Starting again late 40's

Old Apr 26th 2015, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of
Default Starting again late 40's

Just wondering if Im being an idiot for considering a career change in my late 40's.

I always wanted to be a vet nurse but got offered an amazing job after leaving school at 18, not a career position as such but well paid by a huge company in production planning, so I didnt do the 2 year course.

All my life Ive just moved from various office positions, I find the work boring, I started my own small business in canada but find it very tying, 7 days a week plus I dont enjoy it anymore, Im planning on a huge life change, divorce(still working up to telling hubby)and moving back to the UK.

I will be able to afford a decent house so will have no mortgage and I will have enough spare cash to get me through at least 1 year without work.

Heres the thing, I really want to do the 2 year vet nurse course, but will anyone want to employ me when Im almost 50, I look much younger so could possibly get away with not mentioning my age to employers if I skip school dates on my CV, people still think I am early 30's at a push.

Then I worry that missing out on 2 years of work will put me even farther behind in retirement cash, I havent paid into a pension for 15 years, I have a frozen pension with nestle in the UK but thats it.

I just feel Ive always done what other people thought was best for me, parents, then hubby and Ive never done what I want but at the same time Im scared I screw up and after doing vet nurse course cant get a job doing it anyway and end up working in an office again!

I guess in a way thats what lifes about isnt it?!

Anyway, looking for opinions from anyone who has done something like this and either regretted it or been glad they did, thanks so much
Old Apr 26th 2015, 4:23 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting again late 40's

My two cents fwiw...

I know it's your dream but doing so now is kind of risky in terms of future/pension...it's likely your age will come out at some pountand while I don't think it's necessarily a problem, the two yr course at this point for a job change seems unnecessary.

Could you move over here- find a job that you can do part time, keep you comfortably and keep your savings and volunteer with animals instead?
Old Apr 26th 2015, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of

Yes, thats the sensible thing to do and I think I know its for the best, maybe Im having a mid life crisis lol!

Just would be nice to have a job that pays good and that I look forward to going to in the morning.

But as you say losing any spare cash I have and losing 2 years work money is quite a lot really.

If I could find a job in the post office Id be happy, I love driving too plus early mornings and being done ealry afternoon too appeals to me as I will have horses when Im there too

Im just tired of being sensible!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

i changed careers at age 49. I have been in US for 31 years. I work as a speech language pathology assistant which means I get to work with kiddos whereas my boss does all paperwork. I want to return to UK but factor in my age when looking for work in UK. I think you should do the vet nurse programme but then completely understand the retirement/pension issue. I wish you well. Keep us informed!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 7:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isismom
Yes, thats the sensible thing to do and I think I know its for the best, maybe Im having a mid life crisis lol!

Just would be nice to have a job that pays good and that I look forward to going to in the morning.

But as you say losing any spare cash I have and losing 2 years work money is quite a lot really.

If I could find a job in the post office Id be happy, I love driving too plus early mornings and being done ealry afternoon too appeals to me as I will have horses when Im there too

Im just tired of being sensible!
Well we each have our own degree of risk...I'm fairly risk averse when it comes to money...and personally I guess I would rather enjoy the money in a different way..holidays/nest egg etc.

Err I've just noticed your user name...interesting!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I like Tiry Tory's idea as well of small part time job and volunteer with animals in the US.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Well we each have our own degree of risk...I'm fairly risk averse when it comes to money...and personally I guess I would rather enjoy the money in a different way..holidays/nest egg etc.

Err I've just noticed your user name...interesting!
Horses name, Isis, also a dog I know!

Yes, I keep thinking what I could do with that 2 years wages plus nest egg, I guess itll be a case of moving there finding a job and as the course doesnt start till spring 2016 if I find Im happy enough then Ill prob stay in my job!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fulwood
I like Tiry Tory's idea as well of small part time job and volunteer with animals in the US.
Ill need a full time job, need to get pension pumping so I actually have something when I retire!

I may do 1 day volunteering at a vet clinic if theyll have me, Id enjoy that and learn lots Im sure
Old Apr 30th 2015, 6:49 am
Just Joined

ellabon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Starting again late 40's

2 weeks ago I attend my graduation ceremony. After 6 years of study I have now completed my Bachelor of Primary Education. I am also 46 years old and can't wait to get out there into the workforce again. I still have a lot of working years left before retirement. So no you are not to old to start doing something that you are passionate about.
Old May 1st 2015, 4:37 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Tor's idea is an excellent starting block. Volunteer work can be very fulfilling and is bound to open doors, that may mean you can work and study at the same time.
I've been helping at my kids school, 2 mornings a week. I intend to follow along the same path when we return and ultimately I'm aiming for part time TA work. The teacher I've been helping has already given me a full professional reference!