Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Old May 10th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Originally Posted by r0briley
I really wasn't planning on bringing much back but now that I have booked with Icelandair and me and my son each have a two checked bag allowance it's a whole other ball game (I'm sure when it comes down to it though they'll probably be filled with shoes, bags and clothes that I was prepared to but don't really want to part with)
Having a hard day today-I have a half full dumpster and am struggling to find things to fill it with! Don't get me wrong I still have a houseful of stuff but it things that I'm hoping people will buy at one of my tag sales.
What helped me was to decide what I "needed" to take and also what mementos I "had" to take. The rest was sold or junked. Be prepared to grieve the items you leave behind, though. It's amazing how connected we are to our surroundings and our belongings are part of those surroundings. At all times, think forwards. You are going home and that's the most important goal.
Old May 10th 2014, 5:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, I will definitely take some tennis shoes with me if they are that expensive over there. I need new ones anyway so I might as well buy a couple of pairs. Do they wear them as much over there as they do in the USA?
I do
i thought of something else.
I wish I brought my really good Reverware stainless steel pan set. It's near impossible to find SS pans without glass lids, we had one explode so want solid lids. and when you find them they cost a bomb, they are also not as heavy as my US ones were.
Old May 10th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I do
I wish I brought my really good Reverware stainless steel pan set. It's near impossible to find SS pans without glass lids, we had one explode so want solid lids. and when you find them they cost a bomb, they are also not as heavy as my US ones were.
Thanks for the tip about pots and pans. I was wondering about those. Do the UK burner sizes fit the US pots and pans, though? Do they have ceramic top ranges over there? (I hope so!)
Old May 10th 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I do
Mummy, have you come across these pans - http://www.stellarcookware.co.uk/Pro...llar-1000.html

I use a set I bought ages ago - must be almost 20 years I have had them - and they are still as good as new.

I guess they might not be as heavy as you like (I never bought pans in the US so I don't really know how they compare), but it still might be worth looking out for them
Old May 10th 2014, 6:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tip about pots and pans. I was wondering about those. Do the UK burner sizes fit the US pots and pans, though? Do they have ceramic top ranges over there? (I hope so!)
Yes, I think they had ceramic tops in the UK way before they were common in the US.
Old May 10th 2014, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, US pots & pans will generally fit. Having said that, I do have a large frying pan (skillet) that I bought in the US which is a bit large for my UK cooker so it doesn't tend to get really hot at the outer edges.
Old May 10th 2014, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, I think they had ceramic tops in the UK way before they were common in the US.
Great news! Thank you!
Old May 10th 2014, 6:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Mummy, have you come across these pans - http://www.stellarcookware.co.uk/Pro...llar-1000.html

I use a set I bought ages ago - must be almost 20 years I have had them - and they are still as good as new.

I guess they might not be as heavy as you like (I never bought pans in the US so I don't really know how they compare), but it still might be worth looking out for them
Funny you should link those, that is what I ended up buying last week. They came the other day and I'm waiting to try them out. They look lovely and seem to be comparable to my old Reverware, so we'll see how well the rice comes out, that seems to be my gauge of pans.
I got a nice set of four from Amazon and will unpack the only pan I brought with us, my large skillet with a lid, it goes into the oven too so one pan cooking at it's best.
This is the set I got all I need now is a stock pot/dutch oven to make a ton of pasta at once to feed my hoards of kids. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stellar-1000...B267GAEJN5W4C1

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; May 10th 2014 at 6:24 pm.
Old May 10th 2014, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good to know you are sorted

It does seem a lot of money, doesn't it - but at least you know they should last a good while
Old May 10th 2014, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
This seems funny but I heard that ziplock bags with the pull along zip you cannot get there or ones with the double seal either?
Costco in Gateshead has them, not noticed how much they are though.
Old May 10th 2014, 10:46 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I love those kitchen products by Stellar! They sell them in Austin's in Londonderry. I always go up and have a look at them. They are as fine as any stainless cookware I've ever seen in the US.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

The Stellar pots look great! I have never heard of the brand but I am sure they are well known back home.
Old May 13th 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

I'll backtrack to the bed linens thread....I personally think the US sheets are far better quality for a far cheaper price. I just brought a US queen set to use on our UK king on my last trip to see family. All Egyptian cotton, very high thread count, and $60 for a set. The last UK fitted sheet I bought was nearly £20 for a fitted sheet, thin and nasty by comparison and not really deep enough despite being described as fitting "extra deep" mattresses.
Old May 17th 2014, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vadio
I'll backtrack to the bed linens thread....I personally think the US sheets are far better quality for a far cheaper price. I just brought a US queen set to use on our UK king on my last trip to see family. All Egyptian cotton, very high thread count, and $60 for a set. The last UK fitted sheet I bought was nearly £20 for a fitted sheet, thin and nasty by comparison and not really deep enough despite being described as fitting "extra deep" mattresses.
That's a great price, especially for Egyptian cotton which is just lovely!
Old May 19th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great price, especially for Egyptian cotton which is just lovely!
Yes it is, and the sheets are wonderful; 700 thread count, and generously sized. Washed like a dream (I think I need another set....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.