Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

More news reports from the Magic Kingdom

More news reports from the Magic Kingdom

Old May 13th 2013, 8:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: More news reports from the Magic Kingdom

I reckon we need to worry more about the shit we CAN try and change.

Like making sure we don't have to fill our own fuel in Dubai. Protests are needed people, PROTESTS!
Old May 13th 2013, 10:40 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
I disagree, while I do know that atrocities happened, I do not believe the extent that is reported. And as for giving the jews a land because of a few victims of a war is totally beyond me. To say that the allies have serious blood on their hands is an understatement.
Do you disbelieve the Nazi's own figures of 6 million? Maybe they added a few extra to make themselves sound a bit meaner than they were.
Old May 13th 2013, 10:45 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Absolutely true, the fundamentalists will stop at nothing in a Jihad and when they believe the reward for Shahid to be so great that is a battle you cannot win. The last people to have the same faith/ideas in wartime was the Japanese and we know what happened there.

I think everyone should have a nice cup of tea and talk about it.
Well I actually symapthise with the Japanese as I feel the bombs should not have been dropped. Nothing can justify the wanton and absolute destruction that those 2 cities witnessed. Especially if you look at the numbers, most were the elderly, children and women.
The Japanese might have been wrong in their ideology but at which point does killing them in such large numbers become unethical? That's a question I am afraid I don't have an answer to. The bombs could have been dropped at an unpopulated area in Japan just to show their sheer strength, you know?
and as for a cup of tea, sure why not, even a pint of bitter
No argument which can't be fixed over a cold brew if you ask me mate.

Scamp I think we should campaign for a new visa segment : 'fuel boy'
1500 a month, lives in the boot and all you need to do is open the boot from inside the car and he will jump out and fill the car up! Could even be 'fuel girl'.
Junk in the trunk would make sense on so many levels then
Old May 13th 2013, 10:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Scamp I think we should campaign for a new visa segment : 'fuel boy'
1500 a month, lives in the boot and all you need to do is open the boot from inside the car and he will jump out and fill the car up! Could even be 'fuel girl'.
Junk in the trunk would make sense on so many levels then
I'm assuming you've been on youtube and watched the 'trunk monkey' adverts?

If not, drop whatever you are doing and go. NOW.
Old May 13th 2013, 10:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone should have a nice cup of tea and talk about it.
English with milk, Arabic with sugar, Japanese green or black? In a china teacup with saucer or a mug, a glass, or a china teacup without handle on a wooden saucer? Served with a diggy biccy, a Marlboro Red, or a bean-curd cake? I think that's where the hope of conciliation ends...
Old May 13th 2013, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
English with milk, Arabic with sugar, Japanese green or black? In a china teacup with saucer or a mug, a glass, or a china teacup without handle on a wooden saucer? Served with a diggy biccy, a Marlboro Red, or a bean-curd cake? I think that's where the hope of conciliation ends...
No custard creams?

**** that, I'll have a warm milk and sugar.
Old May 13th 2013, 12:14 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I actually symapthise with the Japanese as I feel the bombs should not have been dropped. I couldn't agree more, It was the largest most despicable experiment ever conducted.
Nothing can justify the wanton and absolute destruction that those 2 cities witnessed. Especially if you look at the numbers, most were the elderly, children and women.Something like 90/95% were civilians, awful.
The Japanese might have been wrong in their ideology but at which point does killing them in such large numbers become unethical?
War is and always will be unethical. I half see the American slant, how do you make a country where the people would rather die than surrender, surrender? Japan could of been the same as Vietnam or Afghanistan. Does it make the A bomb right? personally no way - but it had the desired effect.
That's a question I am afraid I don't have an answer to. The bombs could have been dropped at an unpopulated area in Japan just to show their sheer strength, you know?That would of been a better idea but history will never know whether it would of worked.

and as for a cup of tea, sure why not, even a pint of bitter
No argument which can't be fixed over a cold brew if you ask me mate.

The pub is my church.............
My one fear is that whilst unstable countries hold these weapons we could see another one used if they fell into the wrong hands.
Old May 13th 2013, 12:18 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
They would all have twinnings and marlboro red. Could we not decide things with paper, rock and scissors? Always worked for me and my brother. Its always the best of 3 too.
Old May 13th 2013, 12:24 pm

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

haha! Brilliant!
They beat me to it seems!
Old May 13th 2013, 12:33 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Scamp

Had never seen them before! Have you seen these ones? I still call one of my ex salesman badger..............The best one is on 2 minutes when he is selling to a lady.

Old May 13th 2013, 12:42 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Had never seen them before! Have you seen these ones? I still call one of my ex salesman badger..............The best one is on 2 minutes when he is selling to a lady.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RGJdNPiWZzQ
Is that why he's an ex-salesman?
Old May 13th 2013, 12:49 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Kix
Is that why he's an ex-salesman?
He was actually quite good if managed on a tight leash and you made sure he didn't lie. (He was my top salesman) He often said to single females where is your husband though
Old May 13th 2013, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Well I actually symapthise with the Japanese as I feel the bombs should not have been dropped. Nothing can justify the wanton and absolute destruction that those 2 cities witnessed. Especially if you look at the numbers, most were the elderly, children and women.
The question the americans asked themselves at the time was how many more american soldiers would have to die to take Nippon? Given the way that the Japanese had fought over all of the territories they occupied so far with their no surrender mindset the answer was many hundreds of thousands. The American high command also felt that dropping the bomb on unpopulated areas would not have persuaded the Emperor to surrender. So in the interests of saving American lives and persuading the Emperor the decision was taken to drop.
You should consider how many Japanese lives would have been lost had the bombs not been dropped because their cities were in reach of the B29s and the Americans would have pounded them.
Old May 14th 2013, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by mikewot
The question the americans asked themselves at the time was how many more american soldiers would have to die to take Nippon? Given the way that the Japanese had fought over all of the territories they occupied so far with their no surrender mindset the answer was many hundreds of thousands. The American high command also felt that dropping the bomb on unpopulated areas would not have persuaded the Emperor to surrender. So in the interests of saving American lives and persuading the Emperor the decision was taken to drop.
You should consider how many Japanese lives would have been lost had the bombs not been dropped because their cities were in reach of the B29s and the Americans would have pounded them.
Yes, I agree with the principle that some lives were lost to save many more and also save a lot of suffering. But do you think had the bombs not been dropped, the number of japanese dead (90,000–166,000 in Hiroshima, 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki) would be the same as these numbers? I think Japan was already on the verge of surrender with the consistent ariel bombings by the allies plus the fact that Russia from the other side had declared war on Japan and had invaded Manchuria on August 9, the day of the second bomb.
Old May 14th 2013, 7:22 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I think Japan was already on the verge of surrender with the consistent ariel bombings by the allies.
I do not believe that to be the case and that was the view also taken by the Americans. Perhaps I have a more robust view of war than your good self. But if you start a war you better be prepared to reap the harvest. Similarly I believe that the mass bomber raids led by Bomber Harris were effective as a part of the overall effort in forcing Germany to surrender.
Nowadays I think we have the luxury of proportionate force and targetting very effectively, the Gulf Wars demonstrate that very clearly. In WW2 that was not a luxury we had, at the time no one in Britain knew we were going to win so when Bomber Harris was instructed to kick ass and take names he most certainly kicked ass.