British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   My First Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/my-first-marathon-875696/)

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 11:24 am

My First Marathon

So... at the grand old age of (almost) 38, I've decided to run a marathon. I hate running.

Which is why I've chosen the World's Hardest Marathon... 42km on the great wall of china, all on stairs. It's in May.

I have no idea if I will or can complete it. I'm reasonably well trained, but the farthest I've ever done was a half Marathon in DC around a month ago which to be honest I thought was fairly easy (although I was slow: 2hours 15mins) - I am very well trained on stairs.

As I basically dislike everyone and everything apart from kids, I've chosen a kids charity.

https://www.justgiving.com/WallRunner

Here's the page - feel free to donate, ignore or take the piss.

Cheers, S

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 11:38 am

Re: My First Marathon

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918829)
So... at the grand old age of (almost) 38, I've decided to run a marathon. I hate running.

Which is why I've chosen the World's Hardest Marathon... 42km on the great wall of china, all on stairs. It's in May.

I have no idea if I will or can complete it. I'm reasonably well trained, but the farthest I've ever done was a half Marathon in DC around a month ago which to be honest I thought was fairly easy (although I was slow: 2hours 15mins) - I am very well trained on stairs.

As I basically dislike everyone and everything apart from kids, I've chosen a kids charity.

https://www.justgiving.com/WallRunner

Here's the page - feel free to donate, ignore or take the piss.

Cheers, S

So...you like kids?

Adam Johnson got locked up for that mate.

Sponsorship done. Mental idea, so good luck and I hope there aren't any big steps.

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11918839)
So...you like kids?

Adam Johnson got locked up for that mate.

Sponsorship done. Mental idea, so good luck and I hope there aren't any big steps.

haha.... some of the steps are like 70cm! that's my past my waist.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918843)
haha.... some of the steps are like 70cm! that's my past my waist.

:rofl::rofl:

I honestly don't like making short jokes because you're actually a nice human being. I just can't help myself. I'm sorry.

TheShed Apr 10th 2016 12:20 pm

Given that its such a ridiculous marathon to start your career and the fact that I saw you fueling up in Taqado today - I will sponsor you as well. Give me a few hours to get to a computer.

Good luck :-)

DXBtoDOH Apr 10th 2016 12:23 pm

Forget it. 42 kms of steps without any serious advance training? You'll damage your body. And knees. And you do not want to damage your knees.

If you aim to do it a year from now then it's doable.

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11918867)
Forget it. 42 kms of steps without any serious advance training? You'll damage your body. And knees. And you do not want to damage your knees.

If you aim to do it a year from now then it's doable.

I might be more trained that I've alluded to...

I ran up Jebal Hafeet a couple of weeks ago, am going to do it twice this weekend. :lol:

Meow Apr 10th 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918870)

I ran up Jebal Hafeet a couple of weeks ago, am going to do it twice this weekend. :lol:

This is what happens if you don't spend enough time in bars.

iggle Apr 10th 2016 12:51 pm

Let me look in my wallet to see if i have any change....

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11918884)
This is what happens if you don't spend enough time in bars.

:goodpost:

She's right you know.

Irishbeekeeper Apr 10th 2016 1:59 pm

good luck mate
they are right about the knees and ankle bit you know
I have a dodgy knee AND a dodgy ankle on the same side (didnt know I had them till I took up squash again) and trust me when I say this that it is not fun to live with or for it to act up after you reach an older age

Bob Apr 10th 2016 6:28 pm

Good luck...but you're mental! :D

co durham boy Apr 12th 2016 3:30 am

Good luck and to be honest it looks like a pretty difficult task . i just did the RAK half and struggled and count myself as pretty fit and and in good shape for my age .

I reckon if you need some structured core training for that mate . Compound moves and core work will be a must .

Millhouse Apr 12th 2016 6:28 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11920453)
Good luck and to be honest it looks like a pretty difficult task . i just did the RAK half and struggled and count myself as pretty fit and and in good shape for my age .

I reckon if you need some structured core training for that mate . Compound moves and core work will be a must .

I have the core of a 90s Peter Andre mate.

Inselaffen Apr 12th 2016 7:30 am

Had a mate who was signed up for that a few years ago. forgot to set his alarm clock and missed it :)