The House of Saud

Old Oct 24th 2015, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold
Default The House of Saud

What is really going on at Erga Palace in Riyadh? I just hope the wonks at foggy bottom in DC and ours at the FCO have a plan in the wake of of things turning out differently.

Story sounds like a plot out of The Game of Thrones

According to Alastair Crooke is a long-time observer of the ME. Here is what he recently wrote about SA:

"The third variable is Saudi Arabia. The Kingdom is becoming heavily extended financially in the face of the drop in crude prices. Linked to this, Saudi is over-extended politically: engaged in wars in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon and Libya; and in ensuring the survival of President Sisi’s government. On top of this, the kingdom is being led by a young man, the King’s son, who has crossed every al-Saud family ‘red-line’: by not accommodating other family branches in a ‘balance’ of power; by persuading his father unilaterally to tear-up the succession arrangements; by refusing access to his father, by taking ARAMCO under his control; and above all, by launching and conducting the war in Yemen, without seeking, or obtaining, the family’s support. Reports are openly circulating within the al-Saud family (which are now public), calling for the King, Prince Mohammad and Prince Naif – the two crown princes – to be deposed".

Syria: The Strategic Site : Conflicts Forum

Growing princes' revolt could bring down Saudi Arabian king Salman | Daily Mail Online
Old Oct 25th 2015, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The House of Saud

Inshallah the Sauds end up killing each other
Old Oct 25th 2015, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The House of Saud is not loved by all in the Arab World. Within Saudi Arabia itself, at least among the majority Sunni population, they are popular. Or maybe just feared. Fear does play a part in most Arab polities.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The House of Saud is not loved by all in the Arab World. Within Saudi Arabia itself, at least among the majority Sunni population, they are popular. Or maybe just feared. Fear does play a part in most Arab polities.
Better the devil you know.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scot47
The Saud family are quite a weird and funny bunch. I personally view them in the same way an English person views America, basically it’s a mixed feelings. An English person knows too well that the well-being of America is particularly crucial for the survival of the Anglo-Saxon culture, but at the same time he just can’t agree with all what the Yanks are doing. That’s why I personally believe that the dilemma of the century would be if there was a serious conflict between America and Europe and Brits would need to make a choice between which side to be on! For Arabs, KSA is equally crucial for the well-being of the creed and the stability of the region but they just can’t agree with everything they do.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to God that England never has to rely upon the treacherous race across the water for the survival of it's culture.
Even though America will soon be spic and England will soon be Syrian: there will always be Lytham and where there is Lytham, there will be culture
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:48 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Better the devil you know.
given the rifts in Saudi and popular support for what we might deem less than reasonable people, we'd better hope that whatever happens its a vaguely moderate or at least sensible extreme side that takes over, the alternative is a nightmare to consider
Old Oct 28th 2015, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
The Saud family are quite a weird and funny bunch. I personally view them in the same way an English person views America, basically it’s a mixed feelings. An English person knows too well that the well-being of America is particularly crucial for the survival of the Anglo-Saxon culture, but at the same time he just can’t agree with all what the Yanks are doing. That’s why I personally believe that the dilemma of the century would be if there was a serious conflict between America and Europe and Brits would need to make a choice between which side to be on! For Arabs, KSA is equally crucial for the well-being of the creed and the stability of the region but they just can’t agree with everything they do.
Almost sensible and half right post.

The only difference, is that the Saudis are really universally disliked. The GCC generally hate them, the Pakis hate them (for different reasons), the west distrust them - I have actually not met anyone who openly likes the Saudis - they even, for the most part, dislike each other.

Saudis are like Earthworms - no one actually likes them, but we all recognize they are needed to keep the carbon cycle and food chain going so we don't kill them off.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 2:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Saudis are like Earthworms - no one actually likes them, but we all recognize they are needed to keep the carbon cycle and food chain going so we don't kill them off.
The world could still function perfectly well without Saudi's input, and once Iran gets back on its feet I can imagine many countries preferring to buy their oil than the Saudis' if there was a need to. The small matter of arms sales might cloud the issue slightly.

And I like earthworms.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Almost sensible and half right post.

The only difference, is that the Saudis are really universally disliked. The GCC generally hate them, the Pakis hate them (for different reasons), the west distrust them - I have actually not met anyone who openly likes the Saudis - they even, for the most part, dislike each other.

These kinds of anti-Saudis sentiments comes mainly from those who are jealous of them
Old Oct 30th 2015, 7:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

These kinds of anti-Saudis sentiments comes mainly from those who are jealous of them
We can understand that you're jealous of them.

However, if you look around you, there is not one single aspect of civilised life that you can see that is the product of anything the Saudis have (there is perhaps one, in a limited way, but it's highly unlikely that your limited thought processes will be able to identify it -- but go on, have a go at astounding us). Try to think what the west would be like if it was based on untold wealth available without effort. Just ponder that for a little while, and put a little thought into identifying one single aspect of western civilisation that would exist if people hadn't had to make an effort to improve their lot and that of those around them. And then compare the result with what Saudi Arabia has contributed to the world.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 8:05 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

For comedic value you are the gift that keeps on giving
Old Oct 30th 2015, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
We can understand that you're jealous of them.

However, if you look around you, there is not one single aspect of civilised life that you can see that is the product of anything the Saudis have (there is perhaps one, in a limited way, but it's highly unlikely that your limited thought processes will be able to identify it -- but go on, have a go at astounding us). Try to think what the west would be like if it was based on untold wealth available without effort. Just ponder that for a little while, and put a little thought into identifying one single aspect of western civilisation that would exist if people hadn't had to make an effort to improve their lot and that of those around them. And then compare the result with what Saudi Arabia has contributed to the world.

I found that individuals who were brought up in council estate houses where they had to share a room, (or a box more like it) with other siblings, and were often fed on beans-on-toast as a main meal, given the parents were on state benefits, are the actual ones who have those kinds of ill feelings towards the Saudis who happen to live in big houses with maids and driven to schools in luxury cars.

How many siblings did you have to share a room with when you were (assuming you have grown by now) a kid ?
Old Oct 30th 2015, 12:34 pm
Hit 16's

I found that individuals who were brought up in council estate houses where they had to share a room, (or a box more like it) with other siblings, and were often fed on beans-on-toast as a main meal, given the parents were on state benefits, are the actual ones who have those kinds of ill feelings towards the Saudis who happen to live in big houses with maids and driven to schools in luxury cars.

How many siblings did you have to share a room with when you were (assuming you have grown by now) a kid ?
Responding to a question by asking a totally unrelated one is not a grown-up method of debate. Please grow up or **** off.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Responding to a question by asking a totally unrelated one is not a grown-up method of debate. Please grow up or **** off.
I would have thought you were familiar with its MO by now? I will answer though.

Hhhhmmm, jealousy you think? I grew up in a council estate and shared a room with my two younger brothers. My parents worked though, they would rather have died than take any form of state benefits.
It was very obvious to me at a young age that if I wanted to better myself I had to do something more than the rest of the family and others around where I lived. No one in my family had been to university and the chances of me doing so were zero. So when I decided school had taught me all it could I left and joined the forces. I learnt a profession and when I left the services I carried on in civilian life. Then the Middle East was willing to pay me handsomely for my skills because they did not have them out here. So I came here and am putting those skills to good use for a lot more money than I would receive in Europe. I would venture to suggest that most, if not all of the UK posters on here have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps.
Compare and contrast lets say an average citizen of KSA (male obviously because females are only breeding stock). The family have everything, maids to look after every little thing, no one has to raise a finger. No need to worry about educating themselves at school, who cares if they have no skills because they have so much money they can bring in infidels to do the real work. The state provides everything they want in the way of medicine etc. and free money for a house blah blah blah.

Now which of us two is the more useful person? Which of us contributes to society instead of being a net drain on resources, like oxygen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.