Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai or not... 48 hours to decide.. HELP!!

Dubai or not... 48 hours to decide.. HELP!!

Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

cagiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai or not... 48 hours to decide.. HELP!!

OK so I have been offered a job in the sandpit!!
I do not have long to decide but do have great gaping holes in my knowledge of living and workin over there.... a couple to get me started:
How long do I have to stay before i register myself as a resident?
If I leave the Uk with credit card debt, loan and a flat to rent how do I pay that off if im earning a tax free wage??
Can you set up an account in Dubai and transfer debt over so I dont exceed the minimum repayment??
How do i go about setting up an account?
Do I have to join a private medical practice?
Any good ideas for flat share websites??
What is an average room rate (live in London and pay £500 a month)
What is public transport like or do i need to buy a car?

and now i cant remember any more of the questions I wanted to ask and not sure if he should be a bit more excited
Oh.... any thing else you guys think i should have actually thought of??????
Cheers
Old Dec 13th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all
Default Re: Dubai or not... 48 hours to decide.. HELP!!

Originally Posted by cagiva
OK so I have been offered a job in the sandpit!!
I do not have long to decide but do have great gaping holes in my knowledge of living and workin over there.... a couple to get me started:
If I leave the Uk with credit card debt, loan and a flat to rent how do I pay that off if im earning a tax free wage??
Can you set up an account in Dubai and transfer debt over so I dont exceed the minimum repayment??
Any good ideas for flat share websites??

and now i cant remember any more of the questions I wanted to ask and not sure if he should be a bit more excited
Oh.... any thing else you guys think i should have actually thought of??????
Cheers
To be honest with you I would not take a job in Dubai unless you are getting at least £60,000 equivalent. Dubai is not a cheap place anymore. Out of the £60,000 be prepared to pay £30,000 minimum in rent P/A for a half decent apartment.

I am leaving Dubai on Monday morning after 5 years. I cant simply afford it anymore. What I am paying on rent in Dubai is more than 50% of my annual salary. I am better off in UK with the same salary and paying tax.

What line of work are you in if you dont mind me asking.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

cagiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
To be honest with you I would not take a job in Dubai unless you are getting at least £60,000 equivalent. Dubai is not a cheap place anymore. Out of the £60,000 be prepared to pay £30,000 minimum in rent P/A for a half decent apartment.

I am leaving Dubai on Monday morning after 5 years. I cant simply afford it anymore. What I am paying on rent in Dubai is more than 50% of my annual salary. I am better off in UK with the same salary and paying tax.

What line of work are you in if you dont mind me asking.
Im not likely to be earning that..... gonnna be based around the marine supplies industry...... prob 30k if im lucky... still i thought it might be ok if i was going tax free!!!
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Im not likely to be earning that..... gonnna be based around the marine supplies industry...... prob 30k if im lucky... still i thought it might be ok if i was going tax free!!!
I would think long and hard before coming over here, it is expensive. I think you might find it tough on that salary.

You don't register to become a residency your company sponsors you and gives you a visa. YOu would need a car. Villa sharing is illegal but you might be able to find a flat share. www.dubizzle.com.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

if you're single, and you rent a room in an apartment, you'll be ok...but you won't be able to go mad spending, or save much...that said, i'd do it, just for the experience...

MM, xx
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:43 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, MM is right.

I ain't on much more tbh, but I was lucky to get a cheap nice room, I rent a car and still go out all the time and have fun.

I to am single, came here with debts and still manage to send at least a grand sterling home every month.

Main thing is getting yourself cheap accomadation, dubizzle is the place to get it.

You can get a nice room in a nice area from anything between AED 4000 & 8000 a month depending on what you go for.

I initially had a nice size sea view room in a furnished 4 bed apartment in JBR which is right on the beach for AED 5500/month but now I found something cheaper through a friend.

Do it mate!!

Bison
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:33 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

As for setting up a bank account, your company may do that for you.

Your company should also provide medical insurance. Most Insurance companies work on an "approved" list or doctors, hosptials and chemists that they will reimburse you for. If you go to one that's not on the list, then you'll have to pay up for it.

Don't be mesmerised by the tax-free bit. We're paying more on rent than we were on tax in the uk. Add in other expenses and you may find you're no better off financially, but of course, there is "the experience" part of it to factor in. Also, in the current climate, it would be wise to factor in an exit strategy - there's no safetly net like there is in the UK!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Am back to BE after the last of my guests have finally left..... Relief

Right, so here goes:

Your employer takes care of this. You arrive on an "employment visa". This then gets converted to a residence visa (your employer would do this for you).

Not clear - do you have rental income in the UK? If so, set up a standing order from the account into which your rental income is paid to pay off your debts and monitor until fully paid off...

Also, if it doesn't cover your debts, then you would have to save here and transfer it to pay off your debts.

Pay off your credit card debts FIRST.

Yes.

Send me a pm once you're here. Will give you a contact. Another thing - if you are a female, then recommend you open an account with NBAD - they have an account for "ladies only" which does not require a minimum balance, so you don't have to pay any charges (typically AED 75 per month for not maintaining a minimum balance)

If not provided by employer, then recommended.

AED 4000 and above (coming down now)

Depends where you live and whether you plan to use the bus. But defiinitely recommend a car as the public transport infrastructure is not developed.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:49 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Am back to BE after the last of my guests have finally left..... Relief

Right, so here goes:

Your employer takes care of this. You arrive on an "employment visa". This then gets converted to a residence visa (your employer would do this for you).

Not clear - do you have rental income in the UK? If so, set up a standing order from the account into which your rental income is paid to pay off your debts and monitor until fully paid off...

Also, if it doesn't cover your debts, then you would have to save here and transfer it to pay off your debts.

Pay off your credit card debts FIRST.

Yes.

Send me a pm once you're here. Will give you a contact. Another thing - if you are a female, then recommend you open an account with NBAD - they have an account for "ladies only" which does not require a minimum balance, so you don't have to pay any charges (typically AED 75 per month for not maintaining a minimum balance)

If not provided by employer, then recommended.

AED 4000 and above (coming down now)

Depends where you live and whether you plan to use the bus. But defiinitely recommend a car as the public transport infrastructure is not developed.
I still owe £5k on my credit card and would never, ever have been able to pay any off if I had stayed in the UK, I had about £300 a month to my name for clothes, going out etc - now I have a hell of a lot more, go out, have more clothes than I've ever had in my entire life and still send cash back.

Come out here and pay your cards off, but be prepared to pay very little of for the first 6 months to a year.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

10 hours remaining to make a decision...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

he should come.. Dubai needs the residents..

and BE ME needs the posters..
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:56 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

10 hours remaining to make a decision...
You must be so bored, your keeping track of this?

Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison
You must be so bored, your keeping track of this?

9 hours and 43 minutes...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to do some research about the Inland Revenue as you may get clobbered when you return to the UK unless you stay overseas for five years.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

5 years, as long as you stay out of the uk for a whole tax year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.