Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by windsong
I think healthcare in the U.S. is going to get far worse before it gets better, especially if the insurance companies start raising rates like this.

What do retirees have to pay every month for decent health insurance in the U.S. - if they don't want to depend on Medicare, that is?

What does Medicare cover and what doesn't it cover?
That an encyclopedia of explanations on it's own. suffice to say that after 65's need gap insurance to cover what medicare doesn't and they cover a lot more than they used too My friends Dad (recently passed) and had Kaiser for his gap cover it was a few hundred a month, but he lived close to their medical offices and so was convenient. Never mind that the man lived on about $1,000 a month in trailer he owned and paid ground rent for it of close to $600 a month but that included his water and sewer. His daughter (my friend) bought and cooked the food for him and did the laundry, another sister chipped in with money for food and Electric. This man was a Korean war vet, worked hard always but never had high wages.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Hey, I see you only have 19 posts - stirring the pot isn't allowed until you have posted at least 25 times!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
Hey, I see you only have 19 posts - stirring the pot isn't allowed until you have posted at least 25 times!
Unadulterated chit chat! Hat! Corner!
I am feisty and grumpy this am. Got up too early for no apparent reason.
Horrors, save me, I'm guilty of chit chat too! Retreating to corner now.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Not sure about Nevada laws, but check with EDD about the legality of changing your status of full-time worker while on short-term medical disability.
I've also been thinking about the apparent policing of the 50-60's thread for seemingly "inappropriate" subjects being discussed in any depth. It is useful and comforting in some ways but perhaps the thread should be renamed "The general chit-chat and cheering section for 50-60's".............and awaiting the onslaught of the indignant and offended.
You know I have been wondering about that too to be honest. Maybe we should have more of a chat thread where we can discuss things in depth without treading on toes. Since I upset Celticspirit after her scolding us for talking about pies and cakes too much, and she felt moved to leave the over 50's and 60's thread I have been very reluctant to participate fully as things aren't always as they appear with the written word and I am wary of creating any more waves on there so barely responded to the US healthcare issue..........

Seeing as we are in the The Rovers Return, who's round is it next?

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 9th 2011 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Just wondering if we should ask the mods to change the title of this thread so more oldie chatters can join in, the US Healthcare bit might scare some off......

Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Yes ! I'm paying my own insurance which is $400.00 a month right now. I don't know what I'll do if these rate hikes become a reality.

I could rant but ....
Im paying $750 a month for 2 of us for 70% coverage, it can only get worse, I was hoping Obama would set up a one payer system but Reps squashed that idea, and now they are ready to back pedal on the rest, at some point we wont be able to afford to pay these rates, its only a matter of time.

What you saw in Arizona is the start of a trend as i see it. there is so much division in the country, we all know who is doing all the talking, switch on the radio if you dont know.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You know I have been wondering about that too to be honest. Maybe we should have more of a chat thread where we can discuss things in depth without treading on toes. Since I upset Celticspirit after her scolding us for talking about pies and cakes too much, and she felt moved to leave the over 50's and 60's thread I have been very reluctant to participate fully as things aren't always as they appear with the written word and I am wary of creating any more waves on there so barely responded to the US healthcare issue..........

Seeing as we are in the The Rovers Return, who's round is it next?

How can you not tread on toes, its impossible, I think Celtic was just as bad as you Barb, it takes two, just dont talk about Healthcare... LOL... That can upset some people who seem to think its the Best system in the world, people are so gullable and Blind.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:39 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
How can you not tread on toes, its impossible, I think Celtic was just as bad as you Barb, it takes two, just dont talk about Healthcare... LOL... That can upset some people who seem to think its the Best system in the world, people are so gullable and Blind.
I have a problem with being told what to talk about.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
One other thing that struck me last night is that what your employer did could well be a violation of ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Did they change a whole group of employees to part-time while you were sick, or were you the only one? If you were the only one, then you would have a strong claim that they discriminated against you because you were ill. I know you won't be here to pursue it, but it might be worth using when you talk to HR.

btw I find it sad that the main reason why so many people have to think about leaving the US is deemed too 'political' to be discussed in the main over 50s thread. This illness and the state of healthcare affairs in the US is one of the main reasons ladyinlv wanted to leave. But even bringing up the subject is cause for her to be shunted off into a side thread. I don't get it. If you live here and you think the US healthcare system is just fine and dandy, good for you. But surely you can still see why she would feel the way she does and allow her to discuss it, just the way others discuss childhood memories or selling their house. Nuts!
Thank you Sally..
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
But there is no "system" it's a commodity surely ? You can either afford it or not ?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

But there is no "system" it's a commodity surely ? You can either afford it or not ?
Well, being the one to cause all the controversy, I have to admit I was a little surprised to be chastised for talking about what was on my mind. I was under the impression that we are all friends here, and I was very upset that day, and wanted to discuss it with my friends. I think it is a very relevent subject for 50s, and 60s, it is a huge reason alot of us move back to the UK, therefore discussing it in that thread seemed to me to be appropriate .
I am not selling a house, or shipping animals or funiture home, but this is the subject that is affecting me.....just sayin!!..
Jackie
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Call it what you want, 40 Million cant afford it and the rest of us pay for their visit to hospitals, Somebody pays and its us, the Idea of free heathcare to the poor is false, the consumer always pays one way or another.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Holy cow I thought I'd look up what it would cost us or a family plan now seeing the company covers us and I haven't had to pay premiums in a while.
This is a family, two parents one teen and one little one. It now costs more per month than our house.

Cheapest PPO plan
$661 a month, Deductible is $6,000 for and individual and $12,000 for the family.
$30 per doctor visit.

The middle plan.
$1,449 a month $3,500 deuctable (two meet it and everyone is covered for the year) $40 doctor visits

More expensive plan PPO.
$1,697 a month $0 deductible $25 per doctor visit

No way we could afford anything now I used to pay 600 a month for 4 of us and we had a $15,000 deductible I was close to making clothes out of bubble wrap for the kids. I paid for is as we had two of us working, now it's just Dh. He has great coverage through work for all of us, but come 2014, they want to start taxing us on the value of the health plan we get, it's about $20,000 a year so I'm told, so out income will shrink even more. We so need to move before the. 2012 2012 2012

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jan 9th 2011 at 8:00 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Well, being the one to cause all the controversy, I have to admit I was a little surprised to be chastised for talking about what was on my mind. I was under the impression that we are all friends here, and I was very upset that day, and wanted to discuss it with my friends. I think it is a very relevent subject for 50s, and 60s, it is a huge reason alot of us move back to the UK, therefore discussing it in that thread seemed to me to be appropriate .
I am not selling a house, or shipping animals or funiture home, but this is the subject that is affecting me.....just sayin!!..
Jackie
(((hugs))) you can tell us all you want I really do understand where you are coming from on this. It can be very scary.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
(((hugs))) you can tell us all you want I really do understand where you are coming from on this. It can be very scary.
Thank you Mummy.. (I have to say it seems wierd calling you mummy..lol..)
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Jackie
T was very insensitive to you, not for one minute did she give you the benefit of the doubt, or bother to look.

As soon as the health care issue comes up its "OFF TOPIC", of course burying some figurine is not!, thats a totally relevant issue... Right !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.