British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/what-take-back-whats-cheaper-us-than-uk-833428/)

windsong May 9th 2014 3:07 am

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

I am trying to decide what to take back to the UK from the US and it basically boils down to what is cheaper here than over there in terms of household goods - linens, pots and pans, etc.

I have been on the verge of buying bed linens (comforter, duvet cover, etc.) to take back but I don't know how the bed sizes between the two countries compare or if they are less expensive in the UK.

So . . . what is it a good idea to take back from the US and what is it best to buy in the UK?

dunroving May 9th 2014 7:25 am

Re: What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11253148)
I am trying to decide what to take back to the UK from the US and it basically boils down to what is cheaper here than over there in terms of household goods - linens, pots and pans, etc.

I have been on the verge of buying bed linens (comforter, duvet cover, etc.) to take back but I don't know how the bed sizes between the two countries compare or if they are less expensive in the UK.

So . . . what is it a good idea to take back from the US and what is it best to buy in the UK?

If cost is the major driver, remember that new is almost aalways more expensive than used.

Bed sizes are slightly different, but I took both beds back an have found new bed linen bought in the UK fits well enough.

I wouldn't go on a big spending spree before you come back. Spending sprees end up with you buying more than you really need.

Few things are truly "expensive" in the UK. I'd only buy things that you really can't buy here, which is ... almost nothing.

WEBlue May 9th 2014 10:18 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11253148)

If you're moving an American bed back to the UK, bringing linens that fit it are a good idea. If not, don't bring the linens. American bed sizes run larger than their British counterparts, if I recall correctly.

But if you find a good deal on a decent US comforter, I would go ahead and buy it; a large enough comforter can fit several bed sizes.....

feelbritish May 9th 2014 4:22 pm

This seems funny but I heard that ziplock bags with the pull along zip you cannot get there or ones with the double seal either?

rebs May 9th 2014 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11253838)
This seems funny but I heard that ziplock bags with the pull along zip you cannot get there or ones with the double seal either?

Yes, that is true - can't get 'ziplok' brand zippy bags.... might be worth throwing in a few boxes of those if you can.

Reynolds wrap is the other thing I would consider throwing in - I've not been able to find as strong foil here.

dunroving May 9th 2014 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11253838)

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 11253845)
Yes, that is true - can't get 'ziplok' brand zippy bags.... might be worth throwing in a few boxes of those if you can.

Reynolds wrap is the other thing I would consider throwing in - I've not been able to find as strong foil here.

I posted at length in a thread about this a while back and I think Englishmum said you can get proper "Zipper" type ziplok bags from Lakeland.

I still have loads left from my last "delivery" (friends coming from the US).

They are easy enough and light enough that it wouldn't hurt to throw in a couple of hundred - probably cheap enough from Wal-Mart, too!

I use, re-use, re-re-use and ... until they just about wear out so I get my money's worth out of them.

rebeccajo May 9th 2014 10:11 pm

Tesco has a zippy bag. Never used them but they are shown on their website.

I prefer Marks and Spencer bed linen to anything I can buy in the USA.

BritInParis May 9th 2014 11:03 pm

Levi's jeans are a fraction of the cost that you'll pay in the UK. Branded trainers likewise.

rebeccajo May 9th 2014 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11254293)
Levi's jeans are a fraction of the cost that you'll pay in the UK. Branded trainers likewise.

:lol: I know a guy who (over and over and over and over) use to cite Levis as one of the great examples of things being cheaper in the USA.

I can't afford them either side of the pond. And they don't fit me either. Made for stick women I think.:lol:

BritInParis May 9th 2014 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by rebeccajo (Post 11254300)
:lol: I know a guy who (over and over and over and over) use to cite Levis as one of the great examples of things being cheaper in the USA.

I can't afford them either side of the pond. And they don't fit me either. Made for stick women I think.:lol:

Well, that and petrol, but I don't think it's particularly practical to start putting fuel cans in your carry-on ;)

Sally Redux May 9th 2014 11:52 pm

You have to factor in the cost of getting it there though.

Things like casual clothing are cheaper here I think, but I wonder if it will look right in the UK.

robin1234 May 10th 2014 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11254341)
You have to factor in the cost of getting it there though.

Things like casual clothing are cheaper here I think, but I wonder if it will look right in the UK.

Pretty sure it wouldn't. If I were a woman, I'd stick with comfortable tweeds in England.

Sally Redux May 10th 2014 2:20 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11254442)
Pretty sure it wouldn't. If I were a woman, I'd stick with comfortable tweeds in England.

:lol:

cappuccino May 10th 2014 6:17 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11254293)

I always stock up on Levi's jeans when I am in San Francisco en route to the UK. I love to buy them in Macy's because they sell petite length in all sizes!

dunroving May 10th 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 11254527)
I always stock up on Levi's jeans when I am in San Francisco en route to the UK. I love to buy them in Macy's because they sell petite length in all sizes!

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the Levi's I buy at places like JC Penney are different than the ones in the UK Levi's stores. I much prefer the JC Penney-bought ones - the UK ones, as well as being very expensive, look like they have been dragged through a hedge backwards, all wrinkled and faded, but not in a "natural" way.

Just thought I'd make the point in case anyone bringing back Levi's expects to look "fashionable" (I think Sally R made the point in Post #11 about US clothes being cheaper, but may not be "fashionable" in the UK sense).

I'm at an age where I want to wear what I like rather than what everyone else says I should like, so it doesn't bother me that my US-bought Levi's look different.