an important principle as you know very well: they came for the Jews and I did nothing, then they came for the Muslims etc..

..they came for the racists and I did nothing :lol:

Millhouse Mar 2nd 2017 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12194728)

I once wrote an article about the murder of a Chinese restaurant worker in my local area for my school news paper. I went with the headline "I could murder a Chinese!" The teacher loved it, so did the people, but the PC police censored me. It was a sad day.

Millhouse Mar 2nd 2017 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12194732)
Oh come off it Gweilo and Chinky are not equivalent s and it's compeltely disingenuous to claim they are.

Paddy and Pouf don't rank as the most offensive words in the language either but if somebody chooses to throw either of them at me (and I don't know them very well) then:
1. I know they are a bigoted cnut;
2. they better be ready for a fight.

I am offended by being called Gweilo. So that makes it wrong.