My First Marathon

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Marathon

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
The QS in me says that most of the storeys will be the same height, and all the steps will be. Measure one step, count the steps in one storey, count the storeys, do some arithmetic.
Done... so results today are:

809m of up, 809m of down, 23km of running. So basically two jebal hafeets again.

No stiffness - but i do get bored. Drank 2 cans of (salted) pocari sweat during the run, and only had a cup of tea and a yogurt for breakfast before starting out.

No idea if i could smash away at it again for another 3 hours though
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the BBC documentary on Eddie Izzard's 27 marathons. Inspiring -- if slightly mad -- stuff. I think you should wear nail varnish.

Hadn't realised his first attempt failed on Day 4, after his muscles starting breaking down and leaking blood into his renal system.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Just watched the BBC documentary on Eddie Izzard's 27 marathons. Inspiring -- if slightly mad -- stuff. I think you should wear nail varnish.

Hadn't realised his first attempt failed on Day 4, after his muscles starting breaking down and leaking blood into his renal system.
that's why he did two on the last day
Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You're bonkers of course but I think it is an amazing thing you are about to do.

Good on you.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yesterday at Jebal Hafeet was the hardest thing I've ever done - I ended up doing around 1.5 ups and 0.5 downs - against my target of 2up, 1 down. I reckon I did about 20km all in (sadly forgot the watch to measure it).

I started at 5am and due to a couple of screw ups didn't really sleep until 1am so had about 3.5 hours sleep, I didn't eat dinner the night before (only a sharmwa at around 10.30pm) and to top it off had the shits due to a buffet I had been to earlier in the day.

Despite starting at 5am, by around 7am it was very hot. We finished at 8am and by then it was about 37C in Al Ain and very very dry. My friend (who also had the same amount of sleep, but had eaten more) managed to go up 2x times and down about 0.75x. He was truly broken by the end but all credit to him for doing it. He is a machine. He did about 30km all in.

That's the last long one now. Couple of 10kms and stairs to stay warm and roll on china in two weeks. Weather should be around 10C-25C (morning to afternoon) along the wall so hopefully easier conditions to what we have been training in.

zero stiffness today which I'm happy about.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 30th 2016 at 7:04 am.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:38 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

zero stiffness today which I'm happy about.
It's a sign of old age...
Old Apr 30th 2016, 2:20 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
It's a sign of old age...
you know Ill be a happy man the day that happens to me
I swear 99% of the trouble a man gets into is because of otherwise!

the older we get, the wiser we get is directly proportional to the older we get, the less we want it!

and oh an obligatory foxtrot oscar to Millhouse! I hope you get the shits in China (but only after the race is done and dusted, dont wana be too mean )
Old May 1st 2016, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
and oh an obligatory foxtrot oscar to Millhouse! I hope you get the shits in China (but only after the race is done and dusted, dont wana be too mean )
That's not very nice... and I was going to bring you back a fridge magnet.

As soon as the race is done, I'm on 7am big metal bird home.
Old May 1st 2016, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

That's not very nice... and I was going to bring you back a fridge magnet.

As soon as the race is done, I'm on 7am big metal bird home.
Hope you bunced up for bizzy class on the way back!
Old May 1st 2016, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Hope you bunced up for bizzy class on the way back!
Praying not paying for the upgrade
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm getting a bit nervous now... did the tower seven times last night, total time 49mins (including about 8mins of lifts), total climb up 470m, total forward around 2.5km.

The first climb in China is 600m, and will go forward 1.5km. I assume the down is quicker - say 30mins,

Thus we have 1.5 hours to cover the first 3km.

There are two of these climbs, so 3 hours to cover 6km of a 42km distance.

The balance of the 36km to run includes two further 600m climbs. I can do 11.5km, 1000m climb at Jebal Hafeet in around 1.5 hours, so just under three of them.

That is 7.5 hours of running at a minimum. I will take a spare battery for the phone.

Next year, I think I'll do it with a tumble dryer on my back.
Old May 2nd 2016, 3:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Going to wear a silly cozzy then to really add to the drama?

Good luck!
Old May 3rd 2016, 5:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm getting a bit nervous now... did the tower seven times last night, total time 49mins (including about 8mins of lifts), total climb up 470m, total forward around 2.5km.

The first climb in China is 600m, and will go forward 1.5km. I assume the down is quicker - say 30mins,

Thus we have 1.5 hours to cover the first 3km.

There are two of these climbs, so 3 hours to cover 6km of a 42km distance.

The balance of the 36km to run includes two further 600m climbs. I can do 11.5km, 1000m climb at Jebal Hafeet in around 1.5 hours, so just under three of them.

That is 7.5 hours of running at a minimum. I will take a spare battery for the phone.

Next year, I think I'll do it with a tumble dryer on my back.
No need to be nervous, sounds like your training has been excellent.

Just go there and execute the plan, don't go off too quick etc and watch out for those horrid trip steps.

Good luck mate, great cause and great effort.
Old May 3rd 2016, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
No need to be nervous, sounds like your training has been excellent.

Just go there and execute the plan, don't go off too quick etc and watch out for those horrid trip steps.

Good luck mate, great cause and great effort.
Thanks Scamp

Let's hope I'm not reporting this under the "Worst holiday's" thread in two weeks time.

I'm told most people go out too fast and fade after the first climb, and never really recover. My plan is to basically fast walk the first half, and run the second if there is still gas in the tank.
Old May 3rd 2016, 6:35 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Scamp

Let's hope I'm not reporting this under the "Worst holiday's" thread in two weeks time.

I'm told most people go out too fast and fade after the first climb, and never really recover. My plan is to basically fast walk the first half, and run the second if there is still gas in the tank.
祝� 好运!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.